Blue Ray Player Software

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by Perryg114, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Perryg114

Perryg114 Senior member

It looks like Blueray players are getting cheaper for desktops but what software do you need to play one? I assume your average DVD player won't do the job. I have a couple of Media Center 2005 computers that I might also be interested in making compatible with Blueray if that is possible. How much in the way of resources does a Blueray disk take over recording or playing an HD program?

Perry

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Blue Player Software Forum Date
    Blue Stacks runs AWFUL Software for Windows Apr 11, 2015
    WinDb, Debugging Blue Screens at Their Root Software for Windows Oct 23, 2012
    BLUE RAY SOFTWARE. What's the best. Software for Windows Jan 29, 2012
    V-FIOS + Blue Iris + External View + Port Forwarding = No worky - Please help! Software for Windows Apr 20, 2011
    Crapola! No flash player for 64 bit blues! Software for Windows Sep 20, 2008

3. Emulex

Emulex Diamond Member

most video cards made today handle blu-ray themselves so 0-10% cpu at most. most blu-ray players include software unless you are buying an oem pack?

4. Horsepower

Horsepower Senior member

I bought an OEM pack at Fry's and it even included software

5. MadScientist

MadScientist Platinum Member

Most retail blu ray players/burners come with an OEM version of PowerDVD.
    I don't know of any free players that will play blu ray disks. Some say a combination of VLC player and AnyDVD HD will work, but you have to purchase AnyDVD HD.

You can get Ashampoo's Burning Studio software free. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2124079

#4 MadScientist, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  6. Perryg114

Perryg114 Senior member

I screwed up and bought an OEM version Samsung drive from Newegg and it came with no software. Maybe I should return it for another brand that does have the software. The software costs more than the drive. I am still looking for software that does not cost and arm and leg to play Blueray. I don't need burning or editing or any of that other BS.

Perry

7. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Diamond Member

How to play Blu-ray, m2ts video

in Windows
    To play a Blu-ray Disc use PowerDVD, WinDVD or ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme. There are currently no free Blu-ray players(with menu support).
    Play m2ts files using the same software or free tools like VLC Media Player or Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

source: http://www.videohelp.com/play

8. Emulex

Emulex Diamond Member

yup save a buck buying oem and spend a ton paying for software. at least its a lesson learned. or ask someone to sell you their unused software player in fs/t forum

9. Perryg114

Perryg114 Senior member

Well If there was a retail version of that same drive I would have bought it.

Perry

10. Perryg114

Perryg114 Senior member

Newegg does not provide alot of info on what software comes with a drive OEM or retail. All you can do is read the reviews and try to get some idea what it comes with. The drive I ordered sometimes came with software and sometimes not. I guess it was the luck of the draw.

So what is the best Bluray software out there?

Perry

11. Fear No Evil

Fear No Evil Diamond Member

Does VLC handle Blueray?

12. Soundmanred

Soundmanred Lifer

Is VLC free?

13. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

So far as I know, not at this time.

Yes - it is an open source software project:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

14. Soundmanred

Soundmanred Lifer

It's free, therefore it doesn't play Blueray, that was my point.

15. abaez

abaez Diamond Member

VLC can do bluray if you have anydvd to decrypt. You can pretty much use any video proggie if you have anydvd.

I doubt there will ever be a totally free BR player due to licensing costs and such.

16. Perryg114

Perryg114 Senior member

Which player software/Media Center driver is the least flakey requardless of price? I would ultimately like to play through my existing MCE 2005 computers. I remember having to buy some software to do this with DVD's. I think it was made by Invidia. I believe all my Hardware is DVI interface.

Perry

17. jacktesterson

jacktesterson Diamond Member

I use PowerDVD 10 Ultra, works 100% for me.

18. Narmer

Narmer Diamond Member

I have a Powerdvd 8 software that came with my samsung blu-ray drive but it crashes my 64-bit windows 7 machine everytime I use it.

19. Auric

Auric Diamond Member

If keen on BD only then may as well have a stand-alone. Otherwise, as said, MPC-HC will play the movies sans menus as well as every other format. XBMC can be used as a browser. BD software is rather limiting. PDVD arguably has the edge in quality but does not allow folder playback like TMT. Dunno aboot WDVD these days but has not been much of a contender in the past.

20. Perryg114

Perryg114 Senior member

I ended up returning the Samsung drive in favor of the LG with the free software. This will give me something to play with till I figure out if I want to play Blu-Ray or not.

Will MPC-HC play Blu-Ray.

Perry

21. Perryg114

Perryg114 Senior member

I got the LG drive. There were two disks one red and one blue. The red one is PowerDVD 9 and it seems to work as well as the trial version of 10. Niether worked well on one of my machines but 9 worked fine on another one of my machines. 10 did not seem to be much better than 9. The movie I had did not support mouse click menu selection so there is a calculator looking thing that shows up and I had to double click the ok symbol to get it to advance to the movie. I did not see menus at all on the machine what I had trouble with. The other machine things worked better. I expect it was some sort of graphics driver problem.

Perry

22. mb

mb Lifer

It's Blu not Blue.

23. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

kinda OT but why the hell does power DVD disable the Areo interface when it plays a BR movie?