Black National Anthem? WTH?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
... and that kind of crap is the only thing that might end up costing Obama the presidency. Idiots like that are reinforcing every negative stereotype that many Americans have about minorities.

QFT.
Stupid people should have cut the mic.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: sandorski
After reading the lyrics, I don't see why people should be upset. I recall, especially in Philly, many times America the Beautiful being sung instead of the National Anthem. Certainly it too has an Official tag(National Hymn), but there's nothing wrong with the song she sang other than the "Official" tag.

She didn't sing the song that she was SUPPOSED to sing.
She didn't inform the people involved that she was going to sing a different song.

I don't care good the songs lyrics are. The fact is, she didn't sing what she was hired to sing.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Hmmmm ..... Black National Anthem, first time I have ever heard of it. Why do you suppose that is?
In my mind there is only one National Anthem and one America. I think President Roosevelt said it best:

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

In my opinion the above says it all.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Skitzer
Hmmmm ..... Black National Anthem, first time I have ever heard of it. Why do you suppose that is?
In my mind there is only one National Anthem and one America. I think President Roosevelt said it best:

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

:thumbsup:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005

:thumbsup: ^2

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Lothar
After reading the lyrics, I don't see why people should be upset. I recall, especially in Philly, many times America the Beautiful being sung instead of the National Anthem. Certainly it too has an Official tag(National Hymn), but there's nothing wrong with the song she sang other than the "Official" tag.

She didn't inform the people involved that she was going to sing a different song.

I don't care good the songs lyrics are. The fact is, she didn't sing what she was hired to sing.

Yup.

Personally, I'm not big on demanded patriotism. Saluting flags, singing anthems, hand over the heart crap is just a bunch of silly rituals that don't really have any bearing on my love for the place I live. Still, this was an official function and she took it upon herself to do whatever the hell she wanted. Definitely poor taste and more harmful to her cause than helpful. You want to sing your own song, do it on your own time.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Wrong venue, wrong time, wrong place, wrong song, wrong message.

Dems really don't want to win do we?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Excellent :thumbsup:

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001

She can be summed up in two words, attention whore.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Obama already hates the national anthem, maybe he'll like the black national anthem better.

I don't put my hand over my heart during the natl anthem either. When I (now never) pledge the flag I cover my heart b/c that's what I was taught when I was a robotic child. Look around at a ball game next time they sing the anthem. People stand and take off their caps, almost none cover their heart.

Oh, and troll. :)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: jonks
Obama already hates the national anthem, maybe he'll like the black national anthem better.

I don't put my hand over my heart during the natl anthem either. When I (now never) pledge the flag I cover my heart b/c that's what I was taught when I was a robotic child. Look around at a ball game next time they sing the anthem. People stand and take off their caps, almost none cover their heart.

Oh, and troll. :)

Same here. I must hate the National Anthem and what it stands for. :roll:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
If you were running for political office, and the other contenders all had their hand over their heart, you'd have to hate your country an awful lot not to be willing to do the same.

Not doing it when watching a ball game, and not doing it when you're running for president is a huge difference.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I suppose that's reasonable. I just think that once people sit back and think about it for a moment, especially if the "Black National Anthem" claim is true, they'll likely view the situation differently in time.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
She said she didn't want to sing the Star Spangled Banner because "it doesn't represent me."

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
If you were running for political office, and the other contenders all had their hand over their heart, you'd have to hate your country an awful lot not to be willing to do the same.

Not doing it when watching a ball game, and not doing it when you're running for president is a huge difference.
To try again, doing so with your hands respectfully at your side is taught as the PROPER way to do so in many parts of the country. You must really hate those parts of the country to disrespect them in this way.:roll:

Quite simply either way is completely equally valid and respectful, and you could just as easily mock the other candidates for "doing it wrong" if you come from one of the areas of the country where you leave your hands at your side.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

not really that much of a difference actually...only you are conditioned to think it is so.

as for the OP that was really a dumb move on her part and had she been upfront and truthful about her intentions then I would have a different opinion.

But since she was sneaky about it then she knew in her heart it was inappropriate.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

What kind of idiocy is needed to think that a person 'hates America' over this? The lack of basic common sense is such that the person saying it should be greatly shamed.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Drift3r
... and that kind of crap is the only thing that might end up costing Obama the presidency. Idiots like that are reinforcing every negative stereotype that many Americans have about minorities.

So what did Roseanne Bar's singing of the national anthem reinforce? Somehow I don't think you consider anyone who isn't white as American with that stupid ass statement.

Reading comprehension for the loss. Back to school with you! :p
What I'm saying is that people generally fear anything different looking or acting. Obama is doing a good job showing white Americans that just because his skin is a different color does not mean he's different than them, that skin color doesn't (shouldn't) matter. He has to do that if he's going to win the election.

Every time someone does something to undermine the premise that skin color does not matter, it hurts Obama's chances in November. I know it's not PC, I know it's not his fault (in this case, Wright is another matter), but it still hurts him.

Oh, and how the heck did you leap to the conclusion that I don't consider someone who isn't white as American? :confused:

Go back and reread your sentence.

Why do white people always need reinforcing or validation about non-whites in this country being American?

[..and that kind of crap is the only thing that might end up costing Obama the presidency. Idiots like that are reinforcing every negative stereotype that many Americans have about minorities.[/b]

Minorities are not Americans?

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
For crying out loud. People crying about a person's creative moment. One should be jailed for such thoughts.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

So what did Roseanne Bar's singing of the national anthem reinforce? Somehow I don't think you consider anyone who isn't white as American with that stupid ass statement.

Reading comprehension for the loss. Back to school with you! :p
What I'm saying is that people generally fear anything different looking or acting. Obama is doing a good job showing white Americans that just because his skin is a different color does not mean he's different than them, that skin color doesn't (shouldn't) matter. He has to do that if he's going to win the election.

Every time someone does something to undermine the premise that skin color does not matter, it hurts Obama's chances in November. I know it's not PC, I know it's not his fault (in this case, Wright is another matter), but it still hurts him.

Oh, and how the heck did you leap to the conclusion that I don't consider someone who isn't white as American? :confused:

Go back and reread your sentence.

Why do white people always need reinforcing or validation about non-whites in this country being American?

Who said that? I said white americans -- like any group -- need to feel comfortable that someone that looks different than them still has the same values they do before they vote for them. If 60% of the population was black, I'd say the same thing about McCain, that he would need to make black americans comfortable that he held their views.

[..and that kind of crap is the only thing that might end up costing Obama the presidency. Idiots like that are reinforcing every negative stereotype that many Americans have about minorities.[/b]

Minorities are not Americans?

Again.. :confused: Which part of the full sentence is not correct? Many Americans have negative stereotypes about people of different ethnic backgrounds, whether American or not. At no point was there a statement or inference that minorities in America were somehow not Americans. (what the heck else would they be??)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: MadRat
For crying out loud. People crying about a person's creative moment. One should be jailed for such thoughts.

Yeah, and if anyone thinks that this was done just for creative thought they should be jailed for being complete idiots.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi
Originally posted by: MadRat

Yeah, and if anyone thinks that this was done just for creative thought they should be jailed for being complete idiots.
If being an idiot was a crime that last post of yours would be your third strike.