Blackhawk Down 11:47 p.m. PST 11/6/03

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Yahoo reports a Blackhawk helicopter crash in Iraq. It's not clear now whether it was shot down or had mechanical failure. Yahoo Story. When I looked at this article it had a posting time 0f 11:47 p.m. PST on November 11.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
All six passengers on board dead. Army official suspects it was an RPG. Also another soldier was killed in an ambush. This brings to atleast 30 the number of US soldiers killed since November began.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
rose.gif
rose.gif
rose.gif
rose.gif
rose.gif
rose.gif

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
I think you're right, our people should not have to be there. What's sad is that before we came, Iraq was a third world country with a government that was ugly. When we leave, Iraq will be a third world country with a government that is either ugly or shortly will be ugly. All the human life, the destruction of the Iraqi infrastructure, and the expenditure of (all told) $140 billion will be for naught.

Conservatives! I'm fond of proposing tests for one's view of reality. I just predicted the future. How about you do the same if you oppose my point of view. Place your bets here. The US lacks the skill and resources to govern Iraq successfully.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Whitling
I think you're right, our people should not have to be there. What's sad is that before we came, Iraq was a third world country with a government that was ugly. When we leave, Iraq will be a third world country with a government that is either ugly or shortly will be ugly. All the human life, the destruction of the Iraqi infrastructure, and the expenditure of (all told) $140 billion will be for naught.

Conservatives! I'm fond of proposing tests for one's view of reality. I just predicted the future. How about you do the same if you oppose my point of view. Place your bets here. The US lacks the skill and resources to govern Iraq successfully.

Its tough to do any worse than the Iraqi people have.. unless you are going to claim Bush is going to go over there and start slaughtering 10's of thousands of people and dumping them into mass graves. Although, I kind of expect someone to say that soon.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Prior to the Gulf 1 war, Oraq was the most modernized and democratic of all of the countries in that region
(not counting Isreal - just the Arab and Muslim nations around them)
The only country where women actually were able to perform as people with minimal opression.
The U.S. invoked sanctions (Under UN Charter) ended that, and was soley responsible for Iraq dropping
from a second tier nation on the cusp of becoming a 1st tier nation back to a third world status.
Yes - Iraq under Saddam did invade Kuwait, but the reason was that Kuwait demamded instant payment
with all interest of the entire war debt that had accrued during the Iraq/Iran war that they fought as our
proxy under Reagan as punishment to Iran for the Ayatolla taking over the Iranian government.
The U.S. under Bush had already sent the message that we would not interfere if Iraq went after Kuwait -
it was only after it started and the Bush people examined the impact of the Oil Policies with Kuqait and
Saudi Arabia that the Petro-Powers pushed for the U.S. to force Iraq back out.

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Prior to the Gulf 1 war, Oraq was the most modernized and democratic of all of the countries in that region
(not counting Isreal - just the Arab and Muslim nations around them)
The only country where women actually were able to perform as people with minimal opression.
The U.S. invoked sanctions (Under UN Charter) ended that, and was soley responsible for Iraq dropping
from a second tier nation on the cusp of becoming a 1st tier nation back to a third world status.
Yes - Iraq under Saddam did invade Kuwait, but the reason was that Kuwait demamded instant payment
with all interest of the entire war debt that had accrued during the Iraq/Iran war that they fought as our
proxy under Reagan as punishment to Iran for the Ayatolla taking over the Iranian government.
The U.S. under Bush had already sent the message that we would not interfere if Iraq went after Kuwait -
it was only after it started and the Bush people examined the impact of the Oil Policies with Kuqait and
Saudi Arabia that the Petro-Powers pushed for the U.S. to force Iraq back out.

Most americans don't know this. The media has them brainwashed into thinking Saddam and Iraqis are hellspawn that need to be destroyed. Iraq was never a threat to the US back in the early 1990s and was not a threat to the US before this recent conflict. The US has put its own people in harms way. You can't blame the Iraqis for fighting invaders.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Crimson, I think that 10's of thousands is a slight exageration for the mass graves. Having said that, how many people in the mass graves are there because we encouraged the Shiites to rebel after Gulf I and then hung them out to dry by not supporting them? Now Crims, before you start a rant-o-gram, just answer the question as best you can, then rant on.

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
All six passengers on board dead. Army official suspects it was an RPG.

I didnt know that you could shoot Black Hawks down with Roleplaying games... I wonder if they used Nethack or Baldurs Gate...

fwtong

Feb 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Mardeth

I didnt know that you could shoot Black Hawks down with Roleplaying games... I wonder if they used Nethack or Baldurs Gate...

Had to be Neverwinter Nights

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

RPG = Rocket Propelled Grenade

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
Follow up on Yahoo.
published 1hr or so ago.
In retaliation, American troops backed by Bradley fighting vehicles swept through Iraqi neighborhoods before dawn Saturday, blasting houses suspected of being insurgent hideouts with machine guns and heavy weapons fire.

That' s just sick, shameful and grisly.

~bullsonparade (edited for grammar/ spelling)

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: fixMyAccount
Follow on Yahoo.
In retaliation, American troops backed by Bradley fighting vehicles swept through Iraqi neighborhoods before dawn Saturday, blasting houses suspected of being insurgent hideouts with machine guns and heavy weapons fire.

~bullsonparade

Insurgent_numbers++

after that incident.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: fixMyAccount
Follow up on Yahoo.
published 1hr or so ago.

~bullsonparade (edited for grammar/ spelling)

I seriously doubt that actually happened.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Yup, we're just a few steps away from bulldozing houses and ripping up olive groves (assuming Iraqis have olive groves). Now the middle east can watch Israelis on Al Jazeera blowing up Palestinian neighborhoods and in the next segment, the U.S. doing the same in Iraq. Wow, excellent strategy...

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Tabb

RPG = Rocket Propelled Grenade

Ok, I was wondering what that ment :).