boinc - apparent "CPU is busy" error

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
having an apparent issue where boinc is rapidly suspending and resuming computation. it suspends and then resumes in pulses of either 10 or 20 seconds each. i don't think there's anything running in the background. has happened today for both climate prediction and milkyway.

any thoughts, other than setting the threshold to 50% from the default 25%?

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Are you crunching both projects at the same time? If each project is about to miss the deadlines, BOINC behaves like this.

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
My guess is the "Computing allowed While processor usage is less than "X" percent" BOINC setting.

But that's pure inference based on context.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
"Computing allowed While processor usage is less than "X" percent" BOINC setting.
I thought the default setting was "0" percent.

The BOINC "priority" is so low that it lets everything else run first, why would you need to have 25% or 50%?

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I thought the default setting was "0" percent.
If my recollection isn't too fuzzy there was multiple forum-threads on various BOINC-projects about this new preference warning users about the limit not being zero, around the time this was introduced in the BOINC-clients.

As for needing such a setting, while any BOINC-application should in theory step out of the way, in practice this is not always the case if you run a badly-behaving non-BOINC-application. Normally using the exclusive app-mechanism for these (badly)-behaving applications is better, it's possible some applications is more-or-less continuously being run but only ocassionally uses any significant amount of cpu. Suspending all crunching just so these applications on their CPU-spikes should get priority would not be a good idea.