BOINC attach problem

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Hi folks-

I was hoping someone much wiser than me in the ways of DC might be able to help me out. I recently got a new work laptop (HP 2560p, Sandy Bridge based i5). I installed a clean copy of Win7Pro 64 on it, followed by all the drivers from the HP website. At that point, everything seemed fine, and I installed Chrome and turned on Windows Firewall, and got online with no issues. Next I pulled down BOINC 7.0.28 and installed, with no issues that I could see. However, when I tried to attach to a project, I got a BEX error on boincmgr.exe. Strange. So I disabled the firewall, and tried again with same results. Next I tried disabling DEP for BOINC processes, and still no luck. Uninstalled BOINC, and pulled down 6.10.58 from the WCG site, hoping that might work. It did, sort of, it allowed me to connect to WCG, but same error when I tried to attach to any other projects. I've tried messing around with the proxy settings, then tried everything again with a clean install of Win7 Home 64 on the laptop with no success.

I haven't turned up anything in the BOINC wiki after going through a few pages of various returned search results, and google finds me some cases with people who had similar issues in various flavor of linux, but nothing on Win7. Before I do any more digging, has anyone here seen this before? Is it just something simple, that I, being tech-challenged, might have missed? Thanks in advance.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
ok, I'll take a shot at trying to help.

I'm assuming you've taken the 2+ hours worth of time going through the windows update process and that you've downloaded the 64-bit version of boinc from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

If the 64-bit version of boinc doesn't work you could try the 32-bit version.

On the linux side, an invaluable tool is called ldd. Depending on which linux distro you are running, sometimes it takes an effort to find the libraries that are required to get the latest version of boinc to run.

So "ldd boinc" gives you a list of all libraries required to run the app and you simply go down the list and identify the ones that are labeled "not found" and then go to the repositories and download and install the missing libraries.

there's an equivalent program for windows called dependency walker which is free and is here: http://dependencywalker.com/

It'll highlight dll's that are missing to run the app of interest.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Thanks biodoc, RudyToody. BEX is some kind of windows overflow error. As it turns out, I figured it out last night, but you were right, biodoc. I was using the 32-bit version of BOINC and for some reason, this installaltion of Win7 didn't like it. As soon as I switched to the 64-bit version, the attach project worked. This is odd, as I have 2 64-bit Win7 installations running 32-bit BOINC with no issues.

But I appreciate the input. Maybe this will help someone else - I did see in one of the BOINC forums someone mentioned that depending on how BOINC is installed between the Program Files x86 and Program Files, it could also cause issues in communication between BOINC manager and the actual BOINC process. That could be a possibility as well, but I neglected to check before I uninstalled the 32-bit version. :p