Bloomberg: Those in public housing need to be finger printed.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
The Declaration of Independence is not a binding legal document. Citing it as if it was is asinine.

Also, the incredible irony- since the DOI is basically just what it says it is, a nation declaring itself independent from tyranny, it's sad how leftwingers really want the exact opposite- the Declaration of Dependence.

Every bit of bullshit the left screams and whines for is the exact OPPOSITE of declaring independence from tyranny. Demanding an out of control behemoth federal bureaucracy enslave others to provide you with a few scraps and that make you dependent on government is pretty much the left's Declaration of Dependence.

Why not just write the thing already, and get it over with? Here you go lefties, here's your Declaration of Dependance:

"We leftists hold these truths to be self-evident, that we are helpless and hopeless and everyone else is rich, greedy and evil and must be forced to take care of us. No one has any rights except those granted by an all-powerful centralized government. Politicians rule above all, have all the answers, and can tell everyone else what to do. We surfs that are helpless have the right to any and everything we demand, and those that we declare rich and greedy must be enslaved to provide it for us."

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
One thing about recessions which always seems to hold true is how people seem to get a lot more selfish and judgemental as a result.

Before I make my point, I should point out that I think the point of welfare for most people is to help correct a downward spiral (that would otherwise lead to homelessness) back into employment in the shortest term possible. A productive family's breadwinner might be made redundant and (especially in the current economic climate) might have difficulty finding another job that pays the bills, for example. I have more opinions about the ideal function of the welfare state but they're not relevant to the following point.

Let's say you didn't have the welfare system (which is basically what all the FREEEEEDOM! proponents here want), you would have a lot more homeless people, a lot more crime, and the emergence of ghettos. How many of you have rags to riches stories? How do you suppose your chances would be affected if you started at the very bottom of the pile?

Some people would look at such a situation and think, "In a civilised society, there shouldn't be so many homeless people. Those that can spare something ought to help those at the bottom of the pile". Others might think, "If we ensured that most of these people weren't homeless, then our homes and cars won't get burgled every other day, and we won't get mugged as often".

In a recession, when most people become significantly more selfish and judgemental, what do you suppose happens to people who are currently receiving welfare benefits if welfare was scrapped? That they would flock to the nearest job centre and employers would accept them with open arms, not thinking in the slightest that they're a bunch of smelly thieves? With or without a welfare system, what do you suppose happens to charity contributions during a recession, and how would that affect those who need it?

There will always be some people abusing the welfare system, and some people who actually need it for life. Without a welfare system, they're relying directly on your charitable impulses. While you're busy selfishly worrying about your little pile of shiny shit, many of those that are at the bottom of the pile who are just as selfish as you will eventually set their sights on what you've got, and because there's a now a vast employment pool that resents the fact that society does nothing for them, a huge black market and underworld will form. The money that was going to the welfare system would probably go straight to law enforcement instead, along with far greater sums because law enforcement would be attempting to keep people in line who have absolutely nothing to lose.

Last edited:

Darkman

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2013
Mayor Bloomberg Wants To Fingerprint New York City Housing Project Tenants...GOOD!

painlessrisen

mqdefault.jpg
3:32

Mayor Bloomberg Wants To Fingerprint New York City Housing Project Tenants...GOOD!

Published on Aug 18, 2013

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/16/bloomberg-public-housing-fingerprint/2666537/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Q-E4MV1vw

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Housing is a fundamental right. Everyone has a right to proper hosing.

And here I am being the damn sucker-fool paying for my own housing when I should be demanding my housing costs spread out across the whole tax-payer base, because dammit I am ENTITLED TO IT!!!!

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
And here I am being the damn sucker-fool paying for my own housing when I should be demanding my housing costs spread out across the whole tax-payer base, because dammit I am ENTITLED TO IT!!!!
Are you describing HARP: Part III?

Darkman

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2013

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Not surprising mr soda size wants to do this.

I'm picturing the opening of Half Life 2, where someone with a bar codes walks up to a dispenser and collects small, white, no-labled half-can of soda. :D

Bloomberg's Projects everyone!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Since public housing assistance is not an entitlement, I don't see how fingerprinting can be a problem as long as the rule is applied evenly amongst applicants.
I have no problem with fingerprinting applicants as part of a background check, but if the locks are getting broken I don't see how necessarily fragile fingerprint scanners would survive long enough to be of use. Personally I like de Blasio's idea of installing security cameras, which would also be a huge economic stimulus to those who manufacture, sell and install security cameras. Lessee, 1 camera/50 residents times 400,000 residents times average life span of one day = big profit!

The problem with biometric door locks is that once the door is opened, that individual can let anyone in. I wouldn't expect politicians to understand anything that basic.

So, it's just more bloviating by the Little General.
LOL Another good point.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That's funny, I can't find that in the constitution or the declaration.

As mentioned, it is the pursuit of happiness, not the guaranteeing of it.
We're diverging as a people so that we no longer even speak the same language. In the progressive lexicon, "pursuit of happiness" requires that someone else first satisfy all their needs. How can I pursue happiness when I must work to feed, clothe and house myself? Same thing with freedom; most of us would define freedom as a lack of external constraints to one's actions, but increasingly it is being defined as having someone else protect one from all the dangers and discomforts inherent to a free creature.

This is not a trivial thing because no less than President Obama said that the problem with the Constitution was it's all negative rights, what government cannot do to you, when what we need are positive rights, what government must do for you. You know, entitlements. When we get those positive rights, we must lose all our negative rights, for government has nothing it does not take from someone else and therefore cannot provide anything FOR you without first taking something FROM someone else. And we're all someone else to other people.