Black screen on evga gtx 650

z34type

Oct 5, 2014
I need someone knowledgeable who can answer the issues I'm having with this gpu. I upgraded my nephew's gpu coming from a PNY GTX 460 Enthusiast Edition 1gb GDDR5 to a EVGA GTX 650 2gb GDDR5 last night. I bought it on CL for 80 bucks used.

I installed it the latest drivers from Nvidia this is on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit OS
The gpu only takes in one 6 pin from the PSU. Everything seems to be in working order like streaming videos, playing video files, desktop mode etc but when playing games like Chivalry Medieval Warfare and Crysis it will load up all the intros, menu then on the actual gaming. The game crashes then goes into a black screen. All the 3D Profile is set to default as well.

My PSU has two 6-Pins PCI-E connectors I tried switching them and no luck.
All the info is loading up correctly on GPU-Z,but doing a rendering test on GPU-Z the app also crashes and black screen occurs.

So what do you guys think? Did I get dupe with a bad gpu on Craigslist?
The only game works that works with this gpu is Minecraft lol doesn't crash. His previous GTX 460 work flawlessly till I sold it and got him GTX 650.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Does his board have more than one PCI-Express slot? Try the other if it does. If it doesn't, monitor the GPU temps at idle and when running Minecraft. Also try dusting out the slot and make sure the card itself is clean.

If temps are good, try an older driver supporting 8.1 and see if that makes any difference. If there is something wrong with the card, you should be getting an Nvidia driver crash, not a black screen.

z34type

Oct 5, 2014
Does his board have more than one PCI-Express slot? Try the other if it does. If it doesn't, monitor the GPU temps at idle and when running Minecraft. Also try dusting out the slot and make sure the card itself is clean.

If temps are good, try an older driver supporting 8.1 and see if that makes any difference. If there is something wrong with the card, you should be getting an Nvidia driver crash, not a black screen.

Negative on second pci-e mobo only has one slot.
Pci-e slot is super clean
Ive cleaned the gpu already before installing it.
Temps on idle are 32c and when playing minecraft i get
48-53c fan speed set to 23% using msi afterburner
Will try using previous drivers.

Ive also discovered when pc goes to sleep mode
Using the keyboard,mouse or power button doesnt wake it up.
Its the same black screen that occurs. Only way is to turn it off and on again
Which will obviously boot the pc.

When i first boot crysis up the screen crashed on the EA intro
I had to turn off the pc and on. This time everything went smoothly
With the EA intro, menu but on actual gameplay
It loads everything then 1/2 second game froze then blackscreen.
2nd attemp crysis crashed but this time it says crysis has stopped working.it went back to desktop mode.
3rd attemp another black screen. No desktop mode.
Same case with chivalry medieval warfare without the error has stopped working. Just straight up black screen.

When black screen happens the monitor will say digital then analog
Then the led indicator on the monitor starts to flash.

Sounds like the card could have a power issue
I did notice on the nvidia control panel monitor refresh
Rate is set to 75hz by default. Should i lower it?

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
....Rate is set to 75hz by default. Should i lower it?

Refresh on a typical LCD is 60hz, so I am not sure why you would select higher, as this would cause problems just like what you are seeing.

z34type

Oct 5, 2014
Going from a GTX 460 to a GTX 650 isn't an upgrade:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/681?vs=542
Guess that's water under the bridge since you sold his old card and bought the GTX 650 used.

Like I said its not my pc its my nephew's pc and so its not an upgrade? Shouldn't the gtx 650 2gb gddr5 be better than a 1gb gddr5 gtx 460? I don't get it why it wouldn't be consider an upgrade unless they are somewhat close performance/raio

z34type

Oct 5, 2014
Refresh on a typical LCD is 60hz, so I am not sure why you would select higher, as this would cause problems just like what you are seeing.

I didn't set anything, after installing the nvidia drivers. It was set to 75hz by default. Everytime I set it to 60hz, it will just go back to 75hz.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Like I said its not my pc its my nephew's pc and so its not an upgrade? Shouldn't the gtx 650 2gb gddr5 be better than a 1gb gddr5 gtx 460? I don't get it why it wouldn't be consider an upgrade unless they are somewhat close performance/raio
simply go and look at gtx 650 reviews. a gtx 460 is well over 30% faster than the gtx 650 so its a pretty large downgrade.

z34type

Oct 5, 2014
simply go and look at gtx 650 reviews. a gtx 460 is well over 30% faster than the gtx 650 so its a pretty large downgrade.

Well I didn't know I didn't come here to compare card performances. I came here for help to resolve this issue. I thought the higher GTX models of the card the better doesn't make sense why Nvidia did that.

Looks like I have to throw this POS away.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Well I didn't know I didn't come here to compare card performances. I came here for help to resolve this issue. I thought the higher GTX models of the card the better doesn't make sense why Nvidia did that.

Looks like I have to throw this POS away.

That's Craigslist. You win some you lose some. Question: does the Nvidia software identify your monitor?

z34type

Oct 5, 2014
That's Craigslist. You win some you lose some. Question: does the Nvidia software identify your monitor?

Yeah it detects at Samsung Syncmaster. It just won't let me go down below 75hz. I'm just going to let my nephew borrow my Asus Radeon HD 7850 for the mean time. I have two of them crossfired. Since I am currently waiting for my new cpu. Just going to let him use one of them. If I don't resolve this issue.

I mean the gtx 650 only works on desktop mode, browsing the web streaming and somewhat Minecraft. If i let Minecraft idle it will crash which is super weird. I installed an older nvidia driver from Sept and July 2014 and none of it help.