BlackBerry?

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
Hey all you BB users,

I am looking a getting a BB. Not sure of which service or BB to go with.

My questions:
1. Any othe PDA functions then just email, calander, and browser that you like on yours?

2. What carrier do you prefer and why?

3. I prefer the QWERTY keyboard models. I am looking at the 8703e, 8800, 8830, and the like. Anyone with experiance with them?

4. Is it worth it? I know highly subjective.

I am getting into a position where I need more access to my email, less need for a PDA, and don't need a mobile camera/phone/pda/jukebox/notepad/etc in 1 device.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

tyanni

Sep 11, 2001
I have the 8800 from ATT - I generally really like it, although I find the phone function to be less useful than my old Treo 650 (phone button opens the call log, not a nice screen w\ a dial pad + quick dial options, although its not a touchscreen, so some of it makes sense...)I find the multimedia functions to be very good, much better than my 650 or the old BB I had several years ago. What are you going to use it for? The data can get very expensive quickly.

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
My primary use will be for Push email with calander, then internet access after that. It's use as a phone is what I consider a default primary.

leglez

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2005
I have a pearl on T-Mobile I believe it is an 8100. If you have any questions about it let me know

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I have an 8700 with Tmobile. Mostly for email and web with lite PDA functions. I am glad they are moving away form the sidewheel as it does get botehrsome if ya are browsing webpages for awhile.

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000
I have almost 70 users with the 8703e from Verizon at my work. Everyone seems to be pleased with it. We had the 7100 from Nextel/Sprint prior to these. The change was welcomed, as everyone liked the QWERTY keyboard much better.

I don't like how the GPS was disabled through Verizon's software though. Also, there is a lack of multimedia support on the browser. No videos or sound from the internet.

I've heard good things about the new 8830. The VZW rep is supposed to be bringing one in for me to test out soon.

I think, for E-mail support, the Blackberry can't be beat.

Some links:

8703e Simulator

Blackberry 8830

Blackberry Curve

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
1. I use notes, tasks, and calendar. The blackberry software syncs very well with outlook.

2. I prefer Tmobile because the unlimited blackberry is only $20. That includes tethering.

3. I used "suretype" for over a year on my 7100. It works pretty well but for heavy texting/emailing you want a qwerty model.

4. Worth it? Abosulutely. After you depend on a BB it is *really* hard to use something else. It is very fast, stable and most importantly - it WORKS.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
MedicBob, Im in healthcare (Im guessing you are as well) and personally, I use Windows Mobile, though I really like the blackberrys. Reason I like WM is there is an incredible amount of software avalible (drug reffrences, calculators, I can keep all my ACLS protocols on me at all times since I dont memorize every one). ONe thing I didnt like about the blackberrys was it seemed all the medical software wasnt 'installed' on the phone, but it installed a gateway to access it via the internet. Thats ok if you allways have cell signal, but inside much of the hospital where I work, I have no cell service, so if I need to look up a medication, I have all the info on my pda stored on a 2gb memory card. I think only the newest BB support memory cards. Plus, I have built in wifi, so if I need a internet connection and cant use cellular data, I can turn on wifi and use that. I dont think BB support Wifi as of yet. Along with WM, Ive also used Palm in the past, and noticed theres about as many medical programs for Palm as there is for WM. BB is far behind, but with a bigger user base, Im sure it will catch up. Though as you state, you dont need the pda functionallity as much as the email, so maybe BB is the way to go. No one beats it on email (thought a new version of Blackberry Connect software is comming out for WM, so a WM phone gets all the advantages of BB email if you use a BES server).

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
im a huge pearl 8100 fan. i do VNC control of all my pc's with it, get my laptop online with it, the music player is decent enough to use regularly, and overall its just a stand-out phone. the 8800's are nice too, but the pearl can go in my front jeans pocket and it doesnt bother me. its the perfect sized phone.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I just got done playing with my brother's 8300 with Wifi... it's not out yet, he works at RIM so he gets to play it with first. There's a huge bug atm that drains the battery life like no other. I'm still on the fence with the iphone or go with the 8300. I need a new phone asap, one that can get rid of my cellphone, pda, ipod, all into one device. The problem with so many devices isn't even carrying that many devices, it's keeping them all charge (although carrying them is a pain in the ass).

I like the 8300 because it fits in the pocket very nicely... but also as a holster, it fits very very well. It's not big, but that also means the screen is much smaller. Watching videos on it definitely sucks compared to my PDA. The web works decently actually for something that small, and i wouldn't use it much for the web anyways.

The iPhone on the otherhand... no tactile feedback, absolutely crappy battery life without the ability to swap battery on the go, and no 3rd party software. And it's big. But that also means a better video viewing experirence, although i don't know how often i would really use that function (mostly on the crapper like i do now).

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
8300 Curve. best of the pearl + Excellent media functions, 2MP cam, Stereo Bluetooth profile, spell check and full QWERTY.

Job done. :D

EDIT: Don't forget the 8300 has a 3.5mm headphone jack so you can use your own 'phones.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: zig3695
im a huge pearl 8100 fan. i do VNC control of all my pc's with it, get my laptop online with it, the music player is decent enough to use regularly, and overall its just a stand-out phone. the 8800's are nice too, but the pearl can go in my front jeans pocket and it doesnt bother me. its the perfect sized phone.
What program do you use to do VNC control with it? I could use that. Hopefully it's free.

I absolutely love my pearl, it's the perfect size for a phone. It would be nice if it had video capability however, along with the ability to record audio as well...not to mention GPS, a 3.5mm headphone jack and better media control.

Has anybody played with the curve yet? My dad is getting one soon so i'll have to see if it will be worth getting for myself. I can pick one up for $100, and I'm sure I could sell my pearl for that much. I just don't want a phone that's bigger than the pearl.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
8300 Curve. best of the pearl + Excellent media functions, 2MP cam, Stereo Bluetooth profile, spell check and full QWERTY.

EDIT: Don't forget the 8300 has a 3.5mm headphone jack so you can use your own 'phones.

The jack is on the side of the phone though, which is annoying.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Looney
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero

The jack is on the side of the phone though, which is annoying.

It has to be there to fit holsters, skins et al. Anyway, put it in you pocket edge down and you're good to go. It's the same length as a Pearl.

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
You can actually get Blackberries sans camera, which is more than you can say for most other smartphones these days.

The real problem with the Blackberry is the outrageous fees the carriers charge for using it.

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: erwos
You can actually get Blackberries sans camera, which is more than you can say for most other smartphones these days.

The real problem with the Blackberry is the outrageous fees the carriers charge for using it.

I agree. That's why I use Tmobile only. $20/month. Unlimited...

It is the only way to go for me.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
Originally posted by: Alienwho
Originally posted by: zig3695
What program do you use to do VNC control with it? I could use that. Hopefully it's free.

I absolutely love my pearl, it's the perfect size for a phone. It would be nice if it had video capability however, along with the ability to record audio as well...not to mention GPS, a 3.5mm headphone jack and better media control.

Has anybody played with the curve yet? My dad is getting one soon so i'll have to see if it will be worth getting for myself. I can pick one up for $100, and I'm sure I could sell my pearl for that much. I just don't want a phone that's bigger than the pearl.

shapeservices.com VNC+ . its almost free, just $40 away :(

actually, 30! http://www.shapeservices.com/e...roduct=vnc&platform=bb

its well worth it, you can use your phone like a remote control, the trackball on the pearl is like a wireless trackmouse.