Black Man Wears ‘Caucasians’ T-Shirt To Gauge Hypocrisy About Racist Logos

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No.

I'm only saying that I do not care.

If I acted like those that are offended by this stupidity were justified then I would be pretending.

Some are too dense to understand that I guess.

Nobody asked you to pretend. Nobody asked you to discount others ability to show empathy either, you chose that on your own.

It's telling you didn't state the difference, but I'll refrain from jumping to conclusions about your mental ability.

Personally, I think names such as the "redskins" should be changed, I agree overall with Homer when I say let the affected parties chime in.

I get more worked up about calling native Americans "Indians" , and how that misnomer has survived hundreds of years speaks direct to our careless indifference, and will full ignorance.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Hah, can't follow along anymore? You tried to conflate pretending and empathy, my point being your attempt to do that is asinine.

Also, see my ninja edit

I follow along just fine and I'm not conflating anything. The only thing that I said was that If you do not care about a subject, ( such as this one ) but you fake empathy for those that do then you are pretending.

You however are trying to extend what I said into something it never was. So I am through with you on this subject, you obviously do not have the ability to understand plain English.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I follow along just fine and I'm not conflating anything. The only thing that I said was that If you do not care about a subject, ( such as this one ) but you fake empathy for those that do then you are pretending.

You however are trying to extend what I said into something it never was. So I am through with you on this subject, you obviously do not have the ability to understand plain English.

Bullshit. "If you're pretending, then it's pretend", what a childish mind you must have. I read your back and forth with welshbloke, which prompted a reply.

Mar 11, 2004
Aint nobody talkin shit about being a murdering rampaging wench-stealing blonde god.

I don't think its Thor, but its actually perfectly apt in that the Viking is an over the top caricature depicting a simplified view of Norse people, just like Chief Wahoo is.

The funny thing about your argument (acting like, well people are sympathetic because of what happened to the indians, but the viking were bloodthirsty badasses that wouldn't take shit from anyone) is that the vikings got their asses handed to them by the tribes that inhabited North America at the time. Not that it should be shocking as they were massively outnumbered and going up against people that had established themselves quite well.

I understand perfectly.

As usual your posts show the truth. "I don't get why other people are bothered by this, its a 2 out of 10 on my scale." "Nah, I perfectly understand." You pretty obviously don't. Plus, for someone who supposedly doesn't care about it and thinks other people are making too much of a fuss about it, you sure post a fuckton in threads about this stuff. Its almost like...you're full of shit.

Let Native Americans decide. No one knows except the effect group.

Years ago I shared an office with an older Chinese guy. I asked him about the word *************** which to me sounded highly offensive. He said it wasn't but the word chinaman was very offensive which to me sounded benign

Decide what? I mean, you do realize they already do have to constantly decide if they find it offensive enough to expend effort to do something about it. And I hope you realize that's also exactly one of the things that neo-Nazis and the like specifically want. They want an abundance of hateful shit out there, as they know having to deal with it takes effort and time, so it hurts those people both ways. Either they do nothing and accept it (and it gets normalized and accepted), or they have to expend the energy to deal with it (and this often leads to fucking white people going "ugh, I hate when they pull the race card" or other shit where they use them being pissed off about being constantly antagonized with "small" stuff like this as a reason to denigrate them further and act like they're just psychotic and can't "take a joke").

Absolutely, they don't have to be bothered by it (nothing wrong with that), and they can even enjoy it at times (its not unheard of for groups to enjoy comedic exaggerations of things they can see and recognize as being silly in themselves). But you don't have to be someone directly targeted by such to go "hmm, not a big fan of it, seems kinda shitty actually". Even though I think white people deserve a shitload of it, and are ripe for poking fun at, I don't often find that type of stuff terribly funny either. The key difference is I haven't had centuries of worse shit thrown my way (specifically over my race/etc) and then told that I need to "lighten up" about having "jokes" told that are still very much about perpetuating the shit that the more blatant overt bigotry was about. I too can understand that I can't be a voice for those people and realize that I cannot fully understand it because I haven't ever had to deal with that, but I can try to be empathetic and try to stop some of the ignorance that surrounds so much of this stuff.

That's because of the differences in experiences. Chances are you grew up where the one was more popular. In my experience that was mostly as a shock comedic thing, I've literally never seen someone in person use that slur without it not being part of some attempt at comedy. I'm not saying it doesn't exist as such, that I haven't is more that I didn't grow up in an area with a large Chinese/Asian population so there just wan't that general situation for it to even arise. Frankly after seeing how people reveal themselves on Facebook, I've come to see that it was simply because of how overwhelmingly white/Christian the area I grew up in was, that I just didn't get the opportunity to see people's overt racism because there just weren't enough situations for it to show up in normal life due to them not having to interact with those groups.

Meanwhile the older Chinese man probably had to deal with people who denigrated him using the other one. Or people who tried to act like they weren't denigrating him by using it instead of the other (where their derision is more open, and thus you can more easily dismiss them for the ignorant bigots they are) or perhaps it had changed where it was the same derision but they couched it specifically to try and claim they weren't being as openly denigrating. There's a similar situation with how people started using Native American instead of Indian. This stuff gets complicated very quickly (and centuries of baggage from past harms and other things often come into play), and of course intent matters. So while I don't think the Washington Redskins organization is trying to denigrate them, I also can see they certainly are not fucking celebrating them or other nonsense arguments that often get trotted out as a defense for it.

Likewise, I can see people just thinking they're innocently telling a joke, but I don't have to find it funny and can also express my disdain for it. That doesn't mean I don't laugh at shock jokes or situations. Hell, I grew up being fans of 3 sports teams basically because of their use of Indian heritage (the Chiefs, Braves, and Seminoles), and used to love doing the "tomahawk chop". Now I just see it as really weird and fucked up (but I feel that way about most sports fandom, and large crowd things - like "the wave"). Thing is, I can change opinion and go, no, its pretty fucked up. Your "heritage" recent history of a team name doesn't get to trounce the centuries of heritage of mistreatment (which is putting it lightly) against these groups so that argument is fucking dumb as shit.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Bullshit. "If you're pretending, then it's pretend", what a childish mind you must have. I read your back and forth with welshbloke, which prompted a reply.

I had to say it that way as you couldn't understand or pretended not to.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I didnt make an argument.
I made a statement.

I understand you not knowing the difference. You arent very smart.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Beta, LOL, like you know anything about Alpha or beta.

Maybe not pretending, just full of shit.

Projecting again, so beta. Your game is pathetic. Still trying to post the what empathy and pretending are too. Pack it up old timer, you've digressed to forgetting why youre here.