Black Lives Matter: to the tune of $4 each

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Court documents lay out what happened on Jan. 14, 2014. Around 3 p.m., a mother picking children up from an elementary school heard loud music coming from the garage of a home nearby. She called in a noise complaint, and two St. Lucie County sheriff’s deputies — Deputy Newman and Edward Lopez — responded. When they arrived at Mr. Hill’s home, the garage door was closed; they banged on it, and eventually it opened to reveal Mr. Hill.

Whether Mr. Hill, who worked at a Coca-Cola factory and had a history of serious traffic offenses, was holding a gun and whether he was ordered to drop it are in dispute.

Regardless, the garage door was eventually closed, and Deputy Newman fired four times through it, striking Mr. Hill once in the head and twice in the abdomen. The entire episode took less than two minutes.

Eventually, a SWAT team arrived, released chemical agents into the home and used a robot to pierce the garage door and photograph the inside. The authorities then realized Mr. Hill was dead.

The deputy fired randomly through a closed garage door? WTF?

https://nyti.ms/2LIvzeK

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Wow. That's clearly an award intended to communicate bad feelings to the family. If the lawsuit is frivolous, toss it out.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Read the article and apparently the jury reduced the four dollar to nothing...

WTF is wrong with Florida?

Feb 4, 2009
The deputy fired randomly through a closed garage door? WTF?

https://nyti.ms/2LIvzeK

I saw this last night, however I am confused (and admittedly I didn't read the link)
Thing I saw about it is the victim raised the door and had a gun on him. He closed or slammed the door when he saw Police.
The whole thing is just weird sounding.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I saw this last night, however I am confused (and admittedly I didn't read the link)
Thing I saw about it is the victim raised the door and had a gun on him. He closed or slammed the door when he saw Police.
The whole thing is just weird sounding.

Article states victim was found dead in garage by sat with gun in back pocket that was not loaded.

I think firing through the garage door was an extremely careless action by the officer. The victim was obviously not trying to engage police, and sounds like there were words between them

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
So just reviewing the story here:

A gentleman is drinking and listening to music real loud in his garage. Meanwhile, a mother who is picking up her children from school passes by and hears it and calls the police for a noise complaint. The cops show up and knocks on the garage door, and the man inside opens it. This is where the events go left. For whatever reason, the gentleman closes the door, or closes the door on the cop, and the cop fires four shots into the garage as he's closing it.

I guess that's where I'm confused, and we may never know. Did he purposefully close the garage door on the cop? (Not a smart move to do, honestly). Was the conversation over and the cop decided to blast the guy? (That would be a hate crime). I feel like something is missing from this story, or did I miss something?

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Obviously the cops should have waited to get shot at before shooting.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
1l_bbfDHzW8UxaEhd9HR5r48n9D93RsCruYSefviT-Q.png

smh at this shot first bullshit

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
According to the New York Times, officers arrived and knocked on the garage door.

Mr Hill, a warehouse employee, raised the door only to shut it again after seeing police outside.

One of the officers opened fire four times as the door closed, hitting Hill three times, once in the head, reports the newspaper.

The deputies knocked on the garage door.

When no one responded, Newman knocked on the front door. He heard the music get louder and turned to see the garage door opening. Hill stood facing out of the garage with his left hand on the door and his right hand down.

Newman drew his gun, and as the garage door started to go down, fired four times toward Hill, tracking upward.

Sherrifs statement
Mascara said in statements following the incident that as the garage door opened, the deputies saw Hill with a handgun down at his side.

“Deputies ordered (Hill) to drop the gun. Instead of complying with the deputies’ commands, (he) raised the gun toward the deputies as he simultaneously pulled the garage door closed,”

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-11th-circuit/1887067.html
The deputies heard loud music coming from Hill's garage and knocked on the garage door. When no one responded, Newman knocked on the front door. He heard the music get louder and turned to see the garage door opening. Hill stood facing out of the garage with his left hand on the door and his right hand down. Newman drew his gun, and as the garage door started to go down, fired four times toward Hill, tracking upward. A SWAT team arrived, and when it went inside the garage, it confirmed that Hill was dead and found a gun in his back pocket. He had been shot three times: twice in the abdomen and once in the head. Bryant's expert concluded that after sustaining the head wound, Hill would have been incapable of any motor function.

Gregory Hill's nine-year-old daughter, who was sitting on a bench at the school across the street when the incident occurred. She testified that she could see her father and that he had nothing in his hands when he was shot. Although Newman and Lopez testified that Hill was holding a gun during the incident, at the summary judgment stage we do not weigh contradictory evidence but accept Destiny Hill's testimony as true for present purposes.

Newman also asserts that Destiny Hill's testimony should be disregarded because it is contradicted by the physical evidence. But the physical evidence supports the inference that Hill was not holding a gun when Newman shot him. A gun was found in Hill's back pocket, not in his hand. Newman claims that Hill had time between the first shot and the final shot to place the gun in his pocket because the head wound (which made motor function impossible) occurred last. But that conclusion requires us to draw an inference in favor of Newman, which we will not do at the summary judgment stage. See Gilmore, 738 F.3d at 272. We conclude that there is a genuine dispute about whether Hill was holding a gun when he opened the garage door.

1620160120115423005.jpg

Feb 4, 2009
Under no circumstance should a cop ever fire first.

I am no cop apologist, I do not agree.

Link:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...s_watch_of_their_colleagues_being_killed.html

Text:
Perhaps the most infamous and widely circulated video of this sort depicts the 1998 murder of Deputy Kyle Dinkheller of the Laurens County Sheriff's Office in Georgia. (You can watch it here, but keep in mind that, like all the other videos linked to in this article, it makes for graphic, upsetting viewing.) In the grainy, 3½ minute recording, Dinkheller can be seen pulling over a pickup truck on the highway and greeting the driver with a friendly “how are you doing today?” The driver, dressed in a loose-fitting jacket and a white cap, gets out of his car, and, after ignoring a request to keep his hands out of his pockets, starts taunting Dinkheller and doing a deranged-looking dance in the middle of the road. “Fuck you, goddammit, here I am—shoot my fucking ass,” the man says. The situation escalates rapidly. Dinkheller radios for backup as the man, starts rummaging in the back of his truck. Seconds later he has produced a .30 caliber M1 carbine and crouched beside his car door; after Dinkheller orders him five times to put the gun down, the man starts shooting. The last 30 seconds of the video show the driver running back to his truck, gun in hand, and driving off. By this time, Dinkheller, who has been hit by 10 bullets, including one at extremely close range, is dead.

I’m going to reserve judgment on this case in FL until more facts are revealed. The whole thing sounds strange.

Reactions: Thunder 57
Nov 25, 2013
Actually...if the police were 1% responsible...and the jury awarded $4...wouldn't that make a black life worth $400?

Hell, I think they were worth more in the old slave days...:eek:

The police portion of responsibility was assessed at 4 cents (1%)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
and where did you get this bullshit belief? cops fire first all the damn time and its within their rights to do so.

I didn't intend to say that the law say that they should never fire first. I know that legally they can under a large number of circumstances. I think the laws should be changed to say that they should under no circumstances ever be allowed to fire first.
Personally, I would prefer to see more dead cops and fewer dead civilians. But that is just my strange belief that it is the cops job is to protect civilians not kill them.

Reactions: DarthKyrie