BlackBerry Torch review

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
It's tough to feel really excited about the BlackBerry Torch and OS 6 after heavy testing. We had high hopes coming into this review that the new operating system would be more than a fresh coat of paint on an aging user experience -- that we were going to see substantial changes in the attitude and direction of the company. While there are notable improvements here and much that is laudable, what we're ultimately left with is -- at its core -- more of the same. For all the improvements in the browser, the more upscale fit-and-finish of the UI, and the thoughtful changes in basic functionality, we still feel like this device is a generation behind the market. Instead of meeting the rising stars of the smartphone world (Apple and Google) head-on, RIM has taken something more like baby steps toward innovation. The company seems convinced that it's got a better idea about what its customers want and how a smartphone should act in 2010, but we can't say we agree. The Torch seems sluggish, underpowered, and dated from a hardware design standpoint, and OS 6, despite its new features and polish, still feels woefully behind the curve. To call the Torch the "best BlackBerry ever" wouldn't be an understatement, but unfortunately for RIM and the faithful, their best isn't nearly good enough.

Very sad to hear about this and from other hands on I've read, it's not a good enough device at all.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/04/blackberry-torch-review/

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
We had high hopes...that we were going to see substantial changes in the attitude and direction... While there are notable improvements here and much that is laudable, what we're ultimately left with is -- at its core -- more of the same.

Lol...sounds like a critique of Pres. Obama...

ANYWAY...I just gave up my blackberry, went with Android (Samsung Galaxy S/Vibrant)...

Although BB's push system is formidable...they need more than that one trick to stay current. It would take a major overhaul of BB to compete. Like Apple, BB controls not just the OS, but also the hardware. They would do good to completely overhaul their OS to be more android/IP4 like they would likely regain their market share. I would imagine the Aplle model would probably work better for BB (own the hardware and OS). With android/iOS usability with BB push reliability, BB would no longer be the phone you have just because of work.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Just finished reading the review and the somewhat placid engadget pulled no punches this time around. Watching the comparison when loading the engadget web page was brutal.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Just finished reading the review and the somewhat placid engadget pulled no punches this time around. Watching the comparison when loading the engadget web page was brutal.

Engadget is a great site to test how good a browser is cus there's so much going on.

Jul 10, 2007
RIM still doesn't get it.

at least the browser is at an acceptable level now, whereas before it was a total fail.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
The software is what it is, and I'm sure it's fine for their target market.

I'm just amazed that the hardware is already pre-outdated at release. Definitely hurts the perception that BB has or even can one-up Android or Apple.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

That's the thing, this phone was aimed at the average consumer, NOT at the business person so it's not fine for their target market.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

I'm just amazed that the hardware is already pre-outdated at release. Definitely hurts the perception that BB has or even can one-up Android or Apple.

I know quite a few folks that carry a work BB and their personal smartphone, that says a lot IMHO, damn things are great for keeping up with work crap, but suck as a smartphone...

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
I just discovered POP/SMTP on Gmail...now the main reason for my BB is fulfilled by Android. Setup a separate gmail account for my work email to get pushed to, and now I have my work email pushed instantly to my Samsung Vibrant (even my personal hotmail, too!)...

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
ugh. Hoping to see better. However, I'll reserve judgement until I get to try one out.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Even I'm dissapointed. I've not seen a real device, however, and probably won't for a while either.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I just don't know how they're charging $200 for this. The hardware is already outdated. Honestly I'm not sure why anyone would buy a BB for entertainment, if I had one it would be for work.

The browser test was pretty bad and I can't imagine the browser being worse than that prior to BB OS 6. I was waiting for the editor to navigate the browser, but he never did. Browser navigating on the torch would of looked like a fat kid wading through molasses compared to usain bolt on the iPhone's browser.

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
Yeah, the most important thing in a touchscreen phone is... the screen. The low res is very disappointing.

The outdated CPU is also pretty bad. I still think it'll be a good choice if you need a hardware keyboard and do 95 percent email/5 percent browsing. :D

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
I just don't know how they're charging $200 for this. The hardware is already outdated. Honestly I'm not sure why anyone would buy a BB for entertainment, if I had one it would be for work.

The browser test was pretty bad and I can't imagine the browser being worse than that prior to BB OS 6. I was waiting for the editor to navigate the browser, but he never did. Browser navigating on the torch would of looked like a fat kid wading through molasses compared to usain bolt on the iPhone's browser.

I seriously don't think this thing will be $200 for long. When you have the option of getting MUCH better phones at the same price I can't see it lasting.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I seriously don't think this thing will be $200 for long. When you have the option of getting MUCH better phones at the same price I can't see it lasting.

RIM never seemed to price their phones compared to what other phones cost. A few years ago I had a Pearl, which I wouldn't event consider a real business phone because it had a gimped keyboard. They were going for $199 from T-Mobile a month before I got mine. For $199 I could have gotten a much more powerful phone with a full keyboard. I don't see how RIM thought the phone was worth $199.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
RIM never seemed to price their phones compared to what other phones cost. A few years ago I had a Pearl, which I wouldn't consider a real business phone because it has the gimped keyboard. They were going for $199 from T-Mobile a month before I got mine. For $199 I could have gotten a much more powerful phone with a full keyboard. I don't see how RIM thought the phone was worth $199.

and how much are Pearls now? Free? So are Curves.

BB definitely starts out high but they do adjust after time.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
TL;DR -- If you're forced to use a traditional BB, this is the one to get because it is the only one with a functioning browser. Otherwise run far away.

Nice to see Nokia and LG aren't the only ones with a time machine which lets them design phones for the past.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
This won't stop the BB users that leaving en masse to iPhone/Android. If they were waiting on this, it won't stop them.
It will however satisfy a ton of them that want at least a usable web browser experience. But this isn't a new direction. That's the bottom line. It's not revolutionary at all.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
LOL, wait till DBZ comes out of the closet, you'll be amazed.

DBZ, you have no idea how hard it is to not out you :awe:
cat.jpeg

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Played with it today at an AT&T store. Kind of underwhelmed. Doesn't really seem special compared to any of the other BB lineup. I know this is what reviews have been saying, but seeing it firsthand led me to the same conclusion. Basically a 9700 in a slider form with a touchscreen.

Nizology

Oct 13, 2004
I just discovered POP/SMTP on Gmail...now the main reason for my BB is fulfilled by Android. Setup a separate gmail account for my work email to get pushed to, and now I have my work email pushed instantly to my Samsung Vibrant (even my personal hotmail, too!)...

Ever heard of IMAP? That should be your next step.