BOINC bombs after lastest Windows updates

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Installed the latest updates, rebooted and now BOINC cannot connect to a host. Tried to force it to connect....no go. This is just on my work PC so far, I'll have to check all my other systems...but...heads up!

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
I had to delete all the files in the BOINC directory and then reinstall to get it working again......arrrrrggggggg. Hope all my BOINC service PC's are OK, I'm going to check on one of them now.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for the heads-up, BadThad - I hope no one else will get hit by this problem.
Earlier today (before this post was published) I updated 13 comps - from PIII 800 MHz to Athlon 64 3200+ with variing amounts of RAM ... and had no problems at all with BOINC - or anyting else either.
Before updating I always shut down as many programs as I can - including BOINC, leave only the firewall and antivirus on (which I update just before updating Windows ...).
I also send all finished results to the projects ... but I am somewhat paranoid ... It takes about 3 minutes + the time of the update (i.e. about an hour to do this chore on 13 comps) but it is IMHO worth the effort.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Glad you posted this.

I had to reinstall the Windows OS last night on my two primary systems ... all right after the latest updates. Luckily, the REPAIR install worked and I didn't lose any stuff.

I haven't checked the other nine systems. :(

I wonder how many other computers have been affected?

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Just checked one of my service machines, updates were ready, but not installed. Installed, rebooted and all seems fine there. This machine was running one of the older Truxoft optimized clients.....as was the PC I had problems with.

Maybe this was an isolated issue? :confused:

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: petrusbroder
Thanks for the heads-up, BadThad - I hope no one else will get hit by this problem.
Earlier today (before this post was published) I updated 13 comps - from PIII 800 MHz to Athlon 64 3200+ with variing amounts of RAM ... and had no problems at all with BOINC - or anyting else either.
Before updating I always shut down as many programs as I can - including BOINC, leave only the firewall and antivirus on (which I update just before updating Windows ...).
I also send all finished results to the projects ... but I am somewhat paranoid ... It takes about 3 minutes + the time of the update (i.e. about an hour to do this chore on 13 comps) but it is IMHO worth the effort.

Yea, that's just good practice. I'll be sure to at least first dump all my completed work from here on. I can't bear to lose completed work, lol.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Smoke
Glad you posted this.

I had to reinstall the Windows OS last night on my two primary systems ... all right after the latest updates. Luckily, the REPAIR install worked and I didn't lose any stuff.

I haven't checked the other nine systems. :(

I wonder how many other computers have been affected?

Damnit! Well, a repair is better than a reinstall....but did the repair invalidate the updates? Hope these updates don't hose any of my computers to that point!

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Most of my service PC's (the ones I got to today) were all fine after the updates. Might just be an issue with the "Single User" installation or something specific to my machine.

I have another perplexing issue though....on some of my service PC's I find the service stopped. Not sure why the service would stop? I know the users are far too ignorant to stop the service, so that's not the issue. I've experimented with the services by changing the "log on" tab from the local administator account to "local system account"...but the problem seems to persist. Anyone else have any ideas?

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Hmm.. I'm using the Single-User install on my PC at work and I didn't encounter any issues when I did Updates(which was about 5 minutes ago.) In fact, I deliberately did the updates after reading your post to see if I could confirm a problem, which I cannot.

My system is XP Pro - I can send you a list of the updates I did if it's of any help. :)

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
This is to reply to BT:

Actually, I'm not sure. Things are running just fine and I'm leaving in a few days so I don't want to take any more chances.

My laptop seems to be fine and that is what I will need to work properly for the next 10 days.

Edit: I just looked at Windows Update and the Repair Install has me all the way back to SP2 Install Date. So I have lots of updates coming.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: networkman
Hmm.. I'm using the Single-User install on my PC at work and I didn't encounter any issues when I did Updates(which was about 5 minutes ago.) In fact, I deliberately did the updates after reading your post to see if I could confirm a problem, which I cannot.

My system is XP Pro - I can send you a list of the updates I did if it's of any help. :)

Just check two of my single user installs at home, they are fine. This must have been an isolated incident.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Smoke
This is to reply to BT:

Actually, I'm not sure. Things are running just fine and I'm leaving in a few days so I don't want to take any more chances.

My laptop seems to be fine and that is what I will need to work properly for the next 10 days.

Edit: I just looked at Windows Update and the Repair Install has me all the way back to SP2 Install Date. So I have lots of updates coming.

Lot's of updates, good luck....LOL.

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
My problems may be associated with IE 7.

I started having problems with links inside of my Outlook Express not working. I read that might be an issue when you install IE 7 beta. I UNINSTALLED IE 7 beta and things really got messed up ... I had to REINSTALL IE 7 beta.

That little scenario might have had my systems already on the brink. I remember I had trouble with the .NET Framework not installing properly during yesterday's updates on both Smoke1 and Smoke2.

Thank goodnes I left "Smoke" alone and just let it run Rosetta. 1,564.03 RAC and still climbing. :p :D

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Well, didn't have any problems on my computers, everything is chugging-along nicely...

As for the problems, with no info to go by can only make the general suggestion of upgrading to latest official BOINC-client if runs an older one, and remember that upgrading often means needs to give access through firewall again...

Dalephi

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003
All of mine that I have updated are fine. In the past I have had clients that had problems connecting to the local host once in a while. Sometimes I could close the client and restart it but most of the time I had to reboot the computer. Never did understand why it would have a problem connecting to the localhost.