Blu-ray drive not detected, causing slow boot (iHBS112)

hurrakan

Mar 14, 2013
Hi,

My blu ray drive is no longer being detected in BIOS or Windows and this is causing my boot times to be excessively long.

I used Windows 7 Event Viewer to create a "Boot Time" custom view and noticed that the main delay was BootPNPInitDuration with a value of 65387ms.

I changed the SATA cable but when I tried booting again the computer wouldn't POST and kept restarting itself every few seconds :(

So I disconnected the SATA cable, rebooted and... instant fast boot!

I checked it in Event Viewer and this time BootPNPInitDuration was only 5387ms! So it looks like the previous slow boots were also 5387ms but with a 60000ms time out.

The drive is a LiteOn iHBS112 that I purchased in September 2011 and I've actually hardly used it. I think I (foolishly) updated its firmware not too long ago (to PL06).

Asus P8Z77-V (BIOS 1616)
SATA6_G1 = Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
SATA6_G2 = Samsung 830 120GB
SATA3_G3 = Samsung Spinpoint F4 EcoGreen (HD204UI) 2TB
SATA3_G4 = Samsung Spinpoint F1 (HD753LJ) 750GB
SATA3_G5 = (not detected) LiteOn iHBS112
SATA3_G6 = Western Digital Red WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 3TB
SATA6G_E1 (ASM1061) = Intel 510 250GB (SSDSC2MH250A2)

Is the blu-ray drive broken? Or is it more likely a problem with my motherboard or SATA cable/connection?

Thanks!
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
Obvious question - did the issue start after the firmware update ? Any chance you can try the drive in another rig ? I'd flash back to the PL05 if it's possible to backflash.

I own that same BD/RW and decided it wasn't worth the possible problems to update the firmware unless I REALLY needed to.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Lots of bad reviews on that drive.. barely used, quit working, not detected etc.. Time for upgrade?

My LG BH12LS38 has more than 1000 burns on it, still going strong. Does Lightscribe & you can get the newer model (BH14NS40) for around $60

Last edited:

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I know I shouldn't jinx myself and say mine is fine so far, as I read those same reviews, but so far I have had no issues.

Note that my usage so far is a steady diet of DVD, probably over 100 used exclusively for playback or burning, and only maybe 3 BDs played on the drive.

It was the cheapest one at the 'Egg when I bought it, and I've had lots of good Lite-On drives in the past. If you can't test it in another rig I'm offering to test it for you. I can just pop my drive out and try yours.

hurrakan

Mar 14, 2013
Obvious question - did the issue start after the firmware update ? Any chance you can try the drive in another rig ? I'd flash back to the PL05 if it's possible to backflash.

I own that same BD/RW and decided it wasn't worth the possible problems to update the firmware unless I REALLY needed to.
Not sure - I have a BD rip that has a "date modified" value of January 3rd 2014, so I guess it must have been after that.

I suppose I need to try the drive in a different port first - can't flash the firmware if I can't detect the drive :)

I think the problem may have started when I recently connected the Intel 510. I had to change a PCIE x16 setting to enable the ASMedia storage controller.

Last edited:

hurrakan

Mar 14, 2013
Lots of bad reviews on that drive.. barely used, quit working, not detected etc.. Time for upgrade?

My LG BH12LS38 has more than 1000 burns on it, still going strong. Does Lightscribe & you can get the newer model (BH14NS40) for around $60
Bah, really? I always research products for years before I purchase something. At the time, this drive was the only cheap option - I don't care about burning blu-rays. I only want to play them and/or rip them as fast as possible. But I would like to be able to burn CDs and DVDs. And it has to be quiet too.

But yeah, it seems no one is selling LiteOn drives anymore - it's all LG and Pioneer.

Last edited: