Black motorist pulled over for a traffic stop beaten to death by 5 Memphis police officers

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is Tyre Nichols before the traffic stop. He was 29 years old. He worked for Fed-Ex.
TN suit.jpg

Here is Tyre after the traffic stop. He died within days upon arrival to the hospital.
TN hospital.jpg

I listened to an interview today with his mother RowVaughn Wells. Currently the allegation is Tyre was pulled over for reckless driving. We don't have evidence to corroborate. His mother recalls the day police came to her door. She was told her son was stopped for a DUI and was tasered. She was also told her son was in the hospital but would not tell her which one and that she was not allowed to visit her son because he was under arrest. MPD's initial conversation with Tyre's mother started out with a lie.

RowVaughn got a call from the hospital wondering why she was not there with her son. When his mother arrived the picture above is what she found. Tyre was dead within days.

Cops were fired, charged and the body cam footage will be released this weekend. Ironically it took a seemingly honest new police chief and the 5 cops being black (IMO) for justice to be rendered swiftly and transparently (<1 month). My prediction they will be found guilty.

I'm hoping the expected protests are peaceful after the bodycam footage is released.

5 ex-Memphis police officers are charged with murder in Tyre Nichols' death (nbcnews.com)

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I'm seriously worried about how bad this footage is going to be. Like, it usually takes some pressure and external outrage before these departments fire and before these scumbags get charged. What's in there to make them move so fast has to really damning. If so, can't imagine the reaction will be an issue. And probably deserved to be honest.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm seriously worried about how bad this footage is going to be. Like, it usually takes some pressure and external outrage before these departments fire and before these scumbags get charged. What's in there to make them move so fast has to really damning. If so, can't imagine the reaction will be an issue. And probably deserved to be honest.
Same here, people who I wouldn’t expect who have seen it have commented how brutal it is.

• Wow
Reactions: Pens1566

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
At least those poor LEO’s can file a ptsd claim and collect their pensions for life anyways

Reactions: dank69

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
From the Guardian:
The chief of the Memphis police [CJ Davis] warned on Friday morning that the video of officers beating Tyre Nichols is “perhaps worse” than the infamous footage of Rodney King being attacked by police in Los Angeles more than 30 years ago.

Davis said there appeared to be no legitimate reason for the traffic stop, and that she did not see any of the five officers intervene to stop excessive force by their fellow officers, saying they appeared to be in a state of “groupthink” as they confronted Nichols and became violent.

Davis called for federal action to reform policing in the US, saying that the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act “should be part of this”

Also on Friday morning, RowVaughn Wells, Tyre Nichols’s mother, told CNN she “feels really sorry” for the five Black police officers, whom she said beat her son “to a pulp”.

“They have brought shame to their own families. They brought shame to the Black community. I just feel sorry for them. I really do,” she said.

“Because they didn’t have to do this. Once you see this video, and I know I didn’t see it, but from what I hear, it’s horrific. And the humanity of it. Where was the humanity? They beat my son like a piñata.”

Davis said the fact the officers are Black “takes off the table that issues and problems in law enforcement [are] about race”.

“It is not,” she said. “It’s about human dignity, integrity, accountability, and the duty to protect our community. As this video will show, it doesn’t matter who’s wearing the uniform, we all have the same responsibility. It takes race off the table, but it does indicate to me that bias might be a factor also in the manner in which we engage the community.”

My hope is that because the officers are black, the people stonewalling this legislation will be a bit less defensive.

This is what systemic racism looks like. It doesn’t matter if the cops are white or black—but if the detainee is black, outcomes like these seem far more common. The structure of policing in this country was born from racism, treating people like chattel, and the laws are structured to protect and defend police, not the rest of us.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
From the Guardian:
The chief of the Memphis police [CJ Davis] warned on Friday morning that the video of officers beating Tyre Nichols is “perhaps worse” than the infamous footage of Rodney King being attacked by police in Los Angeles more than 30 years ago.

Davis said there appeared to be no legitimate reason for the traffic stop, and that she did not see any of the five officers intervene to stop excessive force by their fellow officers, saying they appeared to be in a state of “groupthink” as they confronted Nichols and became violent.

Davis called for federal action to reform policing in the US, saying that the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act “should be part of this”

Also on Friday morning, RowVaughn Wells, Tyre Nichols’s mother, told CNN she “feels really sorry” for the five Black police officers, whom she said beat her son “to a pulp”.

“They have brought shame to their own families. They brought shame to the Black community. I just feel sorry for them. I really do,” she said.

“Because they didn’t have to do this. Once you see this video, and I know I didn’t see it, but from what I hear, it’s horrific. And the humanity of it. Where was the humanity? They beat my son like a piñata.”

Davis said the fact the officers are Black “takes off the table that issues and problems in law enforcement [are] about race”.

“It is not,” she said. “It’s about human dignity, integrity, accountability, and the duty to protect our community. As this video will show, it doesn’t matter who’s wearing the uniform, we all have the same responsibility. It takes race off the table, but it does indicate to me that bias might be a factor also in the manner in which we engage the community.”

My hope is that because the officers are black, the people stonewalling this legislation will be a bit less defensive.

This is what systemic racism looks like. It doesn’t matter if the cops are white or black—but if the detainee is black, outcomes like these seem far more common. The structure of policing in this country was born from racism, treating people like chattel, and the laws are structured to protect and defend police, not the rest of us.
That is what it means. Processing abuse by police going forward should be this swift and transparent.

As a side note can you imagine the position of black people if body cams weren't invented and required. My guess only 10% of police abuse cases that are already prosecutions would happen.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
That is what it means. Processing abuse by police going forward should be this swift and transparent.

As a side note can you imagine the position of black people if body cams weren't invented and required. My guess only 10% of police abuse cases would be prosecuted.

And yet…and yet…unlikely the officers beating Rodney King, all 5 officers were FULLY AWARE at their actions were being recorded and that DID NOTHING TO STOP THEM.

Why?? Because they were just doing the job as it was taught to them.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
News on network TV the last few days indicates the video (relaying reactions of people who have seen it) is horrendous. 3 minute beating after pepper spray from which he ran. Subsequent attention from medical personnel on the scene lacking, evidently. Said the video would be released today and that broad very negative reaction is likely.

Agreed, the swiftness of actions against the 5 cops and declared intention to indict all 5 for murder has much to do with them being black. If they were not, in particular if they were white, things would not be going down like this.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
News on network TV the last few days indicates the video (relaying reactions of people who have seen it) is horrendous. 3 minute beating after pepper spray from which he ran. Subsequent attention from medical personnel on the scene lacking, evidently. Said the video would be released today and that broad very negative reaction is likely.

Agreed, the swiftness of actions against the 5 cops and declared intention to indict all 5 for murder has much to do with them being black. If they were not, in particular if they were white, things would not be going down like this.
Check your PM's man :D

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
And yet…and yet…unlikely the officers beating Rodney King, all 5 officers were FULLY AWARE at their actions were being recorded and that DID NOTHING TO STOP THEM.

Why?? Because they were just doing the job as it was taught to them.
I think Qualified Immunity plays a big part. Until police are held to a higher standard, nothing will change.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I think Qualified Immunity plays a big part. Until police are held to a higher standard, nothing will change.

Qualified immunity is no benefit to the actual police officers since they are shielded from civil liability already. They don't pay for their own defense or pay out any judgment. That is all born by the taxpayers.

And it is a qualified form of immunity, not an absolute form. Many large settlements have been paid out, including $4 million by the City of Cleveland to the family of Tamir Rice.

If this video is as horrific as rumored, I guarenty there will be a large settlement here.

Reactions: KMFJD

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Qualified immunity is no benefit to the actual police officers since they are shielded from civil liability already. They don't pay for their own defense or pay out any judgment. That is all born by the taxpayers.

And it is a qualified form of immunity, not an absolute form. Many large settlements have been paid out, including $4 million by the City of Cleveland to the family of Tamir Rice.

If this video is as horrific as rumored, I guarenty there will be a large settlement here.
Whenever I hear righties say, "just comply and nothing will happen". I remind them of Tamir Rice.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Much as I don't want to watch this EVERYONE NEEDS to see this. Black people still to date have been unable to get their point across why we need nationwide police reform. Of course you know who gets in the way.

I hope the families go on the air with a plea of peaceful protests only. From everything I've seen the police chief has done all she can.

Last edited:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I would imagine Fox "news" is telling tales of white women being beaten and killed by black men and saying whataboutallthat. How horrible a thing to happen to the guy, and you know damn well any bystander would be in serious trouble if they tried to save his life. Good cops out there should be doing everything in their power to quash shit like this, but it's probably 3 against thousands.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I would imagine Fox "news" is telling tales of white women being beaten and killed by black men and saying whataboutallthat. How horrible a thing to happen to the guy, and you know damn well any bystander would be in serious trouble if they tried to save his life. Good cops out there should be doing everything in their power to quash shit like this, but it's probably 3 against thousands.

Good cops have nothing on “groupthink”—I’m sure there was a good cop on the detail that detained George Floyd too—but they never spoke up or challenged chain of command.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Are the EMT’s involved with this case being investigated also?

Get the 5 fired cops mother’s together for a beating session on THEIR sons!!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Can't wait for the usual comments that freedom requires absolute compliance with any govt agent's orders or else face immediate extrajudicial execution. Because the Constitution or something like that.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Good cops have nothing on “groupthink”—I’m sure there was a good cop on the detail that detained George Floyd too—but they never spoke up or challenged chain of command.
The guy who killed George Floyd was a veteran. One was about 3 days on the job IIRC. I don't think the other one was anything like a veteran.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Are the EMT’s involved with this case being investigated also?

From the article...

Two members of the department were placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation,” according to Qwanesha Ward, the fire department's public information officer.

Speaking to CNN’s Don Lemon earlier today, Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn “CJ” Davis said paramedics who were at the scene at some point during the traffic stop “failed to render proper care,” based on her assessment.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Whenever I hear righties say, "just comply and nothing will happen". I remind them of Tamir Rice.

Tamir Rice?
Not sure raising a gun to cops is related to "just comply". Why are you making a connection to something that is, by any account, the exact opposite?

• Wow
Reactions: iRONic

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What beating.