Blatent AnandTech Design Ripoff

Fandu

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
A friend sent over this link. which is a blatent ripoff of the AnandTech design.

I imagine it'll be a little while until The Boss (tm) can look into the matter, so in the mean time, send hate mail here Deleted

I mean they didn't even bother to change the graphics file names!

AnandTech:
<td width=132 background=&quot;i/themes/grey/module_grey3.gif&quot; bgcolor=&quot;F7F7F7&quot;>

Ripoff:
<td width=&quot;132&quot; background=&quot;../iBlue/module_grey3.gif&quot; bgcolor=&quot;#F7F7F7&quot;>

AnandTech:
<table width=100% height=5 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0 background=&quot;i/dottedlinenav.gif&quot;>

Ripoff:
<table width=&quot;100%&quot; height=&quot;3&quot; cellpadding=&quot;0&quot; cellspacing=&quot;0&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; background=&quot;../iBlue/dottedlinenav.gif&quot;>

Please do NOT advocate sending hate mail to anyone. Anand does not now, nor would he EVER condone such action.

Anandtech Moderator

Sorry, but this guy really does deserve some IMO.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Didn't this come up b4 w/ some other site? I think somebody said it was some kind of built in design w/ coldfusion. Don't really kno

Fandu

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Didn't this come up b4 w/ some other site? I think somebody said it was some kind of built in design w/ coldfusion. Don't really kno >>

The site uses ASP.

Pyxis

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2001

<< I am Fandu's friend who gave him the information. Please send a !friendly message to &quot;edited out&quot;

:)
>>

Sure;)

I think you might want to edit that before the mods see it.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
The directory names make it look like that. I could be wrong, I haven't seen ColdFusion in a while

Fandu

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey Mod, since the e-mail address given on the site bounces, at least let the masses express their displeasure with this sort of crap.

ok, ok. No spam. Then anyone wanting to can use the Deleted on the site.

Fandu,

We understand your ire at what you perceive as a ripoff of Anand, but please do not do that again. This is your last warning.

AnandTech Moderator

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
gee that's original, lame children please go do your homework or something.

Oct 9, 1999
one thing I know if an efficent design is available as a template and its a free template no one company can hold a look of its website hostage as an intellectual property right.

Many webmasters design based on effecient design. I know a place where I can get templates for site designs and they say they are not properiety.

So as long as the design schemetics of the site are the same its fine. However if you copy everything including the logo's and stuff like that then that's &quot;plagarism&quot;.. and you can be liable for taking properiety stuff.

A while back my brother discovered a website hosing an search engine with a similar front end as their. Infact when I pulled itup, I couldnt tell the difference execpt the &quot;Award&quot; symbol.. which said something else in it.

They were given a cease or desist letter ... I assume they complied.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Before you guys run off on a witch hunt you should probably make sure it is a hack job. I have seen this same subject come up several times and the same &quot;its a template&quot; comment made by other people. I'm not sure if its true or not but it should be checked into.

Jonny

Golden Member
Oct 26, 1999
Even if it isnt a fusetalk template...that company in no way looks like &quot;competition&quot; to Anandtech, so, who cares?

Muerto

Golden Member
Dec 26, 1999
There was another site that copied Anand's design too, much more so than this one did. It was almost identical except for the colour. I think that was almost a year ago now.

Fandu

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Muerto

Was that the one by Anders Hammervald? Because I remember people talking about that one...But he designed the AnandTech site so I don't see any problem there.