Black man shoots taser at white police officer. Officer then shoots and kills man. Officer gets fired

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Excuse me? If you don't like Georgia law then move there and do something to change it. I was pointed out he laws and relevant facts there. I even stated several times I thought it was wrong what the McMichaels did and that I believed it was racially motivated. Travis's alleged statements after the shooting, if true, confirm what I was suspecting there as well. The Arbery case has an uphill battle because of the laws to get him. Unfortunately, even the crappy cop who killed George Floyd has a solid defense with the mental health clause in the police policy and laws. That one should be in prison for good riddance. I also don't think Garrett Rolfe should be an officer with the amount of complaints he has had against him in 7 years. He is a douche bag cop and deserves to at least be fired for previous actions. All that said, I don't let my heart rest on my sleeve in cases like this. I try to be objective and look at the facts of the case as best as I can as they come out without rushing to judgement. This was why I was right on the Zimmerman case, the Michael Brown case, and even the Michael Dunn case where I said his ass was guilty and would end up in prison long before the verdict was reached. And based on the facts of the case as I saw them and determined, I was right in every instance. It is going to take some extreme further evidence to convict Garrett Rolfe and Derik Chauvin in their respective cases. The later being unfortunate too since he should end up in prison for that barbaric crap.
I already do, and I already am.

You keep defending white people murdering black people on video. It's amazing work.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
WTF you talking about. Georgia can name anything they want a deadly weapon. That is how state laws work. They can ban toasters if they wanted to. Under Georgia law, tasers are defined as deadly weapons. Period. End of discussion. Full stop. They aren't defined as less than deadly, or non lethal, or improvised deadly or whatever. They are listed as deadly weapons and the Georgia Supreme court has upheld that law a few times with one as recent as 2019. Just because Georgia defines them as deadly weapons doesn't mean other states do. Each state can make up their own determination of what to classify tasers as.
I'll say it again, if tasers are deadly weapons they wouldn't need them, just pull out your classic gun.

I hate the to break it to you common sense does come into play when questioning laws. Laws are laws until they are not. One way is to challenge their validity in court. At one time the law said I couldn't drink out of certain water fountains. That was challenged in court and guess what?

Nov 8, 2012
I'll say it again, if tasers are deadly weapons they wouldn't need them, just pull out your classic gun.

I hate the to break it to you common sense does come into play when questioning laws. Laws are laws until they are not. One way is to challenge their validity in court. At one time the law said I couldn't drink out of certain water fountains. That was challenged in court and guess what?

God damn lol I really hope you or your kids never try to get a law degree.

The level of "Jumping to conclusions" going on in this thread is off the charts. You sure you didn't buy a jump to conclusions mat from the guy from Office Space?

The topic of discussion is what will happen when they go to trial.... Not what your stupid jump to conclusions mat says.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I hate to break it to you guys, but whether the manufacturer and/or the police call the taser "lethal" or "non-lethal" doesn't matter much here. Nor does whether GA state law says a taser is a "firearm" or not. The question is going to be what sort of risk did this officer perceive from this man with this taser under these circumstances. One thing which could matter is, when the officer was trained with the taser, what was he told about when it is safe and when it isn't? That right there will matter more than all this stuff you guys are going back and forth about.

Reactions: CZroe and Lanyap

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I already do, and I already am.

You keep defending white people murdering black people on video. It's amazing work.

Man you are one racist idiot. It has nothing to do about black or white. I call it as I see it based on the facts of a given scenario. If I don't have enough facts I don't even bother commenting which is why I tend to start late in these threads. I sit back and wait for more info to come in. Meanwhile the usual suspects like yourself rage on and on about racism this and racism that. It's quite sad really. This one I can come out much earlier in the discussion since there is a large amount of video footage and evidence making this a clear cut case for the police here. While it is tragic Rayshard had to die, the outcome was entirely in his hands. He chose to be driving while drunk through a Wendy's drive through, he chose to attack the police officers that were arresting him, and he chose to flee while shooting back at the officers. Things he had done previously. Sadly, with the way he was going through life, this was more than likely bound to be the outcome for him.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Man you are one racist idiot. It has nothing to do about black or white. I call it as I see it based on the facts of a given scenario.

Of all the police killings of black people which have gotten significant press over these past 5 years, which ones did you conclude that the killing was unjustified?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Of all the police killings of black people which have gotten significant press over these past 5 years, which ones did you conclude that the killing was unjustified?

Michael Dunn killing Jordan Davis, Eric Gardner, Philandro Castilo, technically George Floyd but I think the officer might get off due to that mental health law crap which should have been off the books. Those are just off the top of my head.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Man you are one racist idiot. It has nothing to do about black or white. I call it as I see it based on the facts of a given scenario. If I don't have enough facts I don't even bother commenting which is why I tend to start late in these threads. I sit back and wait for more info to come in. Meanwhile the usual suspects like yourself rage on and on about racism this and racism that. It's quite sad really. This one I can come out much earlier in the discussion since there is a large amount of video footage and evidence making this a clear cut case for the police here. While it is tragic Rayshard had to die, the outcome was entirely in his hands. He chose to be driving while drunk through a Wendy's drive through, he chose to attack the police officers that were arresting him, and he chose to flee while shooting back at the officers. Things he had done previously. Sadly, with the way he was going through life, this was more than likely bound to be the outcome for him.
Yes, I'm the racist, since you keep coming on the forums to defend and deflect from the video footage of white men killing black men.

Keep up that amazing work defending white men killing black men on video, champ.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You mean murder of a felon, who stole a taser, gave an officer a concussion, resisted arrest, and didnt want to take responsibility of a DUI?

A jogger would be someone just minding there own business that was out running who got shot.

He was referring to HP's defense of the guys who killed Ahmad Arbury, not this case.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Yes, I'm the racist, since you keep coming on the forums to defend and deflect from the video footage of white men killing black men.

Keep up that amazing work defending white men killing black men on video, champ.

Video of people killing people doesn't mean shit. You are the one making it white and black. I look at the facts of what the video shows and what it doesn't. I look at all the facts before rushing to judgement. I play devil's advocate for both sides if there isn't enough evidence in either direction. In the Arbery case, there still isnt enough evidence to convict from what we've seen so far. I even stated a long time ago that one felt racially motivated to me for their actions. It was a hunch, but I didn't go all in on it. go re-read my posts in the thread if you don't believe me. Yes you are the racist here not me.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

This one was totally unjustified.
That you can tell she was completely raciest.... and im glad she got convicted.
The poor dude was chilling at home after work eatting ice cream on top, when some off duty cop comes in... freaks out because he was black, and then shoots him when he obviously had no gun, and was probably freaking out that someone with a gun entered his apt.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Video of people killing people doesn't mean shit. You are the one making it white and black. I look at the facts of what the video shows and what it doesn't. I look at all the facts before rushing to judgement. I play devil's advocate for both sides if there isn't enough evidence in either direction. In the Arbery case, there still isnt enough evidence to convict from what we've seen so far. I even stated a long time ago that one felt racially motivated to me for their actions. It was a hunch, but I didn't go all in on it. go re-read my posts in the thread if you don't believe me. Yes you are the racist here not me.
Clearly, I'm the racist, I agree.

It's true, because you keep coming onto the forums to defend white men killing black men on video.

Your logic is solid.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Clearly, I'm the racist, I agree.

It's true, because you keep coming onto the forums to defend white men killing black men on video.

Your logic is solid.
If I didn`t know better I was say HumblePie is acting like my half brother!! so sad.....my half brother is an ignoramus! My half brothers only argument when police violate somebody`s rights is well all they have to do is comply.....

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
If I didn`t know better I was say HumblePie is acting like my half brother!! so sad.....my half brother is an ignoramus! My half brothers only argument when police violate somebody`s rights is well all they have to do is comply.....
HumblePie account activates when a black man is murdered by white men on video.

HumblePie account logs onto forums and provides any and every excuse possible about why a black man being murdered by a white man on video isn't exactly what we see on the video.

All because I'm a racist.

The guy does have a point.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I hate to break it to you guys, but whether the manufacturer and/or the police call the taser "lethal" or "non-lethal" doesn't matter much here. Nor does whether GA state law says a taser is a "firearm" or not. The question is going to be what sort of risk did this officer perceive from this man with this taser under these circumstances. One thing which could matter is, when the officer was trained with the taser, what was he told about when it is safe and when it isn't? That right there will matter more than all this stuff you guys are going back and forth about.

Yeah, I haven't confirmed it but thought the DA mentioned it was against policy to give chase with a taser to begin with. If true could that and other factors like it could have an impact on the case.

The cop was in the wrong and the man should not have died is my opinion. What's going to happen in this case, I'll defer to GA legal experts. If the laws are not setup to do what is right, we need to fix them.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
HumblePie account activates when a black man is murdered by white men on video.

HumblePie account logs onto forums and provides any and every excuse possible about why a black man being murdered by a white man on video isn't exactly what we see on the video.

All because I'm a racist.

The guy does have a point.
To be fully accurate he does appear to be ammosexual as well.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
He was referring to HP's defense of the guys who killed Ahmad Arbury, not this case.

In Arbery case I was upset that they killed him. With the evidence thus far that we know in the public, or at least since I last checked, it unfortunately looked like they had a strong defense under the law. Doesn't mean I agree with it at all. There is a difference between understanding the outcome of that situation and being logical, but still be emotionally upset at those two idiots. While I think so far legally the McMichaels have a defense, I don't think what they did was right at all. As far as the situation with Rayshard though... the dude played a stupid game and won a stupid prize in my opinion. Literally no sympathy for his actions in the past or the situation that led to his death.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

The poor dude was chilling at home after work eatting ice cream on top, when some off duty cop comes in... freaks out because he was black, and then shoots him when he obviously had no gun, and was probably freaking out that someone with a gun entered his apt.

That too. There are other cases. But they conveniently forget just to accuse me of what they do.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

Rayshard's right were being violated here? How? He was drunk going through the drive thru of a Wendy's on probation for violent actions against children. The police were cordial as could be validating he was driving drunk before trying to arrest him. Or does that last brain cell in your head think that any sort of legal arrest is violating someone's rights. More so if that person is black and the officer is white? Because that is what you continually allude to you racist.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
In Arbery case I was upset that they killed him. With the evidence thus far that we know in the public, or at least since I last checked, it unfortunately looked like they had a strong defense under the law. Doesn't mean I agree with it at all. There is a difference between understanding the outcome of that situation and being logical, but still be emotionally upset at those two idiots. While I think so far legally the McMichaels have a defense, I don't think what they did was right at all. As far as the situation with Rayshard though... the dude played a stupid game and won a stupid prize in my opinion. Literally no sympathy for his actions in the past or the situation that led to his death.

I don't think they have a good defense at all.

We'll see what happens at trial on that one.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Rayshard's right were being violated here? How? He was drunk going through the drive thru of a Wendy's on probation for violent actions against children. The police were cordial as could be validating he was driving drunk before trying to arrest him. Or does that last brain cell in your head think that any sort of legal arrest is violating someone's rights. More so if that person is black and the officer is white? Because that is what you continually allude to you racist.
ahh the racist reappears!! You really have no clue do you? The issue is not was the arrest legal or were the cops cordial...the issue is he was killed when he shoulkd not have been killed!
YES!! If calling a white officer a murderer for murdering a black person is racist, I am guilty as charged!!
His rights were violated or are people like you so ignorant that they do not consider firing a deadly weapon and killing at a fleeing Black man to be a violation of that Black mans right to live??
Don`t answer your KKK buddies might hunt you down!!
A scared shitless white guy fires to kill a fleeing man who happenned to fire a Tazer that had no charge and the officer knew it had no charge, the officer was just embarrassed or scared shitless that his Police buddies would tease him for having his non lethal Tazer taken away....so sad! Oh Boo hoo.....

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Totally unjustified? Yes. Was race a factor? Not sure on that one. Might have been. She thought it was her apartment. Had she seen a white guy in his underwear in what she thought was her apartment, she might have done the same. But she had other options besides shooting that quickly, so she was definitely guilty.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I didn't deny that GA classified it as a weapon or a "firearm", but it remains to be seen if a Jury will accept it as a lethal device. Of course it has been known to be lethal on occasion but generally people don't die from a taser.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Totally unjustified? Yes. Was race a factor? Not sure on that one. Might have been. She thought it was her apartment. Had she seen a white guy in his underwear in what she thought was her apartment, she might have done the same. But she had other options besides shooting that quickly, so she was definitely guilty.

the guy had ice cream in his hands.... LMAO...
the only time ice cream is a dangerous weapon is if you have diabetes.

Reactions: BUTCH1

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I didn't deny that GA classified it as a weapon or a "firearm", but it remains to be seen if a Jury will accept it as a lethal device. Of course it has been known to be lethal on occasion but generally people don't die from a taser.
Yeah, just ask all the officer that have been through a police academy for the past several years.