bleh. wanting to learn linux; where to download redhat 9?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
redhat's site seems to me slow, I dload at like 50k/sec..

any mirrors? what are the differences between srpms and regular i386??

im assuming srpm's are additional packages I don't need?

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Meh, redhat. Actually...meh, linux. Download some FreeBSD, that's the nice stuff. If you're gonna go with learning Linux, make it gentoo.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
If you want to "learn" linux as in you've never played with it and you just want to quickly install it and forget about it check out Fedora (the redhat project's home project) or Mandrake. If you want to actually learn how it works and you want control over a lot of the detail check out Slackware or Gentoo. If you're somewhere in between check out Debian.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
gentoo.. what's easier about it?

I've got an extra hdd to throw it on. It's going on a dell that supports redhat (drivers on website)

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
i'm really not looking to install it and look at the pretty icons or whatnot.. I don't mind learning some command line stuff.

mainly, we've got one guy where I work that knows a decent amount of linux stuff.. (we use spamassasin .. or used to before postini) and some other stuff on linux. I was instructed during my performance review to get the basics of linux down.. well, we use redhat, so I guessed that it would be what I need to learn on.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: se7enty7
gentoo.. what's easier about it?

I've got an extra hdd to throw it on. It's going on a dell that supports redhat (drivers on website)

Easy...nothing. If anything, it's harder (have fun on your first install, make sure you've got the docs and alot of time.) But it's a good way to get into Linux as everything is compiled from source, and it gives you the opportunity to learn the more in depth things about the Linux environment.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: se7enty7
i'm really not looking to install it and look at the pretty icons or whatnot.. I don't mind learning some command line stuff.

mainly, we've got one guy where I work that knows a decent amount of linux stuff.. (we use spamassasin .. or used to before postini) and some other stuff on linux. I was instructed during my performance review to get the basics of linux down.. well, we use redhat, so I guessed that it would be what I need to learn on.

If you want to learn the basics any of the generic home installs will be fine. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
For mirrors, just look around. The mirror at UF was formerly fairly quick for me. UTK also had decent speed once upon a time.

I've had good luck with the INN, sendmail and many other rpms in the Redhat 9 distro. However, for OpenSSL, PHP, mySQL and Apache, I simply download the source files and compile.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
what's with fedora?

it sounds like redhat is going towards a "pay for it" scheme with redhat, and fedora will be the 'free' version...

should I go ahead and dload that, or go with tried/trusted redhat?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
I'm d/ling Fedora ATM. This should be interesting. I was trying to get Slackware but the torrent wouldn't work...

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
This is taking forever! 3 isos to d/l and it's only 50% through the first one
rolleye.gif
I'm gonna be up all day doin this... Good thing I don't have a job or school anymore :p
I'm only getting 122kbps from Redhat's Fedora site but I am using another couple hundred kbps of d/l bandwidth in Kazaa atm ;)

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I just made the switch from Slackware to Gentoo. My first Gentoo install was successful, but I tried to remove a package and ran "emerge depclean". Well, that was a major boo-boo, so I think I'm going to start all over.

Live and learn!

Installing gentoo is not complicated if you carefully read the instructions and you're setting up a straight-up Linux box with no dual-boot. I also installed from Stage 3 to avoid the long compile times.

djNickb

Oct 16, 2003
Try Knoppix -- it loads off of a CD, then you don't have to partition your drive-- good way to get a feel for linux