Black man kicked out of racist bar. Cops don’t help, but social media does

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
You're now bemoaning the lack of two sided representation but in the TM thread, you've been parotting the self serving statements of George Zimmerman.

Continue On

Not that there is any comparison whatsoever between the two, except in your little "mind", the common ground between them is facts, something you aren't familiar with. See all the pictures from inside the bar with people of all different ethnicities?

So are you saying you're using the same base to argue from this time and it's OK but not in the other situation?

Continue on please...hypocrisy is amusing

He has become the resident joke.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
So an issue where a black person is denied entry to a bar which has a history of doing the same is not one of racism? Do enlighten us when someone should say something is racism. Or do you just feel people should come and check with you first.

I have not yet once said this bar isn't racist. I have said that there is nothing that I have seen that says for a fact that this is the case. You on the other hand, like those I was describing in the last post, see everything as racist first even when there is no real evidence to back that up other than some socialites labeling it as racist.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Not that there is any comparison whatsoever between the two, except in your little "mind", the common ground between them is facts, something you aren't familiar with. See all the pictures from inside the bar with people of all different ethnicities?

He has become the resident joke.

Two distinct cases. On one side in both cases you have individuals who have rap sheets, one longer than the other, who are accused of assaulting somebody, on the other side you have 2 individuals 1 a teenager (without a record) another a Harvard student (who may or may not have a record). Now why is it that you have sided with the felons in both cases. Hmmm... Let me see, is there anything that the Teenager and harvard student have in common? Hmmmm

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I was a member of the temple at 18th & Lavaca in Austin. The same one our president went to. Defending racists isn't honorable in any way.

sorry i dont see racism. if i did i would not defend it.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
So an issue where a black person is denied entry to a bar which has a history of doing the same is not one of racism? Do enlighten us when someone should say something is racism. Or do you just feel people should come and check with you first.

no if you look at the photos from IN THE BAR they have a recorded history of letting black people in. and it looks like they are having a good time!!!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
no if you look at the photos from IN THE BAR they have a recorded history of letting black people in. and it looks like they are having a good time!!!

I'm gonna go with the "they let them in if they're with whiteys but when they're not, it's MEMBERS ONLY"

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
I'm gonna go with the "they let them in if they're with whiteys but when they're not, it's MEMBERS ONLY"

Or who's to say they didn't let a few in for the photo op?

So that they can later say "See, we're not racist!!1"

Seems to have worked on some of our more dim-witted members here...

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Or who's to say they didn't let a few in for the photo op?

So that they can later say "See, we're not racist!!1"

Seems to have worked on some of our more dim-witted members here...
Pick any one of the photo albums and try to not find a black person in it...I gave up after 7, and they weren't all with white people...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Selective enforcement of the dress policy was grounds for the AG going after them. I've been to the bar many times and they did have a no baggy pants/jersey/hats policy; the problem was that they only enforced it on black patrons.

I recall when this mean cop abused this poor black Harvard professor. Remember that one?

"He did it" was the consensus. He was a racist SOB, remember? Then those who made the accusations had their asses handed to him when it turned out the prof was a dick.

It may be as said on the site, however I'm not going to jump at an accusation being gospel. I'm too old for that.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Wrong. Guess again!

Correct.
The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I still have hopes for soceity. All the bitching and moaning concerning anti-discrimination laws it still hard to get redress from the legal system. Click the links for a more complete context of the story.

http://jezebel.com/5919562/black-man-kicked-out-of-racist-bar-cops-dont-help-but-social-media-does

Presuming there's any truth to the allegations, why would the cops get involved? While I'm not saying what happened is right...it's not "criminal" either.

Shouldn't that fall under the "We Refuse the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" category?

Any redress should have to come from a civil court...not a criminal court. (may depend on individual state laws)

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
playing devils advocate here...

what are the cops to do? this is a civil matter not a criminal matter. NC is not England where the bobbys would haul the bar manager to jail.
Sting operation. Send in a couple plain clothes detectives who are black, wearing wires, acting responsibly, and see how they get treated. Another option is to bring in the Justice Department, which has the expertise and experience as well as the resources to look into this.

I'm always skeptical of such claims simply because they usually turn out to be bullshit, but I think they always have to be investigated. Private businesses serving the public can and should be able to decline to serve or accommodate someone, but they cannot be allowed to do so on the basis of skin color. It has to be behavior or dress only.

EDIT: I should point out that I'm not advocating that the bar owner or manager go to jail if this proves out, but the bar should lose its license until such time as management have mended their ways.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Presuming there's any truth to the allegations, why would the cops get involved? While I'm not saying what happened is right...it's not "criminal" either.

Shouldn't that fall under the "We Refuse the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" category?

Any redress should have to come from a civil court...not a criminal court. (may depend on individual state laws)
I disagree. The penalties may be civil, but any time a credible accusation of civil rights infringement occurs, I think the cops MUST investigate, or bring in Justice.

I think most such accusations are bullshit, and the photos from the bar's web site seem to confirm that. But it's a serious enough accusation that it deserves some follow up. It's entirely possible that the bar has changed hands, or there is one or a few hardcore racists employed there, or that those blacks are personal friends. (I've known some people who are virulent racists in general, but still good friends with some blacks or Mexicans or whatever. That's really not that uncommon in the South.) I don't philosophically have a huge problem with bars just saying that "I don't like your face" and denying admittance, but that kind of latitude has to be carefully watched lest it provide cover for institutionalized racism.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
From a passing glance at this thread it seems like this may indeed be another boy who cried "racism" situation. (Oh btw I'm racist because I said "boy" don'tchaknow?)

I think a lot of people in the US and elsewhere have figured out that they can make a lot of attention and possibly cash end up coming their way by making such accusations, and that some people are absolutely primed to see racism everywhere, sometimes there is some truth to it... other times it's almost entirely imagined. Sometimes it's people mistaking a dislike for thugs who cause trouble or disrupt businesses with a dislike for blacks... sorry black thugs, you don't get to equate your stupid lifestyle choices with your race, there are plenty of black people making other choices about how to conduct themselves and live their lives. So... 1 to 1 association not found, not agreed with, not acknowledged.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I disagree. The penalties may be civil, but any time a credible accusation of civil rights infringement occurs, I think the cops MUST investigate, or bring in Justice.

I think most such accusations are bullshit, and the photos from the bar's web site seem to confirm that. But it's a serious enough accusation that it deserves some follow up. It's entirely possible that the bar has changed hands, or there is one or a few hardcore racists employed there, or that those blacks are personal friends. (I've known some people who are virulent racists in general, but still good friends with some blacks or Mexicans or whatever. That's really not that uncommon in the South.) I don't philosophically have a huge problem with bars just saying that "I don't like your face" and denying admittance, but that kind of latitude has to be carefully watched lest it provide cover for institutionalized racism.

What would the cops investigate? AFAIK, there's no criminal law being broken here...and yes, I agree that it appears to be a bullshit "race card" claim.
If it's true, then any penalty would be civil, not criminal, and in MOST places, "civil violations" aren't investigated by law enforcement.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
To all of you saying "race card", do you either

1. not believe the comments in the blog which corroborate claims of apparent discrimination

or

2. believe numerous people are playing the race card and the number of similar complaints are just a coincidence

or...?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
To all of you saying "race card", do you either

1. not believe the comments in the blog which corroborate claims of apparent discrimination

or

2. believe numerous people are playing the race card and the number of similar complaints are just a coincidence

or...?

or i believe the pictures dating back several years of the bar having lots of black people in it, and appear to having a good time. I look at how everybody is dressed and can tell the bar has standards. this isnt a corner bar where a road crew still stinking from laying blacktop all day goes to hang out for a after work beer.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
or i believe the pictures dating back several years of the bar having lots of black people in it, and appear to having a good time. I look at how everybody is dressed and can tell the bar has standards. this isnt a corner bar where a road crew still stinking from laying blacktop all day goes to hang out for a after work beer.

Hmmm.

1.) Where did you get they were thrown out for what they were wearing?
2.) What standards does the bar have? There are guys with shorts on in the pics.
3.) I could be wrong but I believe this is a pic of the guy. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-wall/53/135/778. Threatening much? Maybe that is a bad question for you.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Raliegh, NC you say? Shocking! *sigh*

I've gotta get out of the south. *shakes head*

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this young Harvard bound guy has a lot of ambition and wants to be a public figure, and sees this bar's dress code and thinks "oh that's just a backhanded way of banning blacks, look at the clothing items they listed!" and sets out to deliberately create a situation in which he's thrown out so he can scamper off to the blogosphere and make a big stink. Gets his foot in the door in terms of name recognition, maybe gets him some connections with people like Sharpton etc, who knows.

But the pictures of happy black people enjoying the bar are pretty damning to the idea that it's some racist enclave for whites only... I don't deny there may be some racist element in the employees there or whatever... it's traditionally been pretty easy to get me to believe people in the south are racist hicks, but I'm starting to be more skeptical about this sort of story and I'm learning doing so is the right call.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002

Don't care to go dig through the pictures, but I did look at the ones posted here... From those I noticed that all the pictures were of mixed race groups usually consisting of a decent looking female. I didn't see picture of a group of black guys or just a single black guy....hardly proving that these particular individuals would have been let in without their group.. Bars do happen to let you in based on who you know and who you're with.... doesn't make this particular incident racist or anything, but ya never know.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Racism is alive and well all over the country, people just tend to be more obvious about it in the South and it most definitely goes both ways. I've grown extremely bored with it honestly.