Black Screen

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
Hello,

I've had some issues with my computer with the same result and I cannot figure out what is wrong. Basically my computer would still be on, but the monitor turns black and says going to sleep. Only way to fix this is to force a restart.

Its happened when I had my Radeon GPU and now with my nvidia GPU. It happened with I played Endless Legend, X-Com2 and most recently Starcraft. It didn't happen when I played Mankind Divided or Witcher 3 (if that helps).

My specs:
Windows 10
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
Intel Code i5-4690K 3.5GHz
16 GM Ram
GeForce GTX 970

My drivers are all updated, and I have no idea what would be causing. Maybe a certain setting in the games that isnt working with my GPU?

Anybody have any ideas? I can provide the Event Viewer log as well if needed. Thank you!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Are you using display port or HDMI? What monitor?

My first step would be to try a different monitor cable. If the manufacturer of your monitor has driver software for it, make certain it is installed. And check all of the settings accessed via buttons, joy stick, etc. on the monitor. You can go in the power options for windows and turn off sleep mode. Or disable all of the power saving features to see if the problem persists.

Next would be trying the monitor on another system. If the behavior continues then you know the monitor is faulty. At which point, if it is still under warranty I would contact the manufacturer and start the RMA process.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I would be inclined to also go over the BIOS settings. That motherboard has onboard video so make sure it's off in BIOS. Not sure if that would be the case though. Could even be the damn OS.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What Power Supply are you using? IMXP, most overlooked and underrated component.

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
Are you using display port or HDMI? What monitor?

My first step would be to try a different monitor cable. If the manufacturer of your monitor has driver software for it, make certain it is installed. And check all of the settings accessed via buttons, joy stick, etc. on the monitor. You can go in the power options for windows and turn off sleep mode. Or disable all of the power saving features to see if the problem persists.

Next would be trying the monitor on another system. If the behavior continues then you know the monitor is faulty. At which point, if it is still under warranty I would contact the manufacturer and start the RMA process.

Its connected via HDMI but I got a new monitor after it first happened so doubt thats it. When I have the sound on, I hear a loud sound almost like it freezes and then the screen goes black. Not sure if the sound card could be a cause.

I would be inclined to also go over the BIOS settings. That motherboard has onboard video so make sure it's off in BIOS. Not sure if that would be the case though. Could even be the damn OS.

I'll check and see if that's possible, I'm on Win10 but I had this problem sporadically even on Win7

What Power Supply are you using? IMXP, most overlooked and underrated component.

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Gold. I just got this back in March, previously had the same one for about 8 years

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
So it seems the Vid card is the common denominator? Is the MOBO the same before you upgraded the Vid card?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Not sure if the sound card could be a cause.

You know, now that you mention it. I think certain Vid card drivers have audio properies if I can remember right. If you could use safe mode and get a display signal see if there are any audio properties. It was an Nvidia thing.