blackberry playbook 16g refur for $100....NOW $129

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by cuti7399, Feb 23, 2013.

1. cuti7399

cuti7399 Platinum Member

2. mp3ster

mp3ster Member

Huh... what the heck, in for 1

3. drinkmorejava

drinkmorejava Diamond Member

Just got one on ebay for $50 with a broken USB port. $99 shipped is below the going rate on ebay.

The cameras and usb ports seem to break on these things, but the later isn't a terrible fix.

OP should fix the title to say blackberry playbook

4. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

Warranty = DOA only.

5. compcons

compcons Golden Member

Price for me shows $129. I picked up a pair of 64GB playbooks form Office Depot a few months ago for $199 each, so I am not sure how great a deal $129 is.

These are great hardware paltforms and are good for music, movies and web. 16GB is a bit limiting, but they can run sideloaded Andorid apps and hold a few movies. Kindle Reader is solid but some sideload apps are laggy. Perhaps the BB10 update will fix the Andorid player issues.

The Achilles heel is the market. It is absolutely abysmal and reminds me of the HP Touchpad market. To do almost anything useful, you will be side loading your apps.

EH

6. ibex333

ibex333 Diamond Member

What about rooting and custom ROMS? Anyone know if Cyanogen mod can be installed on this?

7. cuti7399

cuti7399 Platinum Member

they must have changed the price, it was $99
    I hear custom rom run great on these

8. compcons

compcons Golden Member

Nope. BB/RIM locked the boot loader. This is NOT an HP touchpad-type deal where you can throw Andorid on it and rock away witha cheap tablet.

At $99 (and if I didn't own 2 64GB Playbooksalready), I would have gambled on BB making the Android player better. The hardware is great and movies look awesome (I use DVD decryptor and Handbrake for conversion) but I think BB is hoping the new OS will make people flock to their devices again. Their Apps are just horrible though.

Keep your eye out at Office Depot. I think I saw 16 GB playbooks a few months ago at $150. Not too bad considering the refurbs are back at $130.

EH

9. Roland00Address

Roland00Address Golden Member

If anybody wants to root a refurbished device and wants to put android on it, you need to be looking for the nook tablets or nook colors.

Nook Tablet 16gb, has dual core, 1gb of ram, and the bootloader has been circumvented
    Nook Tablet 8gb, has dual core, 512mb of ram, and the bootloader has been circumvented
    Nook Color 8gb, has single core, 512mb of ram, and no bootloader

all three above tablets have cyangonmod ports

Currently Newegg has the 16gb nook tablet for $109. These were as cheap as $79 to $99 over christmas though from various sellers.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834327001

------------------

You get the blackberry if you want better speakers or you want to keep it running blackberry software.
    You get the nook if you want to put android on it.
    You get the nexus if you want a hassle free device which you plan to keep a while. It is $199 but it is worth it.

10. fredlove

fredlove Banned

Thanks. I'll find out.

11. compcons

compcons Golden Member

Buy.com (Rakuten or whatever now) has the 64GB playbook for $189 (3/6). Again, it may not be your cup of tea, but 64GB of movies is a lot of movies, browser is top notch, and some apps work well. Might be worth it at under $200 for some people.

EH