Info Blast from the past - troubleshooting WinXP Mode on Win7 Pro

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My Windows XP troubleshooting knowledge is rusty, there's no question about that!

A customer wanted me to take a look at her late husband's Win7 PC and specifically 'Windows XP Mode' on it to find out whether there was a piece of music software in there. First of all she didn't know what the login password was (I'm trying to remember how I used to hack XP passwords... I have a Win7 ntpasswd disc here, maybe I used that?), I ended up guessing it ('password'), then when I logged in I noticed a Word 97 icon. I fired that up (inspired by a touch of nostalgia), at which point XP promptly crashed, rebooted and said that the SYSTEM registry file was corrupted. I tried getting XP to boot from 'last known good configuration' which didn't make any difference.

I figured that I could mount the virtual file systems on a newer version of Windows. There are two, one in Program Files\XP Mode and the other in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC. I could only mount the former as read-only so that wouldn't help (not a file system permissions issue) and I couldn't mount the latter, Windows complained that the latter was part of a broken chain of images. The one in %localappdata% is easily big enough to house an entire OS image though. Puzzling.

I then noticed that XP Mode presents a fully-fledged BIOS which I accessed ('press DEL to enter setup'), changed the default boot device to a CD, got out my trusty WinXP Pro SP3 boot CD, booted into setup (the DOS-based setup threw me for a loop, while it was starting I couldn't remember for the life of me how to get a command prompt there) then recovery console ('Press R for recovery console'), then the non-standard 'chkdsk /p' fixed the filesystem, rebooted, voila, XP Mode works again.

I know that this is likely to be obsolete knowledge, but just like when I first thought about that when a person dies, so many of their photo collection becomes value-less (e.g. a customer was saying yesterday how they don't recognise tonnes of people from their parents' photo collection but feel obligated to keep it anyway), technical knowledge regarding bygone tech seems likely to suffer a similar fate, but it was really useful knowledge to me once! :)

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
So.. you are looking for Files.

Get the HGd out of the old computer, find away to attach it to a current computer through USB.

If you do not have a Gizmo it probably somewhere on Amazon.

:cool:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have a USB HDD enclosure already. I wanted to see if there was a sign of any vaguely software related music was installed, which is a lot easier to do if you can just see the Start Menu / desktop icons / recent icons / programs list.

Jul 27, 2020
That's really cool what you did with the XP mode BIOS. It opens up interesting possibilities to use it for some other OS like Linux. Great find!

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
That's really cool what you did with the XP mode BIOS. It opens up interesting possibilities to use it for some other OS like Linux. Great find!
What's the point in using a really old version of VirtualPC if vmware/virtualbox/qemu all work on windows 7?

Jul 27, 2020
What's the point in using a really old version of VirtualPC if vmware/virtualbox/qemu all work on windows 7?
Coz it's more integrated into the OS than the other options. I like doing fun experiments like that. Should be interesting to see if the performance is better than the others.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Coz it's more integrated into the OS than the other options. I like doing fun experiments like that. Should be interesting to see if the performance is better than the others.

My impression of XP Mode was that it was one of those projects that MS gave birth to and promptly abandoned; I haven't heard of say any improvements being made to it, and I can't say I'm surprised because XP Mode would be considered (by MS) at best a sticking-plaster solution with regard to legacy software that really ought to have been updated for Win7. Therefore I'd be really surprised if it outperformed other virtualisation solutions in any respect.

Oof, this is grim reading:

no supported guest operating systems other than XP/Vista/7 :D

The final version was 11 years ago.