Bob Woodward: Trump's aides stole his papers 'to protect the country'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
So for a guy who *NEVER* admits he makes a mistake...he admits his worst mistake was.....................

CONDEMNING WHITE SUPREMACISTS.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-white-supremacists-was-biggest-f-ing-mistake

Sweet merciful baby jeebus....if reflecting on your decision making in a young presidency chuck full of gaffes and naive/ignorant fuck ups and this is the worst mistake you can think of????

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think the most disgusting thing about this is the unwillingness of Republicans to hold trump accountable and instead are taking the opportunity to line their pockets and pay back their donors.

If there were any justice in this world, Republicans would be shut out of government for 100 years.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
So for a guy who *NEVER* admits he makes a mistake...he admits his worst mistake was.....................

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-white-supremacists-was-biggest-f-ing-mistake

Sweet merciful baby jeebus....if reflecting on your decision making in a young presidency chuck full of gaffes and naive/ignorant fuck ups and this is the worst mistake you can think of????

Woodward strikes again and his book isn't even out.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I think the most disgusting thing about this is the unwillingness of Republicans to hold trump accountable...

I think that we are coming to the end of that. I think that the realisation that supporting him is going to do them more harm than throwing him under the bus is dawning.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Is anyone (apart from Trump supporters) surprised that a closet white supremacist would regret condemning white supremacists?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This excerpt from the book is disturbing - Significant foreign policy initiatives--including a withdrawal from a trade pact with South Korea, and a 2017 withdrawal from NAFTA - were thwarted by the expedient of cabinet members pilfering the relevant documents from the president's desk before he signed them, and the president forgetting that he hadn't signed them.

And this - After Trump said “both sides” at the Charlottesville white supremacist rally were to blame for the violence that occurred in August 2017,advisers urged him to make another speech condemning white supremacists and neo-Nazis. According to Woodward, he almost immediately told aides, “That was the biggest fucking mistake I’ve made” and the “worst speech I’ve ever given.”

Shitty insults to people is part of his brand. I doubt many Southerners will be shocked or all that upset by the fact that he sometimes insults someone by calling them a "dumb Southerner."

But being a clueless buffoon is part of his reality, not his brand. For people who think he's playing 12th-dimensional chess, the idea that the Deep State is outmaneuvering him by hiding things and hoping he forgets about them might shake their confidence a little.

Or it might not, because whatever else you might say about the True Believers, you can't fault them for a lack of confidence. Their leader is an archetypal confidence man. Trump's fervent supporters have become fact-resistant humans. and at this point, they're so deep in their adoration for him that nothing is going to sway them. I have no doubt that Trump or his proxies will shortly issue statements accusing Woodward of being complicit in the whole "rigged witch hunt," and Trump's supporters will dismiss anything in Woodward's book out of hand.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But being a clueless buffoon is part of his reality, not his brand. For people who think he's playing 12th-dimensional chess, the idea that the Deep State is outmaneuvering him by hiding things and hoping he forgets about them might shake their confidence a little.

Being in the deep state is a lot like having an elderly parent with poor self control...

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It'll be cute when the resident Trump fans show up after Hannity and Daily Caller tell them what to think... they'll probably try to lie about Woodward's credibility or take Trump's lies about contact at face value.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
I'm not surprised that all this stuff happened or that there's a book about it. I'm just surprised that it's come out before he left office. I'm guessing that the auther was worried about competition from the shear number of books exploring how incompetent Trump is that'll be released when he leaves office! :)

Do you think Trump ever worries about what history will think of him?
No. I think his skill in lying to himself overruns any concerns that pop up. He is thoroughly taken with himself. It's a va-va-vhoom situation every time that man looks at himself in the mirror.

I've mentioned my friend who just recently dumped Trump. My husband and I were just vacationing at he and his husband's new house. We steered clear of politics for the most part but I did ask him how he thought history would depict Trump. He still believes the history books will favor Trump and heap loads of praise and credit on him for necessary change. Now, his arguments were thoughtful and clear and I understood what he was saying but I disagreed with him whole heartedly. I told him that if there is long term beneficial change from anything pushed through during the Trump Era it is the people who had to clean up his dumps who will get the credit and Trump will get a nod of recognition. In the end we thanked each other for having a level and reasonable conversation. We agreed with one another in many instances. ... The rest of the houseguests scurried away during the conversation except his husband who only interjected a few times to say Trump is an evil shit stain who has no good intentions for any human being but himself.

It saddens me to think that even those turning against Trump still cheer on some of the shit Trump has done. I think everything that piece of filth wants stems from greed, hate, pettiness and ugliness.

Any way, Trump truly does believe he's doing a bang up job.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It'll be cute when the resident Trump fans show up after Hannity and Daily Caller tell them what to think... they'll probably try to lie about Woodward's credibility or take Trump's lies about contact at face value.
There will be plenty of outrage and calls for the DoJ to prosecute deep state operatives such as Gen. Kelly and Gary Cohn for subverting the Presidency.

Chromagnus

Feb 28, 2017

I actually think they are just going to ignore it. The coverage seems like it's just going to be all about Kavanaugh for a while now. It's fitting too because a lot of people held their noses to vote for Trump so they could get a conservative judge now they can further use that judge's appointment to ignore how bad Trump is.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
From the book - "Then, in an even more remarkable move, Dowd and Trump's current personal attorney Jay Sekulow went to Mueller's office and re-enacted the mock interview. Their goal: to argue that Trump couldn't possibly testify because he was incapable of telling the truth.

"He just made something up. That's his nature," Dowd said to Mueller.

So, the president's lawyers went to Mueller and told him that he couldn't testify because he would lie? What sort of strategy is that?..wtf!

Now that I think about it...

Calling Trump's statements lies implies that he knows what the truth actually is and is saying something different for some reason of his own, which happens sometimes. But just from what's publicly available it's clear that he's got something approaching an actual mental disorder if not over that line when he'll just make up random crap for no particular reason and with no actual knowledge of whether it's true or not. So I would think that the discussion with Mueller's team was less "he's a liar" than "he's crazy". Which is hardly exculpatory, but that's probably the best his attorneys have to offer.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Well, we all know the answers to why he hasn't been removed yet--the question is when can we be honest with ourselves for why Trump's "administration" is allowed to persist?

The absence of presidential leadership is a feature for the GOP Congress...not a bug. The absence of executive branch ethics, checks and balances is a feature for the GOP donor class, not a bug. They all see what Putin sees--a useful idiot who can be instrumental in implementing their agenda without question, without equivocation, without real thought. The only requirement is that they get someone in a room with him (either in the White House, but preferably at Mar A Lago or Bedminster or out on a green somewhere) and get them to frame the idea or argument in a way that Trump can later claim it was his idea all along, and let him take credit for it. They all know that at some point the clown car will come to a stop, the party will have to end, and hopefully they'll all get to grab a musical chair or a plea bargain while Trump and the worst of his cronies are hung out to dry. But in the meantime, get those judges appointed, get those cushy business deals secured, and tear up all the regulations and red tape in the way!

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
This excerpt from the book is disturbing - Significant foreign policy initiatives--including a withdrawal from a trade pact with South Korea, and a 2017 withdrawal from NAFTA - were thwarted by the expedient of cabinet members pilfering the relevant documents from the president's desk before he signed them, and the president forgetting that he hadn't signed them.

And this - After Trump said “both sides” at the Charlottesville white supremacist rally were to blame for the violence that occurred in August 2017,advisers urged him to make another speech condemning white supremacists and neo-Nazis. According to Woodward, he almost immediately told aides, “That was the biggest fucking mistake I’ve made” and the “worst speech I’ve ever given.”

Shitty insults to people is part of his brand. I doubt many Southerners will be shocked or all that upset by the fact that he sometimes insults someone by calling them a "dumb Southerner."

Or it might not, because whatever else you might say about the True Believers, you can't fault them for a lack of confidence. Their leader is an archetypal confidence man. Trump's fervent supporters have become fact-resistant humans. and at this point, they're so deep in their adoration for him that nothing is going to sway them. I have no doubt that Trump or his proxies will shortly issue statements accusing Woodward of being complicit in the whole "rigged witch hunt," and Trump's supporters will dismiss anything in Woodward's book out of hand.
They already have dismissed it. Seriously, they are just awaiting their talking points.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
There will be plenty of outrage and calls for the DoJ to prosecute deep state operatives such as Gen. Kelly and Gary Cohn for subverting the Presidency.
I'm confident this path is already being formulated and spoon fed to Trump.

I'm wondering if Trump will actually go after his own people for their actions to "protect the country". He's fine with making himself look like a fool but he becomes psychotic when he thinks others are making him look like a fool. It would be quite a thing to see tweets asking anyone with the power to do so to investigate and arrest anyone who hid things and stole things from his desk. I'm thinking he's actually going to want to revisit the South Korean deal now that the information is out that the papers were removed from his desk.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I'm confident this path is already being formulated and spoon fed to Trump.

I'm wondering if Trump will actually go after his own people for their actions to "protect the country". He's fine with making himself look like a fool but he becomes psychotic when he thinks others are making him look like a fool. It would be quite a thing to see tweets asking anyone with the power to do so to investigate and arrest anyone who hid things and stole things from his desk. I'm thinking he's actually going to want to revisit the South Korean deal now that the information is out that the papers were removed from his desk.

This idea kinda scares me but at the same time could end up leading to a solution to the Korean issue. South Korea already has established good relations with China, through their numerous trade deals, these same deals have been leading China to question their continued support of the North Korean regime. Trump pursuing this with the South will push the South further towards China because the Koreans and Chinese have a great mistrust of the Japanese. With the US withdrawn from the Korean peninsula, China would most likely let the North fail or force it to collapse and help with the cost of reunification which I'm sure the politicians in the South would agree to.

Reactions: Younigue

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
This idea kinda scares me but at the same time could end up leading to a solution to the Korean issue. South Korea already has established good relations with China, through their numerous trade deals, these same deals have been leading China to question their continued support of the North Korean regime. Trump pursuing this with the South will push the South further towards China because the Koreans and Chinese have a great mistrust of the Japanese. With the US withdrawn from the Korean peninsula, China would most likely let the North fail or force it to collapse and help with the cost of reunification which I'm sure the politicians in the South would agree to.
Oh I'm not opposed to addressing these issues. I'm opposed to Trump being at the helm while addressing them.

I considered listing the reasons why but I'm too tired and you already know what they are.