Bobby Knight resigns

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I didn't even realize there was a chess season. That was a cool movie though.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
His aging muscles couldn't keep up with the younger folks in the chair-toss?

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Didnt he have a tantrum courtside a few weeks ago? Better question is why he has been allowed to stay this long. Guy has no class.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Utterman
Here is a link with a little bit more information: http://www.redraiders.com/upda...postgame_update1.shtml

From what is looks like:
-Not entirely health related
-Wants to have his son take over as head coach with a team that will be mostly the same next year.

Which is a really smart move if you ask me. Pat Knight did most of the recruiting for the incoming class, and it's going to be his program next year. It makes sense to let him get experience and become established before the off-season.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
He will be back coaching in a couple years. It's in the man's blood and soul.
Bob Knight should pass away ON the courtside.

Only two seasons below .500 in 40 years of coaching, great record.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Story at SI.

Any speculation on why he leaves in mid-season?

A shoehorn for his son to takeover. It will be interesting to see if his son is worth his sweat as a coach, or if he becomes another nutcase coach like his dad.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
what the hell, you can quit your job and move your son into the position? He just signed a 3 year contract in the fall and is being quoted that he only expected to do 1 year and then hand off the team to his son.

josh0099

Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: bctbct
what the hell, you can quit your job and move your son into the position? He just signed a 3 year contract in the fall and is being quoted that he only expected to do 1 year and then hand off the team to his son.

I think the clause about his son taking over has been in his contract since he arrived at Texas Tech....

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
I've never liked this jackass...If I had sons that wanted to play college basketball, whatever university he was coaching at would be totally & completely out of the question...

The sad part is that because he provides this so-called opportunity to make it to the pros, many parents turn the other cheek when he's smacking the kids around...

Anyway, I was very glad when I read that headline & I hope he stays retired...He has no business being around other people's kids...What a discrace to collegiate sports he's been...

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: josh0099

I think the clause about his son taking over has been in his contract since he arrived at Texas Tech....

Pat Knight and Texas Tech signed a contract in 2005 making him the next head coach of TTU Basketball when his father retired. Its similar to the deal Jimbo Fisher worked out with FSU.

That said, Texas Tech is looking for a new President of the university. Reportedly, in Dec, they fired and unfired their President and then forced him to resign last Friday. He holds the Interim President title until a replacement is found. They want to have a new one before next Fall(which is before next basketball season). If Knight left at the end of the season, who knows what a new President might have done. A buyout of Pat Knights contract wouldn't have been all that much. IU screwd over Pat Knight when they axed his father. Bobby Knight wasnt going to give TTU the chance, even if it was unlikely.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: djnsmith7
I've never liked this jackass...If I had sons that wanted to play college basketball, whatever university he was coaching at would be totally & completely out of the question...

The sad part is that because he provides this so-called opportunity to make it to the pros, many parents turn the other cheek when he's smacking the kids around...

Anyway, I was very glad when I read that headline & I hope he stays retired...He has no business being around other people's kids...What a discrace to collegiate sports he's been...

He has one of the highest graduation rates in all of NCAA Division I coaching. He is also one of the most charitable coaches in Division I.

Mar 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: josh0099

Pat Knight and Texas Tech signed a contract in 2005 making him the next head coach of TTU Basketball when his father retired. Its similar to the deal Jimbo Fisher worked out with FSU.

That said, Texas Tech is looking for a new President of the university. Reportedly, in Dec, they fired and unfired their President and then forced him to resign last Friday. He holds the Interim President title until a replacement is found. They want to have a new one before next Fall(which is before next basketball season). If Knight left at the end of the season, who knows what a new President might have done. A buyout of Pat Knights contract wouldn't have been all that much.

i think you're right. bobby knight will find a new home, with an administration that welcomes him. despite being a world-class a-hole, he's a proven winner and some schools would love to have him. i wouldn't be surprised if his son continues to follow him.

Mar 11, 2004
My friends and I went to the Texas Tech vs K-State game at Bramlage last year. We were all over in the student section, when one of my friends yells, "throw a chair Bobby!", just having a bit of fun. Well, several other people around us take up the yell. He heard us and looks over right at us, staring daggers. He had a little chat with a ref shortly after that, although I'm doubtful it had anything to do with us. He'd glance back our way every so often which would just get people to start yelling it again, but he was just having some fun too I assume at least.

josh0099

Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: djnsmith7

What a discrace to collegiate sports he's been...

Funny how every one within collegiate sports can't speak but good things about him....