Bloomberg Bans Food Donations.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Damn, Bloomberg has jumped the shark. WTF!

Don't know what else to say....SMH.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It's No doubt it promotes the general welfare.

When you have unopposable power nothing is too stupid.

Who's going to make the first justification?

You can't just feed the homeless. By god man, not all food sold in America is sanctioned by the United States government. Think of the dangers of off the shelf food products!! Need a prescription for that sort of thing.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

It's more than that. It's the fall of the USA from within. It has already occurred. This is postmortem as septic shock spreads throughout the whole body. Rome 2.0

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I used to work at a Pizza Place when I was younger. When people didn't pick up their orders, we'd give the pizzas to this homeless guy that hung around going through the trash at various food places after closing time looking for something to eat. I'd always buy him something to drink too. He was a good guy.

He froze to death in an abandoned house during the Winter one year.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Here most food for the school lung program is thrown away. Every day dumpsters full of government purchased food is thrown away.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
Here most food for the school lung program is thrown away. Every day dumpsters full of government purchased food is thrown away.

this is the kind of thing that needs change.

why can't an organization (even a govt program be created) get smart, and use that waste, as a means to provide for a homeless shelter/soup kitchen

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's nothing more than a sensible method of keeping the homeless fit and healthy. Most likely the law was enacted because the repugs were poisoning the homeless by giving them unhealthy food.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

why can't an organization (even a govt program be created) get smart, and use that waste, as a means to provide for a homeless shelter/soup kitchen

Why don't you do it? Take the lead and make it happen.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

The larger you grow an organization the less able it is to adapt to changes, the more prone it is to inefficient behavior due to increased bureaucracy. Even mega businesses operating on economies of scale can only get so large before they hit diminishing returns on their ability to become more efficient due to their size. This is further magnified when you are using "FREE" money, aka tax payer money.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Is this worse than laws preventing people from feeding the homeless in other states?
Or laws preventing people from "loitering"
Or states giving the homeless bus tickets to other states?

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
If the donated food is still within expiration dates then it shouldn't be refused...

Who's on the bill to inspect these incoming goods?

Last edited:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
"A number of years" does not make up for 3 decades of spiraling murder rates.

800px-NYC_murders.PNG

500 murders are year is nothing to be proud about.

Houston the other hand had around had about 260 - 300 murders a year for the last decade, about 1/2 of new yorks.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Houston-Texas.html

Murders in 2009:

New York city - around 500
Houston - around 287

Ha. Your chart shows that it does "make up for it". And if you can't understand the per capita rates being higher in Houston than NYC I think we're all done with this conversation.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Bloomberg was a Republican until not too long ago, to call him a liberal would not be correct at all, he is pro life and opposes the death penalty true, but those should not be the only criteria.

Anyways, wouldn't most food being donated be in retail packaging with dietary information? Also if it is produce or game the dietary information would be easy to assess. So his excuse is bullshit.

I would guess that the main reason for this is to continue the war against the homeless NY has been waging for quite a while now, using the nutty food nazi stuff as a cover being as he is nationally recognized for it.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Bloomberg is a Republican Wall Street tycoon who decided to run for NYC mayor as an independent as it is impossible for a Republican to win there anymore.

There are valid reasons for such a ban, but these reasons seem silly. My local food bank can supply meals at a cost of 19 cents each. It makes far more sense to contribute cash to them rather than a bag of groceries which will cost me far more than they can buy it at. For pretty much the same reason the Red Cross will not accept food donations (except for Romney staged PR events).