Boener Backs Paul Ryan for President

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Another one. It just does not end!

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/boehner-endorses-paul-ryan-for-president-220855

"If we don't have a nominee who can win on the first ballot, I'm for none of the above," Boehner said at the Futures Industry Association conference here. "They all had a chance to win. None of them won. So I'm for none of the above. I'm for Paul Ryan to be our nominee."
Boehner, who now splits his time between Florida, Ohio and D.C., had long whispered to friends that he believes Ryan could be the party's political savior if it came to that.

But Boehner never said it publicly until now.

In the same question-and-answer session here, Boehner referred to Ted Cruz as "lucifer." He previously called the Texas senator, who led the failed Republican effort to shut down the government over Obamacare, a “jackass.”

Besides the ongoing GOP intra-feud, the question of delegate math lingers. When you go to the convention with a candidate with 40% delegates, another with 30%, another with 20%, and the rest with 10%, what is a legitimate way to pick the nominee? Apparently the GOP rule book dictates free-for-all after the 1st ballots, but many people seem to regard it as undemocratic. But what would be?

As an aside - Ryan, had he run this year and won the nomination in a normal course of business, would probably beat Clinton by landslide. As the luck has it, he probably could not imagine back then where his party would be now.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
It'd be funny if Trump played Hitman for a few months before the convention and really hit Clinton in the mouth figuratively with attacks, and then handed off the baton (i.e. delegates) to Paul Ryan at the convention to "Finish Her!" in the election. I'd be disappointed but it'd be a yuge victory for the SCOTUS' future.