BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
well, maybe, but this isn't evidence of a new trend as BMW has been making 3 series coupes pretty much forever. this is just a renaming of the replacement of the E92 3 series coupe. which i think is stupid from a branding standpoint.

I was referring to platform-sharing across vehicles with more differences than 2/4 doors.

The poster I quoted stated that the underpinnings of a small car, a medium car, and an SUV were all very similar.

While a small car sharing a lot of design characteristics with a small unibody SUV is certainly nothing new (e.g. lift Corolla slightly and put new bodywork on it = Rav4), seeing the same platform (or variations thereof) for cars in multiple segments didn't used to be nearly as commonplace as it is now.

I mean, look at somebody like Volvo. Everything they sell with the exception of the XC90 is now on the platform they introduced with the 2004.5 S40. Compact to fullsize. They put a different name on the big platform, but there was no major re-engineering, just mods for a longer, heavier car.

I may just not know enough about BMW- maybe there have always been various E-designations at a time with very similar design.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
To be honest...I'm not loving it. The intake is too obnoxious. Looks like a over-stylized KIA.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I was referring to platform-sharing across vehicles with more differences than 2/4 doors.

The poster I quoted stated that the underpinnings of a small car, a medium car, and an SUV were all very similar.

While a small car sharing a lot of design characteristics with a small unibody SUV is certainly nothing new (e.g. lift Corolla slightly and put new bodywork on it = Rav4), seeing the same platform (or variations thereof) for cars in multiple segments didn't used to be nearly as commonplace as it is now.

I mean, look at somebody like Volvo. Everything they sell with the exception of the XC90 is now on the platform they introduced with the 2004.5 S40. Compact to fullsize. They put a different name on the big platform, but there was no major re-engineering, just mods for a longer, heavier car.

I may just not know enough about BMW- maybe there have always been various E-designations at a time with very similar design.

I think you're thinking of something other than the S40, which is related to the Focus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_S40

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
They don't know the difference between a BMW and a Camry. What makes them douchebags is that they buy these cars as a status symbol. The only exception would be the folks who buy them with a manual trans, as they're obviously car enthusiasts. OK maybe 0.1% of the automatic owners are enthusiasts and just made a mistake.

it is a really good automatic though. like really really good.

i agree on the douchebaggery as far as the status symbol thing (and well really for all the other luxury makes they have their share). it seems particularly bad with certain brands, i guess its more obvious with say bmw since the cars are actually really made to be driven. when you see someone with say a lexus ES or IS which isnt quite as good to drive, you almost expect it and not the "i bought it to drive" factor, so it doesn't seem to stand out as much.

in the end though almost everything expensive is going to have that status symbolness. if it was all about fun to drive and no status we'd all drive MX-5s , mini coopers, and the like.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I think you're thinking of something other than the S40, which is related to the Focus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_S40

Nope. P1 is Ford C1. P24 is Ford EUCD which is stretched C1. That covers the current or very recently discontinued:

C30, S40, V40, V50, C70, S60, V60, V70, S80, XC60, and XC70.

Yes, these two share the same basic chassis design-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2012_Ford_Focus_SEL_sedan_--_10-12-2011_rear.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:3rd_Volvo_XC70_--_11-26-2011.jpg

Last edited:

tcG

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2006
Something about it just isn't right... too long, too tall.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
it is a really good automatic though. like really really good.

i agree on the douchebaggery as far as the status symbol thing (and well really for all the other luxury makes they have their share). it seems particularly bad with certain brands, i guess its more obvious with say bmw since the cars are actually really made to be driven. when you see someone with say a lexus ES or IS which isnt quite as good to drive, you almost expect it and not the "i bought it to drive" factor, so it doesn't seem to stand out as much.

in the end though almost everything expensive is going to have that status symbolness. if it was all about fun to drive and no status we'd all drive MX-5s , mini coopers, and the like.

Well I have an E36 because it's the best all-around car I could get for $3100. It handles well, has plenty of room, is comfortable on the highway, easy to work on, and looks great IMO. I've owned a Miata and all it does well is handle!

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Well I have an E36 because it's the best all-around car I could get for $3100. It handles well, has plenty of room, is comfortable on the highway, easy to work on, and looks great IMO. I've owned a Miata and all it does well is handle!

I've never even sat in an e36 now that i think about it but I've heard it is very fun like possibly peak 3 series as far as fun to drive.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Meh. It's better than E30, but not really much different than E46. AFAIK the E90 was the first significant revision, but I'm not into these cars enough to know the major differences.

It still feels very '3-series,' though. I'm not sure what anyone would name as a factor in making it less fun to throw through turns than an E36/E46. It's a bit fatter, but I don't really feel it. My experience in the E90+ cars is limited, though.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Back in 1997, C&D magazine bestowed the title, "Best Handling Car Sold in America" to the E36 M3. I think the E36/E46 with its NA I6 engine is the essence of what the "3 series" coupe should be. Everything since has strayed from these near flawless examples.