Blu ray disc reader/writer by sony

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
Mannn...... i thought that when blu ray discs come out they woould have advanced copy protection for games and movies, so much so that if we want to back up our games, we wont be able too.

seems like this is not how its going to be. Sony divulges information on Blu ray disc reader/writer for PC for video games and movies.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125390,00.asp

single layer= 25gb
Dual layer = 50gb

this will change everything!!

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
The copy protection doesn't control what you can put on the disk, it controls what you can take off. Until someone cracks the encryption, you will not be able to rip or copy Blue Ray or HD-DVD content.

B4RK0D3

Mar 29, 2006
I personally just started recently writing DVDs - I don't know if I'm really into the idea of a new, undoubtedly super-expensive media (at least yet). Thanks for the post though, interesting find! :)

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
I wonder how long it will take for the encryption to be broken. DVD didn't take long, but I'm guessing the industry tried harder this time.

RobertR1

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
First one to give me a combo drive takes my money. If not, I'll wait until there is a definitive winner.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Considering the amount of DVD's I burn, this doesnt interest me at all.

Oh in case you were wondering, I havent burned a single one and probably wont anytime soon.

I have two burners in my house as well, but rarely use them for reading CDs heh.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I frequently write DVD's and find them too small capacity wise and too large size wise. 12cm may have seemed "compact" back in the late 1970's when it was designed (actually half the packaged width of an LP record so as to fit in existing retail space) but come on, it's almost 25 years since they were introduced. At least they could have transitioned to the already standard 8cm size for the next gen. But the capacity for 12cm isn't even that great and so holographic looks more interesting for R/RW. Add the protection crap and the "format war" adds up to a red herring as they both suck. The main thing is that both primarily utilize the same codecs so will make AVC/AAC mainstream, which is long overdue. I can't wait for ye olde timey MPEG-1 and 2 and the legion of other obsolete codecs to die die die.

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
this blu ray is going to put extra competetion agains hard drives.

50 gb......thats more than what i have on my laptop.

200gb, thatas more than i have on my pc

whats next....makes me wonder?