Black man shares crucial lesson after getting pulled over by police: ‘I’ve never seen this happen to me’

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
It seems he had an ally that was making sure he was ok.

"“I’m like, ‘What the hell is this lady doing?'” Harris says. “But then I look at her face, and she’s just looking all scared — like she’s almost in distress.”
“And then it hit me,” he adds. “This lady is recording me because she’s scared something is gonna happen to me.”

Warms my heart. People looking out for each other.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
How sad that this is the state of affairs today. I am glad this was not worse and the bystander did what she did, but damn, we should not need this in a “free” society.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I doubt many working people have the free time to randomly stop for 15-30 minutes to help record.

An organized social movement to raise awareness and encourage this practice sounds like a good idea.

Reactions: Paratus

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
This is why body and dash cams need to be mandatory and turned on 100% of the time.

If its off at any instance you get court-martial and kicked out off the force. No playing around.

Good on the lady.

Reactions: dank69 and nickqt

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Actually, that's how society is supposed to work.

What's sad is that we're just now getting to this step.
Um nooo!! This is not how society is suppose to work!
It is sad that the police are so corrupt and purposefully lie and abuse others that we need to do these things!
If Policing was not so screwed up we should NOT need to do these things!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This is why body and dash cams need to be mandatory and turned on 100% of the time.

If its off at any instance you get court-martial and kicked out off the force. No playing around.

Good on the lady.
You are wrong! The Police have effectively made it so body cams mean nothing at all! Why? Because most Police department NEVER release dashcam footage that incriminates the Police!
When it does get released it is usually 6 months or maybe even years after the offense!
There needs to be laws that make the release of body asnd dash cam footage happen immediately! The police should NOT be ablwe to [pick and choose what gets releaswed....or in rare cases they shouyld not be allowed to delete that footage...

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Um nooo!! This is not how society is suppose to work!
It is sad that the police are so corrupt and purposefully lie and abuse others that we need to do these things!
If Policing was not so screwed up we should NOT need to do these things!!
Um yes.

In any functioning society, every individual should take care of every other individual.

Even if the police stopped abusing people, everyone should still take care of everyone else.

Reactions: dank69

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Um yes.

In any functioning society, every individual should take care of every other individual.

Even if the police stopped abusing people, everyone should still take care of everyone else.
I see what you did, but that fact is that if the police were actually doing what their oath tells them to do the Police should also be taking care of society.....I know you understood what I was saying! Of course we should always be taking care of people!! But the Police are PAID to take care of people....are they not??
Instead the Police are relegated to robbing from and lying and arresting people because the jails need to be full and if they aren`t taking your money then various public agencies cannot operate....etc.....instead we should call the Police extortionists!!

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
...But the Police are PAID to take care of people....are they not??...
The police are *supposed* to look after society by preventing/ending various crimes-in-motion and protecting people from other people who are trying to hurt them.

In actuality, the police are paid to "enforce laws" (usually targeting the poor and vulnerable) and protecting the private property of the oligarchs who pay them with our tax dollars. Everything else just kinda gets swept up under their role because we give them firearms and cars and Constitutional Exceptions.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'm happy to say I've done the same thing on no less than 3 occasions, although black folks were only involved once. Honestly the reason was less about the fear of brutality, more about proving LEOs wrong when they instruct and/or intimidate witnesses to not record them. I've always had a huge problem with that.

I like to join in with my phone, wait patiently for their ire to be directed at me, then calmly inform everyone that the reality is a public servant working in a public space can be recorded at any time. Even in Massachusetts, even in Indiana. Period. End of debate. I provide documentation if asked. Got a problem with that, take it up with the courts, tell them they got Glik v. Cunniffe wrong.

If there is nothing going on here to worry about, great! Then you have nothing to fear from this footage. I also like to throw in that it's for their safety too. If a third party were to step in and assault an officer for some reason, I'll be the first person submitting footage for any and all related investigation/prosecution.

Last edited:
  • Love

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I also do the same thing! Except where I live the cops are very predictable!
One cop in particular runs the same route through what we call a group of businesses on both side opf the road over 30 minutes......it is a group of businesses anchored by a Costco on one side and a Target on the other side!
I remmeber sitting down a resting and I saw this cop pull over this small white car and it appeared as if he aggressively compelled the woman driver to get out of her car.....
I stood up and grabbed my phone and started recording! Another cop pulled up to help the first cop! He Looked around and then he spotted me about 50 ft away taking video! He told the other cop and they both looked at me...I waved back! I am sure things would have been much different for the lady had there not been somebody with a camera! She drove away with no tickets that I could see being issued!