Blaupunkt AM/FM Media Receiver, $10

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Sold out!
Edit: still available at Walmart, free shipping with +$30.
Yea, an for some reason they won't do ship to store on this item so it's $6 to ship, still a great deal at that price. I'm kinda pissed at Amazon because when I bought it last night it said delivery by Fri but then it got changed.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
12 volt lithium battery pack.
I was thinking the same thing but have no idea if it would work when the battery dips near 11 volts. It would also need low voltage protection. I have eneloop/fujitsu AA's but not sure about their run time.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I was thinking the same thing but have no idea if it would work when the battery dips near 11 volts. It would also need low voltage protection. I have eneloop/fujitsu AA's but not sure about their run time.
There are a few workaround's, 1st is use a pack big enough to avoid a large voltage sag, i dont think you would hurt the unit if it went to 9-10 volts but your output power would be lower. 2nd is get a DC-DC or "buck converter", these maintain a steady pre-set voltage and they are not very expensive.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
There are a few workaround's, 1st is use a pack big enough to avoid a large voltage sag, i dont think you would hurt the unit if it went to 9-10 volts but your output power would be lower. 2nd is get a DC-DC or "buck converter", these maintain a steady pre-set voltage and they are not very expensive.
Thanks. I'll have to look into the buck converters.

drizzt0531

Dec 22, 2012
Ended up adding some misc items to get free shipping from Walmart. Also interested in portable music player conversion.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Thanks. I'll have to look into the buck converters.
OK, here's a solution although it might be overkill for a boom-box. I just bought 4 of these monster 4-cell pack Lifepo4 batteries, here's the link if you're interested, https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HEADWAY-...AOSwUYNaS8aC:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!32119!US!-1
Now these are capable of massive amounts of power, in my case i'm going to use a 150 watt RMS car amp with some Pioneer bookshelf speakers I have laying around. Yes, I plan on building the worlds most powerful boom box!. I've already started the enclosure and will post pics when it's all done.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
OK, here's a solution although it might be overkill for a boom-box. I just bought 4 of these monster 4-cell pack Lifepo4 batteries, here's the link if you're interested, https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-HEADWAY-...AOSwUYNaS8aC:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!32119!US!-1
Now these are capable of massive amounts of power, in my case i'm going to use a 150 watt RMS car amp with some Pioneer bookshelf speakers I have laying around. Yes, I plan on building the worlds most powerful boom box!. I've already started the enclosure and will post pics when it's all done.
Those look awesome. Didn't know they made 'em that big. I could charge them easy enough but they might be overkill for me since I don't know how much power I need. I also ordered from amazon when they were backordered. I have had bad luck with some of my backorders ending up in a long limbo eventually ending up cancelled with or without any notification.

I am looking forward to your build though so be sure to post your progress.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Those look awesome. Didn't know they made 'em that big. I could charge them easy enough but they might be overkill for me since I don't know how much power I need. I also ordered from amazon when they were backordered. I have had bad luck with some of my backorders ending up in a long limbo eventually ending up cancelled with or without any notification.

I am looking forward to your build though so be sure to post your progress.
I ordered one from Wal-mart today just in case the Amazon deal falls through, (like you mentioned, it happens). Here's a review of the amp I'm planning to use,
although I have a bigger Visonik amp that I can use, (125W RMSX2) but I think the 85 clean watts the Phase linear should work just fine, plus it's much smaller.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
The manual says max current consumption is 10A so I'll probably just power it with an adapter to start with.

Amazon's page now says "Currently unavailable" which isn't encouraging. After reading your post I also decided to order with walmart since I needed nuts and seed anyways.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
The manual says max current consumption is 10A so I'll probably just power it with an adapter to start with.

Amazon's page now says "Currently unavailable" which isn't encouraging. After reading your post I also decided to order with walmart since I needed nuts and seed anyways.
As an idea, you can buy a used server power supply on Ebay for around $15-20 like this one, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Power...505189?hash=item5219e12aa5:g:PVoAAOSwrt5ckPmR it produces a staggering 71 12 volt amps for $17.00 shipped, enough for anything really. I might buy one to run the rig when AC is available and to keep the batteries charged.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
As an idea, you can buy a used server power supply on Ebay for around $15-20 like this one, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Power...505189?hash=item5219e12aa5:g:PVoAAOSwrt5ckPmR it produces a staggering 71 12 volt amps for $17.00 shipped, enough for anything really. I might buy one to run the rig when AC is available and to keep the batteries charged.
Might not be a bad idea. I have one I wired up for powering my hobby charger. This guy has wiring info for a couple of different models. https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/my-projects

This topic has even more info. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1292514-How-to-convert-Server-Power-Supplies

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I have two car radios powered by old PC power supplies in my house. One is hooked up to a set of Sony speakers, the other a set of aiwa speakers (this one is hooked up via rca to 3.5mm converter to TV).

They work fine. Sound great.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I have two car radios powered by old PC power supplies in my house. One is hooked up to a set of Sony speakers, the other a set of aiwa speakers (this one is hooked up via rca to 3.5mm converter to TV).

They work fine. Sound great.
I went that route once, i bought a cheapish Orion PS but it died after about 6 months of use, now that I found out about the used server PS's being so cheap I'll grab one of those.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I went that route once, i bought a cheapish Orion PS but it died after about 6 months of use, now that I found out about the used server PS's being so cheap I'll grab one of those.

Yeah, why not. I assume 50% efficiency when choosing a PSU. One of the setups doesn't have a CD player, so only needs 5A, the PSU outputs max 17A. The other has a CD player, so I used an old antec earthwatt that puts out more. They're fun little projects, and they work really well.