Bluray on a 1080i TV

Maiyr

Sep 3, 2008
Hi all,

I have my HTPC hooked up to my TV via HDMI out, to a converter box, and then Component in to my TV. The TV is an old rear projection 1080i. If I rip a Bluray and then use my HTPC to play it is it going to look decent (not expecting 1080p quality of course) on my TV. I mean will it look at least as good as a standard DVD will look? Or is there some kind of issue I am unaware of in playing a Bluray rip into a Component input on a 1080i TV?

Thanks,

Maiyr

mindbomb

May 30, 2013
it would look pretty much as you'd expect a bluray to look. Perhaps not as sharp because it doesn't have pixels like digital displays, but better colors and contrast I would think. Last set of graphics cards with component are the nvidia gtx 260, 275, 280, 285 cards.

Last edited:

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Hi all,

I have my HTPC hooked up to my TV via HDMI out, to a converter box, and then Component in to my TV. The TV is an old rear projection 1080i. If I rip a Bluray and then use my HTPC to play it is it going to look decent (not expecting 1080p quality of course) on my TV. I mean will it look at least as good as a standard DVD will look? Or is there some kind of issue I am unaware of in playing a Bluray rip into a Component input on a 1080i TV?

Thanks,

Maiyr

If it's a BR that doesn't have a lot of action you will literally see no difference.

Because i=interlaced, it means that it only refreshes every other line for each frame. Fast action sequences can seem a little soft as a result but otherwise it'll look really good. A static picture where nothing moves will look exactly the same as it would on a 1080p

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
1080i vs 1080p is a washout imo. I highly doubt you'll notice the difference