[Bloomberg] Tesla Shifts to Intel From Nvidia for Infotainment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The embedded market is slow and design wins that you see in the market today have been in the pipeline for a long time. And those designs will continue to sell for many many years after the initial launch.

Gemini Lake has been out for awhile though. How long ago did you think anyone made these decisions?

Also if they are just announcing the decisions today, then the "slow" part of it comes in implementation. We may just be seeing things at the start of the "pipeline". Which means we may not see Intel chips in Tesla or Audi vehicles for years. If that happens, you would think Intel would be selling them on stuff like Tremont, not Apollo Lake.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
Gemini Lake has been out for awhile though. How long ago did you think anyone made these decisions?

Also if they are just announcing the decisions today, then the "slow" part of it comes in implementation. We may just be seeing things at the start of the "pipeline". Which means we may not see Intel chips in Tesla or Audi vehicles for years. If that happens, you would think Intel would be selling them on stuff like Tremont, not Apollo Lake.

I believe the Model 3 and newer Model S/X now use Apollo lake embedded systems for the infotainment.

Someone actually got Ubuntu to run on their Model 3 infotainment system and it uses an atom A3950, 1.6/2.0 GHz, 4c/4t and a 12w TDP according to Intel ARK

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajay

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Huh okay. See that makes sense. The Model3 has been on the drawing board for awhile.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What....Another lucrative market drying up.

Apple, Nvidia, Intel have already peaked, only way left is down. lol

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why do you say that?

It's my gut feeling or opinion. The future will prove me right or wrong.

Apple's sales/demand is down.
Intel scrambling to stay ahead.
Nvidia loosing markets, launching overpriced offerings.

All 3 following similar fates currently. Maybe temporary or beginning of something worse?

They all have the arrogant attitude and like to rape and pillage their customers.

If your just referring to the lucrative market comment then it's one of those things that was praised in the AMD vs Nvidia wars. Getting into other markets that AMD didn't have a presence in was a big plus, lot's of money, head start, etc.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Weird. Wonder why so many automakers are dumping NV.

Tesla's MCU vs MCU2 is like night and day.

MCU should of been much faster, but it was honestly a piece of junk compared to the new MCU.
The thing also ran a LOT hotter, and was more prone to QoC fails then the intel MCU.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017

MCU should of been much faster, but it was honestly a piece of junk compared to the new MCU.
The thing also ran a LOT hotter, and was more prone to QoC fails then the intel MCU.
TLDR Tegra sucks

Reactions: NTMBK

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

TLDR Tegra sucks

Guess I can't fault automakers from wanting stuff that works. You would think that automotive entertainment systems would be best-served using repurposed mobile ARM hardware (rather than NV chips or Atoms). Maybe, eventually, they'll get there. For now, if Intel gets the job done, then why not?

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Wow, what did Jensen do to piss off Elon?

Just his usual antics, probably. nVidia is a great product company -- they make great GPUs. However, every nVidia partnership in history has ended with the partners leaving in disgust and choosing other solutions, even if those other solutions are technically inferior.

It would be interesting to know the details of what went on behind closed doors, here or with the consoles.

Mar 10, 2006
Guess I can't fault automakers from wanting stuff that works. You would think that automotive entertainment systems would be best-served using repurposed mobile ARM hardware (rather than NV chips or Atoms). Maybe, eventually, they'll get there. For now, if Intel gets the job done, then why not?

There's more to building an automotive-grade platform than just re-purposing mobile hardware.

Reactions: footballrunner800
Mar 10, 2006
Intel re-purposed Atom, and it worked.

There's more to the solution that Intel sells to car makers than just a "re-purposed Atom." These are specific SKUs, often validated for use in much harsher temperature/environmental conditions. There's also a significant amount of work that happens in the software stack.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
There's more to the solution that Intel sells to car makers than just a "re-purposed Atom." These are specific SKUs, often validated for use in much harsher temperature/environmental conditions. There's also a significant amount of work that happens in the software stack.

. . . and that's exactly what Huawei could do with their Kirin products or Qualcomm could do with their Snapdragons. You don't think they know how to ruggedize their mobile designs? In the end I suspect those platforms would both be better-suited to little touchscreen entertainment systems in automobiles than Atoms. If they tried.

Reactions: beginner99
Mar 10, 2006
. . . and that's exactly what Huawei could do with their Kirin products or Qualcomm could do with their Snapdragons. You don't think they know how to ruggedize their mobile designs? In the end I suspect those platforms would both be better-suited to little touchscreen entertainment systems in automobiles than Atoms. If they tried.

That's like saying, "All I need to do to become an Electrical Engineer is to go to school for four years. Don't you think I can do it?"

Well, sure, but nobody's going to hire you because you theoretically could. They're going to hire someone who did. And Intel's been in the embedded business for a very long time.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That's like saying, "All I need to do to become an Electrical Engineer is to go to school for four years. Don't you think I can do it?"

Well, sure, but nobody's going to hire you because you theoretically could. They're going to hire someone who did. And Intel's been in the embedded business for a very long time.

With all due respect to companies like Mediatek, Samsung, Huawei, Apple, and Qualcomm . . . do you think they're on the same level as some random forum zombie claiming he could become an EE? Honestly. That is a poor analogy. Assuming they aren't already working on automotive solutions (Apple most certainly is, albeit in "secret"), it would be maybe 2-3 years before any one of those companies could release a viable product. Adoption might take another 1-2. Gentlemen, they have the technology.