Blocking "Unavailable" calls on cell phone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by joshw10, Jun 26, 2004.

1. joshw10

joshw10 Senior member

Recently I've been getting a lot of calls on my cell phone with the number listed as "Unavailable" which basically means they're blocking it from showing up on caller ID. It's always a telemarketer (except in rare circumstances) and unless I answer and talk to them, the phone will go off about once an hour. Is there anyway I can just block calls from "Unavailable" altogether?

2. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

Have you put you number on the "Do not call list"?

I thought it was against the new rule to cover up your, telemarkter, number now?

3. bmacd

bmacd Lifer

sometimes you can do it through your provider. Other phones allow you to block specific numbers. As for blocking ALL unavailable numbers, i'm not sure if it's possible. Best thing to do is to call up your provider and see if they can help. Something for you to think about though....whenever any of my brothers or sister call from school, it comes up as "unavailable", so that's a reason why i'd never do a full block.

-=bmacd=-

4. joshw10

joshw10 Senior member

I know a guy who works in child protective services, and whenever he calls me it comes up as unavailable. I can't think of any other instances though. I've never had someone try to call me from a pay phone, that is probably unavailable too.

5. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

it is illegal to make unsolicited phone calls to a cell phone number. all you need to do is tell them once that this is a cell phone, and they will hung up really quick you won't believe it. for them it's something in the order of $10,000s fine per call, so they don't want to get in that kind of trouble.