BloodBorne - Might be the game that make me buy a PS4

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Finally decided to sell my Xbox One and got the Destiny PS4, which came with Destiny Legendary Edition, plus I bought Diablo 3 and Bloodborne.

Bloodborne...damn that game is good. It's a gothic Dark Souls that will make me throw my controller on the wall, i'm sure of it.

Just started the game, is that normal that the first monster you encounter kills you easily? I guess it is since you wake up in the dead world and get some weapons from that.

I choose the Cane and the handgun. Heard so much great things about the cane here. One thing I don't like though, I can't seem to know when I buy a piece of armor if it's actually gonna be an upgrade, there don't seem to have some comparison screen to show both items stats...can you do that?

Anyways, the monster design is freaking awesome as the overall game.
You can look at the right of the selected armor or on the bottom section for stats. It is a great game I just haven't played it since last time I left off. Definitely a keeper. Take your time and upgrade your cane as well as your stamina and vitality. The better you get the nicer your cane will scale. Unless you go for a strongman or power build. The cane option let's you do speedy attacks.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I chose Violent Past for my "background" when I created my character which gave me STR and another stat...but i'll be sure to upgrade STA and VIT which are pretty vital.

Sep 29, 2004
A bunch of us at work played this through once when it came out. It was awesome.

When the DLC comes out next month, we are all going to play it again starting with new characters)

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Jesus I suck balls at this game. Hardcore.

Probably played for 6 hours, can't even find another checkpoint beyond the first area, Central Yhardam or whatever it was, before something kills me lol. Not sure I'll ever be able to complete this game.

Probably need to read up on some basics I guess. The 30fps or less isn't helping, definitely not use to that.

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
BestBuy has this game and God of War III Remastered as well for $25 each right now on their site. Really tempted but all the reports how hard it is makes me wary, not a fan of grinding through games.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
BestBuy has this game and God of War III Remastered as well for $25 each right now on their site. Really tempted but all the reports how hard it is makes me wary, not a fan of grinding through games.
How is god of war remastered? It just including all the three god of war games?

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Jesus I suck balls at this game. Hardcore.

Probably played for 6 hours, can't even find another checkpoint beyond the first area, Central Yhardam or whatever it was, before something kills me lol. Not sure I'll ever be able to complete this game.

Probably need to read up on some basics I guess. The 30fps or less isn't helping, definitely not use to that.

Don't worry, like the Dark Souls series, this game is made to make us suffer and throw controllers at walls.

I suck too mostly because i'm in and out with the game. I can play for an hour then play something else and come back a week later and have to get used to the controls again...

But the game is awesome, gothic atmosphere and monster design is really well done.

Keep at it, you will get better.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Finally got to a point where I'm comfortable shelving this game until the DLC. Got my plat a few weeks ago (admittedly I did use the USB save trick for the endings), cleared all regular chalice dungeons and just finished a FRC Pthumery Ihyl that I made.

I was so frustrated by the end of that dungeon that it just became a matter of finishing what I'd started. I've always felt like Bloodborne was a hard but fair game, and this FRC dungeon has skewed my opinion toward "it cheats on higher difficulties."

I don't recall what I had for the first boss since I created it several weeks ago, but the 2nd boss was the jumping version of Undead Giant, and the final boss was Bloodletting Beast. So much bull. I thought Defiled Watchdog and Defiled Amy were hard. Yeah, not so much. They were a cakewalk compared to these two. With the undead giant, his leap seemed so random to me. Sometimes I could dodge it, sometimes I'd dodge at the same time but get 1shot. With Bloodletting Beast, it was his swipes. Sometimes, even at the very start, one attack would be 4 swipes. Yet, seemingly randomly, he'd launch into a 6 swipe thing for no reason that I could tell, and I also could not see a way to tell if it was a 4 or 6 swipe attack coming. So basically, take your chances and hope for some luck. Because of those, I won't be doing another FRC beyond maybe some easy stuff in the Reddit spreadsheet for gems/runes.

So, I'm currently sitting at level 240 (50/40/50/50/50/50) at the end of NG+
with Gherman dead but Moon Presence still alive
. I have all weapons/guns at +6 except Ludwig's at +10 and Evenlyn/Blades of Mercy/Burial Blade/Kirkhammer at +9, with 1 blood rock in my inventory. I have max stacks of stuff on page 1 of the vendor. And $40 in my PSN account for the DLC when it hits :biggrin:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I beat Bloodborne and am thinking about playing through chalice dungeons to get platinum (I've never platinumed a game).

This game felt way easier than the whole Dark Souls series to me. Am I the only one?

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I beat Bloodborne and am thinking about playing through chalice dungeons to get platinum (I've never platinumed a game).

This game felt way easier than the whole Dark Souls series to me. Am I the only one?

I found it way harder than Dark Souls or Demon's Souls (the other two games in the series I have played). In Dark Souls and Demon's Souls I could hide behind a shield while in Bloodborne I was absolutely required to parry to survive a ton of fights. Though it could just be Bloodborne being my first Souls like game. I think a lot of people consider the first game they ever played in the series to be the hardest. I always hear people saying Demon's Souls was the worst but that game was a cakewalk for me. And Orphan of Kos is far and away the most difficult boss fight I have ever played.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

I never finished it because it took me forever to make progress but once you level up it's alright. I think it's tougher than dark souls or to say the least, about similar. You definitely need to carry a lot and think about what weapons you will use and upgrade. The bosses are also very tough and involve a lot of parry/attack strategy as well as timing.

Sep 29, 2004
The game is fun to try to beat on your own but you will go insane if new to this style of game. Might want to watch people doing speed runs to learn some strategies. Some speed run strats are crazy and definitely dig deep into the point sysutem built into the game. You can still learn about parrying and various attacks that bosses perform.

If you play multi-player, the game is much easier. I hope Bloodborne 2 does something to balance multi-player vs computer more.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I got my platinum tonight. The later chalice dungeons got pretty hard. Defiled Amygdala killed me more than anything in the main game. Bloodletting Beast was probably the second hardest for me. Ironically, Yarnham, the trophy boss and the very next one after Bloodletting Beast, was one of the easiest bosses in the game and an easy one-shot.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My son is a master at this game. I tried it a year or so ago and I just suck at it. Way to hardcore for my 52 year old ass.

Reactions: IHateMyJob2004