BOINC Client question about scheduling

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
I've been searching for this answer but have not quite found if it is even doable. It does not seem possible but maybe someone knows different.

I have a box which has an ATI 4850 GPU and I want to put it to fold however I do not want that it folds all day. Only during the coolest parts of the day...say between 19:00 and 07:00.

That same box is constantly folding with its CPU so the question is: Is there way to put the GPU on a schedule without changing the CPU schedule?

I use the BOINC client for folding. (WCG, Correlizer and Milkyway@home)

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Should be doable. Here's how:

1. If you're using the V7 client, disable its GPU work (after the next WU finishes.)
2. Set up the V6.38 command-line GPU client.
3. Set up a scheduled task in Task Manager that starts at 19:00 every day, but is killed if it runs more than 12 hours.

(I assume you're running the Windows v7 client because otherwise you wouldn't ask about changing the schedules separately.)

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

1. If you're using the V7 client, disable its GPU work (after the next WU finishes.)
3. Set up a scheduled task in Task Manager that starts at 19:00 every day, but is killed if it runs more than 12 hours.

(I assume you're running the Windows v7 client because otherwise you wouldn't ask about changing the schedules separately.)

For F@H that might work - but BOINC?

zidan

Jun 25, 2008
For WCG you can handle scheduling for run times at the world community grid website. You will have to login to your account to manage your device profiles (click on "Device Manager" and then "Device Profiles"). You would then create a custom profile to limit runtimes. However I think this will affect both CPU and GPU computing. I am not sure about what options are available for the other projects.

I would suggest using TThrottle available at http://www.efmer.eu/boinc/ if you are worried about temps. This way you can set the max temp you are comfortable with and your CPU or GPU will be automatically throttled to stay below that temp.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002

Thanks for the info!
I will be looking into that and post back with results...I may not do it right away but definitely need to get the ball rolling. :)

Last edited:

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
I am actually version 6.12.34. I prefer to stick non-beta software.
So does that damage the plan?

I assume v7 is the dev version.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
I would suggest using TThrottle available at http://www.efmer.eu/boinc/ if you are worried about temps. This way you can set the max temp you are comfortable with and your CPU or GPU will be automatically throttled to stay below that temp.

This is definitely an alternative. Yes, I am a bit worried about temps and I want to do more testing to decide but the initial plan is to do half day or perhaps do the throttling.

Thanks also for the info!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I use the BOINC client for folding. (WCG, Correlizer and Milkyway@home)
Just to mix projects a little more...
cowtoon.png

I'm cowfused...

WCG may do a little protein folding, but not much if any. I guess Correlizer's doing DNA folding. And maybe Milkyway@home is doing galaxy folding, but that's a stretch.

Are you or are you not using Folding@Home?

Edit: For BOINC, you can set scheduled tasks to run the boinccmd tool to turn the GPU on and off.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Just to mix projects a little more...
cowtoon.png

I'm cowfused...

WCG may do a little protein folding, but not much if any. I guess Correlizer's doing DNA folding. And maybe Milkyway@home is doing galaxy folding, but that's a stretch.

Are you or are you not using Folding@Home?

Edit: For BOINC, you can set scheduled tasks to run the boinccmd tool to turn the GPU on and off.

Do we regard BOINC as "crunching" versus folding??? :)

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
I suppose I was using folding and crunching interchangeably. I mean crunching.

I do not use the F@H client...currently only use the BOINC client.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Usually yes ...
"folding" is mostly used for "Folding@home"
"crunching is used for number crunching, i.e. all prime projects, maths projects code cracking etc. It is also used for physics projetcs, astronomy projects etc, and has - by extension - become a "catch all" for BOINC.
Then we have much more seldom used term of "priming" which is used mostly by me to denote crunching PrimeGrid ...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
As long as we are on the topic of BIONIC and "crunching"

I have anywhere from 2-4 systems (scattered across time zones) and in theory attached to TeamAnanadtech.

Anyway to verify that the units are being credited to the team?