Black Ops 2 Thread - 11-13-12

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Eew the PC version? Barf. (I say this as a person with a 3770k and a 7970)

lol @ playing an FPS on a Console =P SLI Nvidia Surround on 3x 22 inch mons FTW.. not to mention super high dpi Razer gaming mice ;)

consoles are great for some games but man.. cannot stand shooters on the console.. auto aim and all that crap and the awful inaccurate controllers.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
lol @ playing an FPS on a Console =P SLI Nvidia Surround on 3x 22 inch mons FTW.. not to mention super high dpi Razer gaming mice ;)

consoles are great for some games but man.. cannot stand shooters on the console.. auto aim and all that crap and the awful inaccurate controllers.

yeah but all of my friends play FPS on consoles now.. ever since CS:S.. LOL

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Had to drive to get my copy from work. Forgot I didn't have cash for turn pike cuz I usually don't take that way. Guy at toll booth gave me some receipt that I need to mail payment in so I was cool. Ten min down the road I realize the guy didn't hand my license back. Finally went back runing through each booth ...this effin game better be good. On my way home now

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
can't decide whether to get this. i didn't like the pace of Black Ops. It felt cheap. I liked MW2 and MW3.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

I'd rather play with friends than by myself on a PC even though I prefer PC.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
can't decide whether to get this. i didn't like the pace of Black Ops. It felt cheap. I liked MW2 and MW3.
The pace of BO2 is much more like MW3, except for the most part with less camping due to the fact that many people don't have Ghost yet.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
been playing it since 6:00 pm yesterday and i like it did please but i hate the new 2025 Nuketown map it just doesn't feel right.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Outside of the colors, I love the game. It feels weird, being so colorful, but I can get over that. I was VERY surprised to see a multi team playlist. That is fucking awesome. 3v3v3 is a lot of fun.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
My impressions are a little meh so far, I think mainly because I ended up playing against try-hards and teams a lot of the time.

I'm not a big fan of the lack of Sleight of Hand speed reloads. This is a fast paced game and slow reloads are a pain.

I do like "fast hands" and finally being able to stun & semtex people again - I missed that in MW3 due to the weak explosives. Really looking forward to unlocking Scavenger.

So far Hardpoint is my favorite game mode. Dom is not even worth trying right now without a team, IMO. At least during the peak hours, the other team is a party and they have the head glitches & spawn traps DOWN.

Ghost will also be key once everyone unlocks it. Playing now is like back in COD4 regarding the radar, everyone shows up.

And maybe I was just in bad gun fights for a while, but the silencer on the MP7 seemed to kill it's power. The guns also have more recoil than I expected. I had no trouble picking people off from a long distance in MW3, but it's a damn challenge in this game.

Do you lose your unlocked items when you prestige? I thought I recalled some talk that that wouldn't happen.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah it's very different. I connected up with 3 buddies from work and we played together. It's definitely different that's for sure. I'm not sure what the deal is with the second assault gun you unlock. It has a silencer on it but you cant kill anything without spraying a whole magazine.

I also feel the perks are a little undertone. I havent even unlocked many of them yet. I'm only level 5 because I got maybe 1 hour to play and get used to it.

The levels are hard to get used to, not sure if it's the futuristic theme or just that there is more going on in terms of environment. One thing I hate is that small stick you walk by and get fried automatically. It's a nice tactical but it can be annoying.

We Also played zombies together which was tough even with four of us. Ammo and guns are a lot harder to find. The first level your riding a bus and get off at each stop. Sometimes it leaves if you take forever scrounging the area. Once it does your screwed until you get to the next wave. That was also pretty fun. Wish I had more time to play.

Can anyone post a very useful beginners class they are using? With the whole system being somewhat new I'm having a lot of trouble finding a stable class to level up.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
@sze: I played HC TDM with my clan last night.

My load out was pretty simple, but I'm on level 17, so I haven't unlocked a lot of the good stuff. Type 25 with quick draw and stock, no secondary, Perk 1 Ghost and Blind Eye (as perk greed), Perk 2 Cold Blooded, Perk 3 Dexterity, but I will probably switch to awareness once it is unlocked. (or perk greed it). Semtex, and no tacticals.

I love how quick it is, but I'm amazed at how quick some people already are. We have a really solid group of guys, and I'm pretty good at one on one when encountering a hostile, but some guys were beating me to the draw so quickly last night. I wonder if it's mostly due to lag.

I LOVE the maps and the interactive detail that TreArch pays to them! The guns are great thus far. Some of the maps have really easy spawns to control. Which is great for us.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Yeah it's very different. I connected up with 3 buddies from work and we played together. It's definitely different that's for sure. I'm not sure what the deal is with the second assault gun you unlock. It has a silencer on it but you cant kill anything without spraying a whole magazine.

I also feel the perks are a little undertone. I havent even unlocked many of them yet. I'm only level 5 because I got maybe 1 hour to play and get used to it.

The levels are hard to get used to, not sure if it's the futuristic theme or just that there is more going on in terms of environment. One thing I hate is that small stick you walk by and get fried automatically. It's a nice tactical but it can be annoying.

We Also played zombies together which was tough even with four of us. Ammo and guns are a lot harder to find. The first level your riding a bus and get off at each stop. Sometimes it leaves if you take forever scrounging the area. Once it does your screwed until you get to the next wave. That was also pretty fun. Wish I had more time to play.

Can anyone post a very useful beginners class they are using? With the whole system being somewhat new I'm having a lot of trouble finding a stable class to level up.

This is off the top of my head, but I mainly used the MP7 in the early levels. Once I leveled it up a bit, I attached Grip and Long Barrel. No sight is really needed for this with a lot of the maps being so close quartered, most people are hip firing and relying on aim assist. Perks...let's see I did Blind Eye and Hardline (with Perk 1 Greed), Cold Blooded, and Extreme Conditioning. I haven't played around much with the Killstreaks, but I like equipping ones that are easy to get so I can bring a few in every game and help the team out. Currently I have UAV, Hunter Killer Drone, and a Care Package. The Hunter Killer always gets a kill coupled with the fact that my UAV is getting assist points, the Care Package is nearly automatic given the point-based system.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Didnt play for too much last night but had a good time. I did however rage quit on our last match. I swear spawn points got leaked because they had us spawn trap like crazy.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
This is off the top of my head, but I mainly used the MP7 in the early levels. Once I leveled it up a bit, I attached Grip and Long Barrel. No sight is really needed for this with a lot of the maps being so close quartered, most people are hip firing and relying on aim assist. Perks...let's see I did Blind Eye and Hardline (with Perk 1 Greed), Cold Blooded, and Extreme Conditioning. I haven't played around much with the Killstreaks, but I like equipping ones that are easy to get so I can bring a few in every game and help the team out. Currently I have UAV, Hunter Killer Drone, and a Care Package. The Hunter Killer always gets a kill coupled with the fact that my UAV is getting assist points, the Care Package is nearly automatic given the point-based system.
Thanks for this post. I'm just starting off and am not very good at console shooters so this should help out a bit.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
@sze: I played HC TDM with my clan last night.

My load out was pretty simple, but I'm on level 17, so I haven't unlocked a lot of the good stuff. Type 25 with quick draw and stock, no secondary, Perk 1 Ghost and Blind Eye (as perk greed), Perk 2 Cold Blooded, Perk 3 Dexterity, but I will probably switch to awareness once it is unlocked. (or perk greed it). Semtex, and no tacticals.

I love how quick it is, but I'm amazed at how quick some people already are. We have a really solid group of guys, and I'm pretty good at one on one when encountering a hostile, but some guys were beating me to the draw so quickly last night. I wonder if it's mostly due to lag.

I LOVE the maps and the interactive detail that TreArch pays to them! The guns are great thus far. Some of the maps have really easy spawns to control. Which is great for us.
how do you have ghost already?

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
how do you have ghost already?

You're right, I plan to use ghost. I believe that I used hardline for part of the night, but went back to unloading the perk greed to use another attachment. and secondary.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Didnt play for too much last night but had a good time. I did however rage quit on our last match. I swear spawn points got leaked because they had us spawn trap like crazy.

I agree. The spawns on most of the maps are the worst part about this game. After getting killed from enemies behind me so many times, (and I play more of a slayer-style game than sniper/camper) I started running up, killing an enemy, then doing a 180 degree turn back to where I came from and the guy would be right there for me to kill again - and he would have spawned pretty close to some of my teammates. Really annoying. Another scenario I was running into last night on a few of the maps, is I'd spawn, then less than 5 seconds later, two or three enemies would be right on top of me. I'm not the best player, but for comparison sake, I have almost 40,000 TDM kills in MW3 and my K/D ratio is nearly 2, but I'm barely managing 1 in this game. A close friend of mine who I played a ton of MW3 with had a K/D ratio of close to 3, and his BLOPS II ratio is only half of that with over 10 hours of play through last night - and it only just started improving more as he unlocked the MSMC and a bunch of attachments for it.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I agree. The spawns on most of the maps are the worst part about this game. After getting killed from enemies behind me so many times, (and I play more of a slayer-style game than sniper/camper) I started running up, killing an enemy, then doing a 180 degree turn back to where I came from and the guy would be right there for me to kill again - and he would have spawned pretty close to some of my teammates. Really annoying. Another scenario I was running into last night on a few of the maps, is I'd spawn, then less than 5 seconds later, two or three enemies would be right on top of me. I'm not the best player, but for comparison sake, I have almost 40,000 TDM kills in MW3 and my K/D ratio is nearly 2, but I'm barely managing 1 in this game. A close friend of mine who I played a ton of MW3 with had a K/D ratio of close to 3, and his BLOPS II ratio is only half of that with over 10 hours of play through last night - and it only just started improving more as he unlocked the MSMC and a bunch of attachments for it.

Yes, this. I am a little worried about the spawns. Everything else about this game seems fine to me. Great, in fact. But spawns may be an issue due to the map design. I played for a few hours last night. Some CTF, some Kill Confirmed, some Multi-Team etc... My K/D was solid at 1.5 (about what I managed on MW3) but I was aggravated quite a few times with my spawn points. Due to the fact that the map designs map it difficult for you to guard you back end and the fact that the maps are fairly small, the enemy is going to HAVE to spawn behind you at times. Since there aren't clear cut paths in and out of an area, it will be very easy for an enemy to get right behind you from where they spawned.

I don't mind an enemy flanking me. That is part of the game. What I mind is when I am flanked by an enemy after I JUST cleared that area. I'm not really to sure what they can do to combat this though. I guess that's just the downside of having these types of maps?