Blue screen when playing anything video related

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by raildogg, Nov 28, 2012.

1. raildogg

raildogg Lifer

Hi everyone, I've been having a problem with a blue screen occurring whenever I'm gaming or playing something video-related. It does not happen all the time, but lately, it's been happening more frequently. I had one blue screen yesterday while watching a movie and had one today while playing a game. I play older games and I've got integrated graphics.

The specs:

AMD Athlon X4 635
    Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H
    8GB RAM
    128GB SSD + 500GB HD
    AMD 4250 Integrated graphics
    Seasonic 520W PSU

I have not flashed the latest BIOS and I've downloaded the drivers from Gigabyte's website.

I would appreciate any response.

Thank you.

#1 raildogg, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Blue screen playing Forum Date
    X79 Blue Screen Registry Fix Won't Stick Computer Help Dec 10, 2016
    Blue Screen of death when I play "Left 4 Dead" Computer Help Nov 19, 2008
    PC Reboots when playing videos. (No Blue Screen) Computer Help Dec 8, 2007
    Blue screen of death when I play WoW Computer Help Dec 7, 2007
    Computer only crashes when playing Call of Duty 2....(blue screen, then restart) Computer Help Nov 29, 2005

3. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

what are the temp. go see in event log-system

4. AnonymouseUser

AnonymouseUser Diamond Member

Run a memory test. From Start Menu search Windows Memory Diagnostic, reboot now and test, or if possible, run Memtest86 overnight (much better than Windows Memory Diagnostic).

5. raildogg

raildogg Lifer

Are you saying to look for temps in the event logs? I could not find them there.

Thanks.

6. raildogg

raildogg Lifer

I downloaded and burned Memtest86 to a disc and ran it overnight. It had 10 errors. This points to bad RAM. The way to see a defective RAM is to run the computer on one stick of RAM until the defective one is found?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

7. AnonymouseUser

Yeah, you'll have to narrow it down to the bad stick. If you have 4 sticks, do 2 first, then it'll be easier to narrow down.

8. raildogg

raildogg Lifer

Right now, I'm testing them 1 at a time. Your approach might be more efficient, however. For how long would you recommend letting the test run? I'm letting it run for 2 or 3 passes. Should I run more passes?

Thanks.

9. AnonymouseUser

Three passes should suffice, so long as you get the errors. If you test them all in the same slot and you don't get any errors, you'll then have to try different slots as you may have a bad slot.

10. bononos

bononos Diamond Member

If you've filled up all 4 slots, try the bad stick alone or paired up to fill up the 1st bank. It could be a failing mb like the poster above suggested. I think the 1st bank is the one closest to the cpu.

11. raildogg

raildogg Lifer

I've tried my original two RAM modules that I bought with the rest of the computer parts. I ran them overnight in their original RAM slots and there were no errors. Today, I'm going to try the other two additional RAM modules that I bought in their slots. If there are no errors, then I will have to try one at a time. What slot would you guys suggest? Bononos, I will use that slot.

I originally was planning on trying one at a time but for now, I'm testing them in pairs.

Thank you all very much. Appreciate that help.

12. raildogg

raildogg Lifer

I believe I may have found either a bad stick or a bad slot. I ran one RAM module in one slot and it passed 3 passes and was almost onto the 4th one. I quit the test before it got to the 4th and put it in another slot and after the 3rd pass, there was one error. I'm now testing another RAM module in that same slot to see if its the RAM or the slot.

Thanks everyone.