[Bloomberg] Tesla Shifts to Intel From Nvidia for Infotainment

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
So AMD for the cars' AI and Intel for their giant information and entertainment screens?

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
Model S was long in need of a upgrade to its infotainment CPU, seem like the perfect application for Intel's Compute Card.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
When Nvidia is in both businesses, and could have been a "one-stop shop" for Tesla? I agree, someone pissed off somebody.

Hmm, probably more to do with their VP of Autopilot Hardware. ;)

And on that topic, their jump to Intel could be only temporary... given what they've been brewing.

Reactions: happy medium

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Looks like a good application for the Apollo Lake Atom. Should be a very big upgrade from the Tegra 3.
Apollo Lake with higher TDP (to sustain its dismal boost) should be enough for "smart" car. As long as they don't do Blender in their car, it should be fine.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Oh so they discovered that if you have the intel inside sticker, the car becomes faster?

Reactions: alexruiz

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
I doubt there's any real drama in it. Profits and business goals drive these things.
Exactly. Just like Apple basically ruining an entire company just so they could shave a minuscule cost off their iGPU. NV is fast becoming the technology leader for these kinds of apps so I am sure they want to charge a premium. Elon and Co. probably figured they could get 90% the performance for much cheaper from Intel.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Oh so they discovered that if you have the intel inside sticker, the car becomes faster?
The car becomes faster due to AMD AI, the Intel chip is for entertainment. Good entertainment shortens travel time though, so it may still be true.

Mar 10, 2006
Some ARM-based SoC are definitely better than Apollo Lake.

For sure. But Apollo Lake is definitely good enough for what Tesla apparently wants to use it for. Goldmont & Gen9 are reasonably quick, the SoC should be reasonably efficient, and I wouldn't be surprised if Intel is giving Tesla a good deal on the parts to boot.

Intel is really serious about its IoT/embedded biz and wants to signal to Wall St. that it is too, and this is exactly the kind of high-profile design win with which to achieve that goal.

Reactions: happy medium

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Exactly. Just like Apple basically ruining an entire company just so they could shave a minuscule cost off their iGPU. NV is fast becoming the technology leader for these kinds of apps so I am sure they want to charge a premium. Elon and Co. probably figured they could get 90% the performance for much cheaper from Intel.
For AI it's about control and integration. Nvidia may become the technology leader, but it's Nvidia then not Tesla, and Tesla apparently prefers to have its own solutions not available to competitors. Like Apple.

Since they picked AMD semi custom for AI I'm honestly not sure what role Intel is really going to play there. Driving information and entertainment screens, however giant they are, doesn't sound like a huge design win to me.

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
For sure. But Apollo Lake is definitely good enough for what Tesla apparently wants to use it for. Goldmont & Gen9 are reasonably quick, the SoC should be reasonably efficient, and I wouldn't be surprised if Intel is giving Tesla a good deal on the parts to boot.

Intel is really serious about its IoT/embedded biz and wants to signal to Wall St. that it is too, and this is exactly the kind of high-profile design win with which to achieve that goal.
Yeah, they perhaps made an offer Tesla could not refuse, contra-revenue strikes back. After all the chip ends in a tablet like screen :D

I find it odd they would have Jim Keller on board only to buy already existing solutions. Or perhaps is he focusing on chips for other duties than the infotainment.

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
The car becomes faster due to AMD AI, the Intel chip is for entertainment. Good entertainment shortens travel time though, so it may still be true.
Nah, it's going to be the infotainment system that plays the fake exhaust noise in the cabin.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Weird. Wonder why so many automakers are dumping NV.

Also I would imagine that Tesla would be more interested in Gemini Lake/Goldmont+ or Tremont. Apollo Lake is already old hat. No reason to use it.

Mar 10, 2006
Weird. Wonder why so many automakers are dumping NV.

Also I would imagine that Tesla would be more interested in Gemini Lake/Goldmont+ or Tremont. Apollo Lake is already old hat. No reason to use it.

The embedded market is slow and design wins that you see in the market today have been in the pipeline for a long time. And those designs will continue to sell for many many years after the initial launch.