Blizzcon 2009

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yes. There's the Blizzard Store (two of them last year... one in Hall A, one in Hall C) and the Jinx store for the most part. There are other vendors, but I doubt they will be anywhere near as busy. Also, note that a lot of people are stupid and buy shirts from the Jinx store there... the only reason to buy them are if you want to save shipping costs as almost all items are available from the online store (the murlocs were the only thing that weren't available at that time).

Sometimes there will also be long lines for the food courts, which to my knowledge only took cash (and they weren't cheap). You can also go out and walk to various eating establishments that are close by. Oh and for the love of God, do not make the same mistake I did and choose a hotel that was further away because it "looks close." ( Marriot Suites: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=...1534,0.004216&t=h&z=18 ) It was either a 15 minute walk to the convention center (and trust me, staying off your feet when you don't have to will probably be nice as you will be standing a lot during the ~12 hours a day you'll be at the convention) or a 15+ minute wait for the one Anaheim Resort Transit bus, which wouldn't drop you off in front of center, but at the intersection of Harbor Boulevard and Convention Way ( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=...0.003067,0.008433&z=17 ).

The Hilton and Marriot both have close hotels... the Hilton is closer by a tiny bit but both are on Convention Way.

Also note that if you bring a backpack, which may be easy if you want to bring a snack or a bottle of water or whatever, they will have to check it before you can enter. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Also, when it comes to getting into the convention center, there will be looooong lines outside before it starts. They may change this as I know the first day the line was wrapping really far around the center, but the next day they herded us into the lobby of the convention center.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
So this is a trade show conducted by a game developer ... and attended by a bunch of men who have never had sex ... not even with a Catholic priest?

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Originally posted by: dud
So this is a trade show conducted by a game developer ... and attended by a bunch of men who have never had sex ... not even with a Catholic priest?

If you ever been to a Blizzcon, most of the attendees bring their GFs/wives and families. I wouldn't consider even less than half of them having "no lives".

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Links on information about this? I do not know what those are!

I really liked San Jacinto and Joshua Tree. Joshua Tree might be too hot in August though. San Jacinto is awesome.

San Jacinto

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Thank you Aikouka! I notice the hilton is about 90$ for a two bedroom, and 150 for the two days of the convention, which is probably what I will try to snag for those few days.

Do they offer any deals if you are going to blizzcon?

I will check those out Chaotic, thanks!

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Get there the night before and pick up your tickets. That way there is no line at all :D

I'm surprised the Hilton is only $90? Last year it was something like $225/night but it was sold out of rooms by the time the Blizzon tickets were on sale anyway. Are you sure you are looking at the right Hilton?

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
Get there the night before and pick up your tickets. That way there is no line at all :D

I'm surprised the Hilton is only $90? Last year it was something like $225/night but it was sold out of rooms by the time the Blizzon tickets were on sale anyway. Are you sure you are looking at the right Hilton?

159$ for that wed/thurs, fri/sat is 189$. It's description/name matches the one on the hilaton website.

I was a bit off, not exactly 90 per night... time to comb slickdeals, haha.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Total change in plans! We are flying out Aug 19th, and flying back Monday morning (the 24th). We are staying .6 miles from the convention center at the Cortona inn, which looks AWESOME! Plus they have a continental breakfast...4 nights hotel + round trip airefare for me and my buddy came out to 588$ from orbitz. I also had a 75$ coupon code that worked great.

We are going to take a cab the .6 miles for about 10 bucks, and just walk back, or take a cab back...they should they will drop us off right at the front too.

We got a queen with a double queen bed...anyone interested in bunking up with us in our room, let me know :p. I could probably swing getting an extra COT or something....or you could have a bed if you wanted.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Man, tickets for Blizzcon are on ebay for like 250+ usd each. Starting to wish I had of bought some.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: TidusZ
Man, tickets for Blizzcon are on ebay for like 250+ usd each. Starting to wish I had of bought some.

I wish you were not allowed to resell them...

hoooold on, I just read this on blizzconn's website :

How much does a BlizzCon ticket cost? Each BlizzCon ticket costs $125. Tickets are non-transferable, non-refundable, and Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to deny admission to anyone who violates this policy.

They do not specify if it's for printed tickets, or what.....a little more about it :

Will I be able to edit any ticket details such as attendee names or character names after I?ve placed an order? Once you have placed an order, you can change the names of the attendees and associated realm and character information by logging in to Battle.net Account Management and clicking Order History. An option to edit attendee names for each ticket you purchased will be available for a limited time after purchase.

looks like there is a deadline...

You can edit attendee names for all of the tickets you purchased until 5 p.m. Pacific Time on June 13 by logging in to Battle.net Account Management and going to Order History.

little more for verifiction

What if I need to change the name of one of the guests I am bringing with me? You will have up until Saturday, June 13 at 5 p.m. Pacific Time to make any changes to attendee badge information in Battle.net Account Management. After this point, no further changes can be made. If you have not entered any information by this time, all attendee names will default to the full name of the Battle.net account holder.

what...LOOPHOLE?!

What if I don't know the names of the guests I am bringing to BlizzCon? If you do not know the names of the guests you are bringing to BlizzCon and will not know by June 13, put all of the badges under your own name. Bring *all* of the printed bar-code emails, along with your photo ID, to BlizzCon, and you will be able to pick those up all of the badges yourself and distribute them to your guests. Photo ID will only be checked at the time of badge pick-up.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah, you can literally just give someone else your pass and they can get in. For example, I was with a group last year that the one guy gave his girlfriend his pass, she went out and gave it to the guy's cousin and he just walked in with it :p. It's reaaaaaaally not hard to get into Blizzcon lol.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
As long as it's not over-crowded I guess...more so then it should be, IE they sell 10k tickets, it would suck if there was actually 5000 MORE people because they kept getting in/out like that.

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
Even though it's going to cost me an arm and a leg, I'm pretty sure I'm going. Interesting thing is that I know of only one other guildie going, and I ended up getting tickets from a longtime wow acquaintance in another guild :eek: