Boehner finally concedes to raise taxes on the rich.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Yeah disaster averted. The government can reduce the $1.4 trillion deficit by $100 billion.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Now they just need to talk about how much money they can cut from the DEA for the failed war on drugs and how much revenue legalizing, regulating, and taxing marijuana will bring into the coffers.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Thought #1, even if Boehner is willing to make concessions, McConnell in the Senate still has the Filibuster veto he can play the remainder of 2012.

McConnell may not have much brains, but he sure is super partisan and stubborn.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
Nobody cares about the top 2% (except those of us who are in the 2%)? You guys sure as fuck to seem to care a lot about us. We have what you want - money - and are slobbering like the Foghorn Leghorn weasel trying to get after it.

You don't care about the 2%, except we are providing the new revenue.

The taxes for everyone should have been raised. According to the APPA Americans spent $50 BILLION on pets in 2011. All of us can afford to pay for school and infrastructure when we spend $50 BILLION on pets alone. Let me know when we are closing in on real poverty, not just American Poverty where we have to cancel HBO and drop our unlimited data plans to "make it."

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
There is no new news here. No concession on the Republicans refusal to raise tax rates on the rich.

This is simply Boehner respinning the busted republican proposal for closing unspecified loop holes in lieu of tax increases.

Allready been rejected by the WH.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Yeah disaster averted. The government can reduce the $1.4 trillion deficit by $100 billion.

No actually, it's $1.1T. The upper income 2%'ers at 39.6% rates along with estate tax increases among several others is likely to save closer to $100B+/yr. Then there's another $200B more savings with lower spending in health care (making insurance & pharmaceutical companies pay more) and defense. And finally, probably another $400B-$600B in additional corporate tax revenue and general improvement in the labor market pushing up payroll tax revenue next year as the economy continues to improve.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I'm pretty sure Bohner conceded higher taxes right after the election. The question is how (higher rates or reduced deductions) and by what amount. Both the President and the Repubs have already proposed amounts of additional tax revenue. They are far apart.

Fern

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
No actually, it's $1.1T. The upper income 2%'ers at 39.6% rates along with estate tax increases among several others is likely to save closer to $100B+/yr. Then there's another $200B more savings with lower spending in health care (making insurance & pharmaceutical companies pay more) and defense. And finally, probably another $400B-$600B in additional corporate tax revenue and general improvement in the labor market pushing up payroll tax revenue next year as the economy continues to improve.

You are claiming 700-900 billion increase in revenues?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nobody cares about the top 2% (except those of us who are in the 2%)? You guys sure as fuck to seem to care a lot about us. We have what you want - money - and are slobbering like the Foghorn Leghorn weasel trying to get after it.

The taxes for everyone should have been raised. According to the APPA Americans spent $50 BILLION on pets in 2011. All of us can afford to pay for school and infrastructure when we spend $50 BILLION on pets alone. Let me know when we are closing in on real poverty, not just American Poverty where we have to cancel HBO and drop our unlimited data plans to "make it."
Suck it up, buttercup. The top tax rates should have never been lowered to where they are now. We were told it would create jobs. Count your blessings that enough Americans were stupid enough to believe that for as long as they did.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

It's the 2% spending $50 BILLION on pets alone. I don't see no one up in da h00d taking their pitbulls down for a $120 shampoo and nail clip job.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Now they just need to talk about how much money they can cut from the DEA for the failed war on drugs and how much revenue legalizing, regulating, and taxing marijuana will bring into the coffers.

Cliff, here we come

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
You are claiming 700-900 billion increase in revenues?

Yes, clearly that's what I said based on my post you just quoted. It's not hard to see that the economy (always the main driver of higher revenue) will significantly close the deficit with general economic growth; e.g. corporate tax receipts are higher with higher profits, and payroll revenue is higher as more people find work. Add in higher estate taxes, higher taxes on the upper 2% and especially higher investment taxes like dividends going back into the 30%'s from the current 15%, and that's easily an additional $700-$900B in revenue annually right there.

Last edited:

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Didn't Cheney say deficits don't matter?

Irrelevant. Your guy is in charge now. Even if the messiah gets his way on tax hikes, we're still screwed as he'll never cut spending, except defense. Defense certainly can stand some cutting, but it's not gonna get us anywhere near even the Bush deficits.

We do baseline budgeting. That means a 'cut' is merely a reduction in the increase. You could jack up tax rates to pre Reagan levels and drastically cut back deductions and we'd still be running deficits.

Thank you for playing, oh pathetic one.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Yes, clearly that's what I said based on my post you just quoted. It's not hard to see that the economy (always the main driver of higher revenue) will significantly close the deficit with a combination of general economic growth (corporate tax receipts are higher with higher profits and higher payroll revenue as more people find work, as two examples), higher estate taxes, higher taxes on the upper 2% and especially higher investment taxes like dividends going back into the 30%'s from the current 15%. Easily half a trillion additional revenue annually right there.

The last time Capital Gains Tax was increased was 1986 and revenue actually fell then.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The simple truth of the matter is that having lower tax rates on the top 1-2% of Americans actually takes money OUT of the economy. The rich don't have the need to spend money like everyone else. You lower their taxes, they hoard the money, not put it back in the economy. Lowering taxes or keeping low taxes on people who have no need to spend it hurts the economy by keeping money out of it. I personally right about crack the top 20% income, I support an increase in taxes on even my tax bracket.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
The simple truth of the matter is that having lower tax rates on the top 1-2% of Americans actually takes money OUT of the economy. The rich don't have the need to spend money like everyone else. You lower their taxes, they hoard the money, not put it back in the economy. Lowering taxes or keeping low taxes on people who have no need to spend it hurts the economy by keeping money out of it. I personally right about crack the top 20% income, I support an increase in taxes on even my tax bracket.

Ya, they all keep it under mattresses. They don't have mansions built, buy more cars, hire people to work on thier houses. [/sarcasm]

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

and as was said yesterday.....since we didn't solve the ENTIRE deficit with one motion, just throw this away and start over. You guys remind me of the damn managers in the factories demanding me (controls engineer) to cut x.xx amount of cycle time from the machinery. When I'm going through each stage of the process, I might cut 0.1 second at that stage. I always hear "but we need to cut 3.0 seconds, not 0.1 seconds". By the time I'm done with EVERY process, the time is usually cut by what they requested but because they were so damn impatient, the only thing that they accomplished was to piss me off in trying to get a magical x.xx cut in one swoop.

SMH at some of you people.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
http://news.msn.com/staging/republicans-weigh-swallowing-tax-hike-on-wealthy

Congressional aides, who asked not to be identified, said Republicans are losing the public relations battle over keeping low tax rates for the rich and are getting battered by President Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats in Congress following their November 6 election victories.

On Capitol Hill aides often play an important role of communicating what members are thinking but cannot say themselves. In recent days, increasing numbers are putting out word through news organizations that Republicans now feel they cannot win on tax cuts for the wealthy, at least not now.

Without a deal by December 31, $600 billion in across-the-board spending cuts and tax increases, which are so severe that they likely would shove the economy into recession, are scheduled to begin.

Looks like they're caving.
:thumbsup: