BMW has completely lost it!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
29,776
31
81
Was just reading a thread over at my favorite BMW forum, and someone made the observation that BMW has moved the window buttons from the center to the driver's door on the new E90 3-series. The window buttons have been in the center for at least 25 years!!! And the dash no longer tilts towards the driver!!! And say hello to iDrive (if you buy the NAV).

PIC

So, if you want the last, non-Bangled, true BMW...better buy an E46 3-series before it's too late!

E90 will be on our shores sometime in 2H 2005.
 

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
11,679
1
0
yep, thats why my dad skipped the 7-series and went for 2004 3-series convertible instead!

i dunno WHAT is up with bmw . . . why change something that is already good?!
 

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
6,386
1
0
Originally posted by: Amol
yep, thats why my dad skipped the 7-series and went for 2004 3-series convertible instead!

i dunno WHAT is up with bmw . . . why change something that is already good?!



the 7-series and a 3-series convertible are two totally different cars.. i guess he was unsure of what he wanted?
 

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
5,575
0
0
Umm....have you tried iDrive? I have at the BMW dealer, and the newer versions of it on the 5 series is really not all the bad imo. The new 3 series is supposed to get an even more simplified version of the new 5 series one.
 

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
2,952
0
0
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Was just reading a thread over at my favorite BMW forum, and someone made the observation that BMW has moved the window buttons from the center to the driver's door on the new E90 3-series. The window buttons have been in the center for at least 25 years!!! And the dash no longer tilts towards the driver!!! And say hello to iDrive (if you buy the NAV).

PIC

So, if you want the last, non-Bangled, true BMW...better buy an E46 3-series before it's too late!

E90 will be on our shores sometime in 2H 2005.

Favorite BMW forum huh? Glad to hear it! I do video work for GCF. Brian (the owner) is the cousin of one of my best friends from HS.
 

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
29,776
31
81
Originally posted by: TechnoKid
Umm....have you tried iDrive? I have at the BMW dealer, and the newer versions of it on the 5 series is really not all the bad imo. The new 3 series is supposed to get an even more simplified version of the new 5 series one.

Combined, I've had a few hours behind the wheel of 7-series with iDrive...and hated every moment of it.
 

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
11,774
1
0
Originally posted by: WhiteKnight
Favorite BMW forum huh? Glad to hear it! I do video work for GCF. Brian (the owner) is the cousin of one of my best friends from HS.

wow, you're cool, can I be your friend?
 

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
72,647
26
91
Originally posted by: TechnoKid
Umm....have you tried iDrive? I have at the BMW dealer, and the newer versions of it on the 5 series is really not all the bad imo. The new 3 series is supposed to get an even more simplified version of the new 5 series one.

Sitting and using the I-Drive on a dealer lot/showroom is COMPLTELY different than trying to drive down the road and change a radio station or to change the temperature or other basis functions
 

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
2,952
0
0
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
Originally posted by: WhiteKnight
Favorite BMW forum huh? Glad to hear it! I do video work for GCF. Brian (the owner) is the cousin of one of my best friends from HS.

wow, you're cool, can I be your friend?

No, but I have an opening for a biatch.
 
Feb 10, 2000
30,029
66
91
I'm with you on the i-Drive, but other things being equal I prefer having the window controls on the door. I don't see the console-mounted window controls as a positive defining characteristic of BMWs.
 

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
5,575
0
0
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: TechnoKid
Umm....have you tried iDrive? I have at the BMW dealer, and the newer versions of it on the 5 series is really not all the bad imo. The new 3 series is supposed to get an even more simplified version of the new 5 series one.

Sitting and using the I-Drive on a dealer lot/showroom is COMPLTELY different than trying to drive down the road and change a radio station or to change the temperature or other basis functions

I'll agree with that, it is a lot different.

However, I do not think that the new 3 series looks bad at all. I like it actually, more so than some other Bangle designs.
 

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
3,490
0
0
no love lost here...

imho, bmw's are overrated and too common... damn asian kids w/ their mommies and daddies buying them expensive cars just to have them crash it and have mommy and daddy buy them another expensive ass car...
 

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
29,776
31
81
Originally posted by: DonVito
I'm with you on the i-Drive, but other things being equal I prefer having the window controls on the door. I don't see the console-mounted window controls as a positive defining characteristic of BMWs.

For stick drivers, it's just a no-brainer IMO to drop the hand and hit the auto-down window button...instead of taking the left hand off the wheel to hit the door control.
 

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
3,490
0
0
oh, and not to mention all the d!cks in their bimmers that think they are the shiznat and own the road

this by all means is not towards all bmw owners, just the vast majority of the ones i've run into
 

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
6,993
0
0
Originally posted by: slikmunks
no love lost here...

imho, bmw's are overrated and too common... damn asian kids w/ their mommies and daddies buying them expensive cars just to have them crash it and have mommy and daddy buy them another expensive ass car...
so what do rich snobby white kids drive?
 

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
29,776
31
81
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
Originally posted by: slikmunks
no love lost here...

imho, bmw's are overrated and too common... damn asian kids w/ their mommies and daddies buying them expensive cars just to have them crash it and have mommy and daddy buy them another expensive ass car...
so what do rich snobby white kids drive?

Yeah, the asian comment was unnecessary.
 

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
3,490
0
0
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
Originally posted by: slikmunks
no love lost here...

imho, bmw's are overrated and too common... damn asian kids w/ their mommies and daddies buying them expensive cars just to have them crash it and have mommy and daddy buy them another expensive ass car...
so what do rich snobby white kids drive?

haha, i don't know, but luckily, i've been able to steer clear of them... the one or two that i do know drive around in an h2 and a ford lightning
 

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
5,575
0
0
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Originally posted by: DonVito
I'm with you on the i-Drive, but other things being equal I prefer having the window controls on the door. I don't see the console-mounted window controls as a positive defining characteristic of BMWs.

For stick drivers, it's just a no-brainer IMO to drop the hand and hit the auto-down window button...instead of taking the left hand off the wheel to hit the door control.

I, for one, do not think it is good idea to [always] have the right hand on the shifter if you drive manual. As soon as I shift, I put it right back on the steering wheel so I can have better control of the car. This is part of the reason why cars like the Porsche Carerra GT have the shifter mounted high and close to the steering wheel; also the new civic si form honda. I think BMW is one of a very few who ever did put window control in the center console; to me it doesn't matter either way, I'm more used to it being on the drivers door panel.
 

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
1,355
0
76
I like my center mounted window buttons and lock mechanism. It confuses the hell out of my passengers and stops them from fiddling with stuff. also keeps the doors looking nice and clean.
 

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
11,679
1
0
Originally posted by: brunswickite
Originally posted by: Amol
yep, thats why my dad skipped the 7-series and went for 2004 3-series convertible instead!

i dunno WHAT is up with bmw . . . why change something that is already good?!



the 7-series and a 3-series convertible are two totally different cars.. i guess he was unsure of what he wanted?

he really wanted a BMW, and my sister and i wanted him to get a convertible, but he wanted the 7 series (745Li) . . . but he didnt like the new design, so he went with the convertible (and he's glad he did :))
 

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
11,679
1
0
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
Originally posted by: slikmunks
no love lost here...

imho, bmw's are overrated and too common... damn asian kids w/ their mommies and daddies buying them expensive cars just to have them crash it and have mommy and daddy buy them another expensive ass car...
so what do rich snobby white kids drive?

Yeah, the asian comment was unnecessary.

unless you live in a very asian area, you wouldn't know anything . . .

my school is primarily asian, and i see kids with corollas, civic, old accords and camrys, ONE GUY WITH A PREVIA!!

only a couple of bmws, and even then, they are the older ones . . .
 
Feb 10, 2000
30,029
66
91
Originally posted by: TechnoKid

I, for one, do not think it is good idea to [always] have the right hand on the shifter if you drive manual. As soon as I shift, I put it right back on the steering wheel so I can have better control of the car. This is part of the reason why cars like the Porsche Carerra GT have the shifter mounted high and close to the steering wheel; also the new civic si form honda. I think BMW is one of a very few who ever did put window control in the center console; to me it doesn't matter either way, I'm more used to it being on the drivers door panel.

Yeah, same here. I have driven stick at least 80% of the time since learning to drive (I don't think I'll ever want to own a car with an automatic, other than perhaps a large highway luxo-cruiser), and I prefer the window switches on the door. It's not as though you use them very often, and even less often at speed. When I'm just cruising on the highway, I tend to have my right hand on the wheel and my left arm resting on the armrest or windowsill anyway (obviously that's a personal preference thing).