Black screen lockup

banjodi

Aug 25, 2005
I have a 3-year old Hypersonic-PC laptop, has a P4 3.06Ghz CPU, 1GB RAM, Ati Mobility Radeon 9000, Toshiba 60GB 7200rpm HDD. Aside from the occasional error crash and a one-time overheat it has been a dependable workhorse for me. Just today however it suddenly went to a black screen and the fans in the computer and in the PSU started running full speed. The only thing I could do was force it off and reboot, then everything was ok. Then, just now, the same thing happened again. Both times all I was doing was browsing the web. Any ideas what could be causing this? According to the task manager all the processes look spot-on, the CPU doesn't seem to be overworking, and it doesn't seem to be getting too hot.

birdpup

Banned
May 7, 2005
When the screen goes black, can you still barely see the desktop or open applications if you shine a bright light on the LCD screen? A bright light could be a flashlight or strong overhead light. If you can still barely see the desktop, then I believe your backlight will need replacement. If rebooting does not help, then shutdown the system, disconnect all external connections, even power cable, and then restart.

Your symptoms do not exactly reflect a failing backlight, in which case, I am not sure what else it could be. A guess would be drivers. I would recommend reinstalling all drivers including system, external devices, and display drivers.

Souka

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
Just a thought....

another way to check lockup....abiet not a true test..... once the screen goes black, try pessing the caps-lock or num-lock key....does the little green(?) LED change color? If it doesn't your system is locked up....if it does change it could mean anything.

also....try running a memory test on the system.....microsoft has a free memory tester..google "microsoft memory diagnostic download"

Good luck!

birdpup

Banned
May 7, 2005

banjodi

Aug 25, 2005
Thanks for the responses. I did do a virus/spy/adware scan and it was clean. I've got the memory test disk here and might as well give it a try. The fans seem to be acting funny so I don't know if maybe it is the temps. =/ I installed new drivers last night, and this morning it did the lockup again BUT the video stayed up. So.... we shall see.

Hypersonic support got back to me and suggested blowing out the fans with canned air, I'm out right now but I'll give that a shot too.