BMW to pit upcoming 1 Series against Accord, Camry with mid-$20s price

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
102,418
8,370
126
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Bah! I think that will lower the value of a BMW if lots of people buy it, because it could potentially become a common car like a Honda or Toyota.

bmw used to make cheap sh!tty cars about 35 years ago. the 2002 was a nice fun car, but was still rather inexpensive. they have gradually moved further upmarket, and in the 80s became an alternative to MB (which itself was an alternative to the british luxury cars... even went so far as to rip the headlight design off)
 

pukemon

Senior member
Jun 16, 2000
850
0
76
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
CEO Helmut Panke said the 1 Series will be nearly identical in size to the 2002 - the predecessor to the 3 Series.

"It will pick up where the 2002 started 35 years ago," he said. "It won't be cheap and will be the only rear-drive car of its size."

AWESOME! I hope it really drives like the older 2002. A simple yet awesome car.

Maybe this will convince Nissan to build a new-age 510 under the Datsun brand.

One can only wish.

wasn't the datsun 510 the model that eventually became the stanza which became the altima?
 

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
1,486
0
0
www.sternie.com
Eh.. I think the only thing this will accomplish is pissing off BMW owners. The 3 series is already all over the place, now even a teenager will be able to own a BMW. Cadillac went down this road with the Catera, and now it is just starting to come back. Thumbs down from me.
 

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
8,263
0
0
ahhh, just like when bmw pimped the 318's - the bmw crx :D

everyone knows it's a 1-series bmw ghetto car ;)
 

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
102,418
8,370
126
Originally posted by: SuperTool
"There is a reason we don't sell four-cylinder BMWs in America."
Isn't 323i 4 cylinder?

no, that was a 2.5 liter inline 6 that had previously been used. bmw wanted more numbers between the low end model (323 with 2.5 engine) and the high end model (328 with 2.8 liter engine)
 

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
18,436
4
0
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: SuperTool
"There is a reason we don't sell four-cylinder BMWs in America."
Isn't 323i 4 cylinder?

no, that was a 2.5 liter inline 6 that had previously been used. bmw wanted more numbers between the low end model (323 with 2.5 engine) and the high end model (328 with 2.8 liter engine)
Wouldn't the *23 cars have a 2.3L engine, as the *25 designation is for a car with the 2.5L engine?
 

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
102,418
8,370
126
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Wouldn't the *23 have a 2.3L engine as the *25 designation is the car with the 2.5L engine?

no. while bmw usually has the engine displacement as part of the model they don't always. take the 540i.
 

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
18,436
4
0
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Wouldn't the *23 have a 2.3L engine as the *25 designation is the car with the 2.5L engine?

no. while bmw usually has the engine displacement as part of the model they don't always. take the 540i.
Then what is the displacement of the *25 engine?:confused:
 

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,647
26
91
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: SuperTool
"There is a reason we don't sell four-cylinder BMWs in America."
Isn't 323i 4 cylinder?

no, that was a 2.5 liter inline 6 that had previously been used. bmw wanted more numbers between the low end model (323 with 2.5 engine) and the high end model (328 with 2.8 liter engine)
Wouldn't the *23 cars have a 2.3L engine, as the *25 designation is for a car with the 2.5L engine?

While that would be the logical explantion, the 323i indeed had a 2.5 liter engine. It was changed BACK to 325 a few years ago.
 

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
102,418
8,370
126
the 325 and 525 both use 2.5 liter motors. the 323 used the same 2.5 liter motor (that had been the largest one available until the 328 came out with a 2.8 liter motor.) the 325 was dropped (the 2.5 liter motor is a bit high strung and not the most reliable). later bmw brought back the 2.5 liter motor in a car called the 323. in part because the 325 had been the old top of the line, but mostly because theres not all that much difference between 25 and 28. when bmw introduced the 330 with 3 liter motor they moved the 323 to its "correct" designation as the 325.
 

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,647
26
91
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Ask Mercedes how the new C Coupes are doing.
How about I ask you ?

Sales through July '03

Mercedes C-Class Coupe: 7,732
Infiniti G35: 16,242
Nissan 350Z: 22,576
3-Series Coupe: 12,022
 

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
102,418
8,370
126
Originally posted by: NFS4

Sales through July '03

Mercedes C-Class Coupe: 7,732
Infiniti G35: 16,242
Nissan 350Z: 22,576
3-Series Coupe: 12,022

FM > all
 

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
18,436
4
0
Originally posted by: ElFenix
the 325 and 525 both use 2.5 liter motors. the 323 used the same 2.5 liter motor (that had been the largest one available until the 328 came out with a 2.8 liter motor.) the 325 was dropped (the 2.5 liter motor is a bit high strung and not the most reliable). later bmw brought back the 2.5 liter motor in a car called the 323. in part because the 325 had been the old top of the line, but mostly because theres not all that much difference between 25 and 28. when bmw introduced the 330 with 3 liter motor they moved the 323 to its "correct" designation as the 325.
Ah, that makes sense. I knew that the 325 had a 2.5L engine because I was looking at a used E36 and I just didn't think that BMW would have two different designations at the same time with the same engine.
 

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
7,804
1
0
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Bah! I think that will lower the value of a BMW if lots of people buy it, because it could potentially become a common car like a Honda or Toyota.

Your telling me a 3-series isn't common???
 

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
102,418
8,370
126
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Ah, that makes sense. I knew that the 325 had a 2.5L engine because I was looking at a used E36 and I just didn't think that BMW would have two different designations at the same time with the same engine.

yup, same engine, different designations at different times. the E36 used that engine in the 325 first, and later in the 323 when bmw needed something to slot between the 328 and the waste-of-a-bmw-nameplate 318
 

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
7,804
1
0
Originally posted by: pukemon
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
CEO Helmut Panke said the 1 Series will be nearly identical in size to the 2002 - the predecessor to the 3 Series.

"It will pick up where the 2002 started 35 years ago," he said. "It won't be cheap and will be the only rear-drive car of its size."

AWESOME! I hope it really drives like the older 2002. A simple yet awesome car.

Maybe this will convince Nissan to build a new-age 510 under the Datsun brand.

One can only wish.

wasn't the datsun 510 the model that eventually became the stanza which became the altima?

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! The Stanza was based off another model.

The 510 was a RWD car powered by a inline 6. It won many, MANY professional races from SCCA to rallies!
 

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,647
26
91
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Bah! I think that will lower the value of a BMW if lots of people buy it, because it could potentially become a common car like a Honda or Toyota.

Your telling me a 3-series isn't common???

Accord: 232,428
Camry: 240,799
3-Series: 42,268

Compared to the giants, it isn't
 

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
7,804
1
0
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Ask Mercedes how the new C Coupes are doing.
How about I ask you ?

Sales through July '03

Mercedes C-Class Coupe: 7,732
Infiniti G35: 16,242
Nissan 350Z: 22,576
3-Series Coupe: 12,022

Is that sales number for the G35 Coupe or for both sedan and coupe? If itsj ust for the coupe...HOLY CRAP I didn't expect it to overtake BMW sales number so soon!!!
 

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
7,804
1
0
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Bah! I think that will lower the value of a BMW if lots of people buy it, because it could potentially become a common car like a Honda or Toyota.

Your telling me a 3-series isn't common???

Accord: 232,428
Camry: 240,799
3-Series: 42,268

Compared to the giants, it isn't

Is that for the year so far? I wonder what the sales is in Canada. Cause I sure see as many 3-series as I do Civics and Camrys!
 

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,647
26
91
Is that sales number for the G35 Coupe or for both sedan and coupe? If itsj ust for the coupe...HOLY CRAP I didn't expect it to overtake BMW sales number so soon!!!
Just the coupe for both the 3-Series and G35
Is that for the year so far? I wonder what the sales is in Canada. Cause I sure see as many 3-series as I do Civics and Camrys!
These are US sales through July '03