Blizzard looking to restore older titles (Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, StarCraft 1)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
It's about time.

Warcraft 3 on the Mac is the most ridiculous example. It still runs PowerPC code. But it ran pretty well with Rosetta. Until Apple decided to remove Rosetta with 10.7.

So the game will not run on Intel macs. But it should be even easier to get the game to run on Intel macs than anything else because...it's Intel.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
To be fair Hellgate: London's problems stemmed mostly from how the sales model was managed, not the actual game. The game was actually pretty darn fun.

I'd still play it if I could find it somewhere digitally for really cheap (<$10).

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I'd like to see the old games given a face lift. If they remade the games in the Diablo 3 engine and made it a separate campaign, I'd be all over that.

zink77

Jan 16, 2012
It is sad how far Blizzard have dropped since.. Diablo 2 LoD but even the best falter.

Well that was because it was decades between sequels for both starcraft 2 and diablo, the entire company personnel had changed. So they were made by completely different teams. World of warcraft really went on to screw up those sequels if we are honest. WoW really screwed up the other two properties by being such an overwhelming juggernaut eating up all the company resources for more than a decade.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Well that was because it was decades between sequels for both starcraft 2 and diablo, the entire company personnel had changed. So they were made by completely different teams. World of warcraft really went on to screw up those sequels if we are honest. WoW really screwed up the other two properties by being such an overwhelming juggernaut eating up all the company resources for more than a decade.

I wasn't going to say it as I'm not a fan of WoW.

Early on it never grabbed my interest or showed that it was any better than it's predecessors and as the money rolled in, it's reasonably destroyed potentially superior in different ways MMO's and of course changed the course that Blizzard took to the detriment of it's own catalogue.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

If anything, World of WarCraft screwed up the WarCraft lore. Since the original RTS games had you using heroes or just advancing parts of the plot in between major confrontations, you played a narrative where major characters pushed the story along. In World of WarCraft, most major encounters end with, "...was slain by Adventurers".

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Curious to see what "restore" means. I feel like since all three titles were mentioned it will be more of a 'new coat of paint'/modernization than complete re-make (which would seem like a huge amount of work for three full games). I'd expect things like compatibility with newer OSes and resolutions, bug fixes, integration with the BattleNet desktop client (ease of purchase/installation), achievements, tie-ins with current titles. Stuff that won't drastically change the games but make them more approachable to encourage a new generation of people that play games to try them out and get them entrenched in the Blizzard ecosystem.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
I'd buy 1080P high-res remakes for $10-15 tops.

Great classic games... but not worth NEW game prices.