Bobby Jindal: Birth Control Should Be Over-The-Counter

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Ya you need a $60 copay to buy $10 in birth control drugs. That makes perfect sense to me.

How insurance works is the the usual and customary cash price or the copay, whichever is less is charged. Your scenario does not exist. Now that does not mean that one cannot take advantage of discounts and skip the copay if it's higher, and that is the patients choice. The discounted price is rarely less than the cost of the med, although pharmacy is often loss leader in some cases. Walmart loses money on pharmacy, but it brings in customers and therefore it's advantageous to do what they do from a total profit perspective.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Women need an abortion because they asked for things to be stuck in their bodies. Isnt this irony. It is a stupid law to require a sonnagram for a 1 month pregnance. It is perfectly leagal to kill your own baby so dont stop them.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
BC is OTC in the Philippines. Pretty amazing considering their views on birth control overall. Although, that may soon change thanks to recent legislation.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
There can be serious complication using it so there has been at least some reason to make it prescription.
On the other hand its been used by tens of millions of women, if not hundreds world wide for many years.
I think the religious right has been a factor in it not becoming otc.

....I've bought it for my wife twice. I had to talk to a pharmacist to get it because they wanted my identification, but there was no prescription necessary.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Doesn't matter whether fringies "think" abortion should be illegal, that fact is that it IS legal. Absolutely no philisophical justification for the GOP's abuse of governmental power to bar others from doing perfectly legal actions. GOP rails about big government, but they are the worst abusers of it bar none.

Yeah. Slavery was legal once. Any attempt to outlaw it was just an example of conservative hypocrisy.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
So you concede that no woman would have been forced to have things inserted into her body. It would have been her choice.

So lets legislate that we have shove a dildo in anyone that wants to buy a gun. No one is being forced to do anything they don't want to here either.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
BC is OTC in the Philippines. Pretty amazing considering their views on birth control overall. Although, that may soon change thanks to recent legislation.

There's a story in the New York Times today saying that the Philippines just moved to make birth control available in government clinics. Apparently its too expensive for most of the people. Also, in some regions stores don't carry it.

Edit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/19/w...rches-call-for-resistance.html?ref=world&_r=0

The Philippine Congress passed legislation on Monday to help the country’s poorest women gain access to birth control. Each chamber of the national legislature passed its own version of the measure, and minor differences between the two must be reconciled before the measure goes to President Benigno S. Aquino III for his signature.

The measure had been stalled for more than a decade because of determined opposition from the church in this overwhelmingly Catholic country.

Birth control is legal and widely available in the Philippines for people who can afford it, particularly those living in cities. But condoms, birth control pills and other forms of contraception are sometimes kept out of community health centers and clinics by local government and Catholic Church officials.

Nov 30, 2006
The Catholic church is officially against birth control, but 99% of Catholics just ignore that rule. Hypocrisy at its finest.
I don't see the hypocrisy here....Catholics who ignore the Church's position are doing what they believe in. Using your "logic"...if you're a registered Democrat and don't completely goosestep your beliefs to their party platform...you're a hypocrite? If not, then perhaps you're the hypocrite for applying an elevated standard to others and not yourself.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
There's a story in the New York Times today saying that the Philippines just moved to make birth control available in government clinics. Apparently its too expensive for most of the people. Also, in some regions stores don't carry it.

Edit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/19/w...rches-call-for-resistance.html?ref=world&_r=0

The Philippine Congress passed legislation on Monday to help the country’s poorest women gain access to birth control. Each chamber of the national legislature passed its own version of the measure, and minor differences between the two must be reconciled before the measure goes to President Benigno S. Aquino III for his signature.

The measure had been stalled for more than a decade because of determined opposition from the church in this overwhelmingly Catholic country.

Birth control is legal and widely available in the Philippines for people who can afford it, particularly those living in cities. But condoms, birth control pills and other forms of contraception are sometimes kept out of community health centers and clinics by local government and Catholic Church officials.

State run clinics, yes. But it is widely available in almost any drug store (at least in the 10 or so cities Ive been in). I know, for example, one BCP brand is 180php (about $4.50-$5.00 US) in Manila. Even by Philippine standards thats pretty cheap.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
This. It's not for everyone.

How does the fact that some people die from it despite current medical screening show that medical screenings are useful in preventing deaths from BC?

Do the medical screenings used to prescribe it go more in depth than a short checklists that could be administered by a pharmacist as was suggested earlier?

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
He wants to be President so bad he is willing to spar with the Religious nuts in his Republican base.

I give him some credit but down to the core he is still a Republican nut on every other of the whacky Rights ways that they hate America.

I appreciate it when you continue to reaffirm your stupidity.

Making birth control an OTC drug will actually drastically drop it's usage.

It's already cheap and has multiple generics. The problem is that when it becomes OTC, many health plans, including government plans that service the poor will no longer cover it.

As a result, those most in need of it (the poor, for whom having kids can be a disaster with no financial means to pay for them) won't have it available to them.

A brilliant move by Jindal. A beautiful piece of double-speak.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I appreciate it when you continue to reaffirm your stupidity.

Making birth control an OTC drug will actually drastically drop it's usage.

It's already cheap and has multiple generics. The problem is that when it becomes OTC, many health plans, including government plans that service the poor will no longer cover it.

As a result, those most in need of it (the poor, for whom having kids can be a disaster with no financial means to pay for them) won't have it available to them.

A brilliant move by Jindal. A beautiful piece of double-speak.

So we need to keep it prescription so we can force other people to pay for it. :hmm:

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
So we need to keep it prescription so we can force other people to pay for it. :hmm:

Newsflash: Would you rather pay for the birth control, or the all the spawn of people who are already living on public aid?

I can guarantee you that birth control is the cheaper option.

If you want to argue we shouldn't have to pay for either, that's a different discussion.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
You mean bishops are bare backing alter boys? :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Heh, fair point. I'm not going to defend their handling of such cases. As a catholic (and former altar boy), I find it disgusting.

But yeah, the altar boys (pawns) need to beware the pointy hats (bishops). :p