Black man kicked out of racist bar. Cops don’t help, but social media does

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Dress code was never brought up by the plantiff in NC but by the reporter of the article. So, what's your point?

The point that flew over your head is the New York example is not the same as the North Carolina issue that's being discussed. Unless you can prove that the bar in North Carolina let's other races in the bar in violation of the dress code and only throws blacks out for violating the code you have no proof that he was singled out because of his race. He's making the claim it's due to racist reasons yet I've seen nothing that backs this up.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Can I ask a question I am just wondering about:

Why would you kick someone out of a bar for no "real" reason? I could see if the bar was full, reserved for a party, or if the guy was disturbing people/begging for change etc.

Just because you can legally do something doesn't make it really the right thing to do. I can legally kick a white guy from my bar if I wanted, but why if he isn't hurting anything/anyone?

C'mon, stop hiding behind the law and using it to cover sheer stupidity...

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
The point that flew over your head is the New York example is not the same as the North Carolina issue that's being discussed. Unless you can prove that the bar in North Carolina let's other races in the bar in violation of the dress code and only throws blacks out for violating the code you have no proof that he was singled out because of his race. He's making the claim it's due to racist reasons yet I've seen nothing that backs this up.

Wow. The point from myself and the article completely went over your head. The NC incident has nothing to do with dress code. Please provide quote where the guy in NC was thrown out due to dress code? I said that the photo you posted and obviously didn't understand was provided by the reporter to add to their story and had nothing to do with the guy's complaint.

And even sadder is that in NY, the black folks were kicked out using the excuse of dress code but white people weren't. Again, nothing to do with dress code but color of skin.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000

Did you read the article?

The same thing happened to me and my friends at Downtown Sports Bar! My two friends and I, all of us white, got in no problem. However my boyfriend and his friend, both black, were turned away for not having on collared shirts. After they were denied entry, we stood outside and witnessed 5 white males being let in that had on regular t-shirts just like my friends did!!! Absolutely disgusting, I truly hope the news will do an investigation.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
WTF, in Raleigh? This place is a bubble of people from different states and countries, of different races, and highly educated.

Article says this was Downtown Sports Bar and Grill.

It DOES need to get shutdown. :mad:

why because they let in black people? looks like the many black people in their photo gallery are having a great time in this whites only bar owned by the Klan (as some in here would suggest). sorry racism not found.

what I did find were some hot chicks, black and white. yum

pics_agunn%2068564.jpg

bbpics_agunn7403.jpg

pics_marika%2068380.jpg

pics_agunn%2068568.jpg

pics_ben%2068567.jpg

Last edited:

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006

You beat me to it...looking through their albums there's a lot of black people...seems somebody got a little butt hurt over not being allowed in and wants to play the race card. Or are we gonna just say it "selective" racism, they're not racist against all blacks just some of them, you know the ones that want a payday

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Imagine that, I wonder if the real reason was that the people were wearing baggy pants hanging off their ass or were already intoxicated???

im going with this. the people in all their photos are dressed nice, not like they just came out of the projects or off a construction site.

those nerds in the social media circle wanting to shut this place down need to STFU and get a job.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
I'd like to know if the picture of the window with the "We serve whites only" message is this actual bar, or just an inflammatory stock photo. Not that I don't think it happened, but the "article" is very one sided.

That site is a "Pro-Black" website...Dont expect it to not be biased. As far as the sign out front goes, it does single out the "thug culture" segment of black people [and some whites]. In my experience Id rather not have gangster types or wannabes in my establishment either.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The racists from the Treyvon Martin thread are making their way here. Oh noes.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So are you insinuating that there are no all-black bars? I would guess in some neighborhoods some bars cater to almost all black clientel exclusively, whether by choice of the customers or just making white people feel not wanted. So in this world why cant some businesses cater to only white people or only Mexicans, or whatever?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
So are you insinuating that there are no all-black bars? I would guess in some neighborhoods some bars cater to almost all black clientel exclusively, whether by choice of the customers or just making white people feel not wanted. So in this world why cant some businesses cater to only white people or only Mexicans, or whatever?

there are some Mexican bars in north Denver that a dude of any color but brown would be taking a huge risk to their health if they entered.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

I don't think the all-black bars are actively discriminating against other races should they step foot in that bar. As you yourself admitted, the neighborhood may be the primary inhibitor for preventing others from going into certain bars, but they are more than welcome to spend their money there...

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have not really seen any all-white bars as far as I know. Personally, I dont frequent bars, or even drink alcoholic beverages. I think people that go to these places are drunks.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
And now backed-up with numerous other people complaining of similar experiences.

Yet there are numerous pictures of blacks, and other races besides whites in the bar. Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. One sided article is one sided.

The racists from the Treyvon Martin thread are making their way here. Oh noes.

Yes, you did make your way here.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
What's completely wrong? A business can refuse access/service to anyone they want. They can make up any excuse they want. You think they are going to say its because he is black, I think not. That doesn't stop them from kicking him out anyways. They can easily make up another reason and seeing is how its their right to refuse who they want, not much can be done about it.

Actually, it seems it's really trivial to find out whether a bar has a racist policy or not in that article halik owned you with:

Responding to complaints from blacks who say they were denied entrance “based on violations of the unwritten dress code,” Cuomo’s office dispatched two black investigators to Tonic East last September, where they were turned away, ostensibly for wearing baggy pants and sneakers. But two similarly dressed white investigators were warmly welcomed inside the Shangri-La of sports just a week later.

Also, a bar in canada was caught doing this because one of the black patrons used his cell phone camera to record the bouncers not admitting them and making excuses over their clothing, but white patrons had the same clothing and were getting let in. It's really really easy to figure it out. You're wrong, deal with it.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Actually, it seems it's really trivial to find out whether a bar has a racist policy or not in that article halik owned you with:

Also, a bar in canada was caught doing this because one of the black patrons used his cell phone camera to record the bouncers not admitting them and making excuses over their clothing, but white patrons had the same clothing and were getting let in. It's really really easy to figure it out. You're wrong, deal with it.

Halik's news piece didnt own anybody and i posted why up above. try to keep up.

yea so. we are talking about a bar in the US, with US laws. why would you bring canada into this??

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

yea so. we are talking about a bar in the US, with US laws. why would you bring canada into this??

You are an embarrassment to that avatar...

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

Selective enforcement of the dress policy was grounds for the AG going after them. I've been to the bar many times and they did have a no baggy pants/jersey/hats policy; the problem was that they only enforced it on black patrons.