• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Blood tests

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Welp, got some results. I didn't fast (ate a midnight dinner of butter and glutinuous rice flour pancakes. Also an egg, and one lean beef patty(grass fed) at dinner, so I have a hunch I spiked my cholesterol(the high HDL seems to suggest that).

1636588257515.png
1636588336661.png
1636588513496.png
A1c came out to 5.3%, which is exactly the same as it was 2.5 years ago and I drank Core Power and other stuff.
BUN is up from two years ago, where it hovered 13-15.

This is not a good indication of faux keto "dental preservation diet" I've trying to subscribe to because I've been eating a pizza(made from store dough) or equivalent starch bomb every day for the past two weeks or so for the sole sake of clearing out the fridge and pantry so my mom doesn't have to(her liver panel actually has concerning numbers). I've also gained a little weight, from 54.1kg to 55.9kg.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Labs look fine, lipids look like a relative fasting sample honestly. You probably don't need to fast for cholesterol levels anyway.

That'll be.. I dunno, a hundred bucks?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am on Crestor and now my LDL barely registers. My cholesterol doubled after surgery.

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Based on my intake and synthesis of information, I consider cholesterol a valuable nutrient in and of itself, and homeostatically regulated tightly by the body. As far heart attack goes, it's a lesser concern based on my family history. If family history is anything, some sort of cancer or dental issue will end me. Even if I were at risk, I'd focus on not inflaming the blood vessels in the first place with a bare-minimum carb diet, reeling in all the antioxidant micros, and reduce factors that increase oxidative stress in the blood vessels. .

LDL is a lipoprotein that allows cholesterol to be transported through the blood since water and oils don't mix.

I find resources like Dr. Ford Brewer's youtube channel to be useful in understanding with greater detail what goes on in plaque development. The following was a random suggestion via Youtube and the first video I watched.

Thankfully, I have a repulsive reaction to vegetable oils. Hate the smell, hate the taste, leaves behind a headache.

While I do not have to worry about statins, mom's bloodwork came out with high numbers in liver enzymes and the lipid panel, and thus the doc has suggested statins. I have no interest in going down that route since too much is essentially nutrient deprivation.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Went plant based on 1/1/2017 and I'm now 50. I was 49 when I had the last blood test. My blood pressure has also dropped which was good considering my diastolic had been 90 for years. Both of my parents have heart issues and diabetes. I didn't want to go down that road or take any more meds than I do currently so I made a change.

BloodBeforeAfter.jpg

BloodAfter.jpg

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Went plant based on 1/1/2017 and I'm now 50. I was 49 when I had the last blood test. My blood pressure has also dropped which was good considering my diastolic had been 90 for years. Both of my parents have heart issues and diabetes. I didn't want to go down that road or take any more meds than I do currently so I made a change.

View attachment 52800

View attachment 52801
Looks really good for the goals you're aiming for.
Those triglycerides are very low. Do you have the past numbers for that as well?
I've come across content saying that triglyceride/HDL ratio is a stronger predictor of heart attack risk.
Also very interesting is that you have a naturally high amount of HDL.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Here are my latest results from my last physical; been pretty consistent for at least the last few years (36 years old). I cook all meals for myself, and I can't remember the last time I had fast food. Other than that, I limit red meat to two days per week, but I eat whatever I want. :)

1636901083391.png

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Looks really good for the goals you're aiming for.
Those triglycerides are very low. Do you have the past numbers for that as well?
I've come across content saying that triglyceride/HDL ratio is a stronger predictor of heart attack risk.
Also very interesting is that you have a naturally high amount of HDL.
I could only find the one set of complete results. When my doctor went over one of the older results he said I had super woman level good cholesterol. I think that was in 2014 and is part of the reason he tested again in 2015 if I remember correctly.

I see him again in two weeks and I'm sure he'll want to do blood work. I'm pretty sure the results will be worse since I've gotten in the habit of using a bit of olive oil and I'm fixing an iced coffee every night.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Welp, got some results. I didn't fast (ate a midnight dinner of butter and glutinuous rice flour pancakes. Also an egg, and one lean beef patty(grass fed) at dinner, so I have a hunch I spiked my cholesterol(the high HDL seems to suggest that).
Your numbers in general are good. Your LDL and cholesterol numbers are not ideal, and you could work on getting them down to reduce your risk of heart disease (people with your numbers die of heart disease every day) but you are in the area of lower risk (assuming your genetics don't put you at higher risk).

I had been eating primarily fruit and vegetables for 4 months prior to this test in 2015 and 47 yrs old
Cholesterol 168 mg/dL
Triglycerides 128mg/dL
HDL 41mg/dL
LDL (calculated) 101 mg/dL

2019 at 51 yrs old
Cholesterol 157 mg/dL
Trigglcerides 72 mg/dL
HDL 49 mg/dL
LDL (calculated) 94 mg/dL

My goal is LDL around 70mg/dL but I haven't really been working hard at it.

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Somewhere on your test does it indicate Blood Type??
They usually don't include it in routine lab work. You have to ask for them to specifically test it.

One way to get it with no cost (besides transportation) is to donate blood, but you still have to ask the blood bank for the info.

Reactions: IGBT

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
They usually don't include it in routine lab work. You have to ask for them to specifically test it.

One way to get it with no cost (besides transportation) is to donate blood, but you still have to ask the blood bank for the info.
Quest told me the same thing...something so fundamental as blood type but not included in the standard blood test result..

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Quest told me the same thing...something so fundamental as blood type but not included in the standard blood test result..
It's not as though it changes, so it makes sense that they wouldn't include it in every result.

Reactions: IGBT

ASK THE COMMUNITY