black friday report

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
#1 lesson: most serious campers are there to use their friends to buy 10 of each item and post them on ebay and craigslist for 100-150% markup : (

I took the bus from davis CA to sacramento at 8pm after dinner and arrived downtown at 9pm. took a few more busses and lightrail and got to best buy around 10:30pm. line was ~60 people. no idea how long the line got, but after I bought stuff, I relaxed on the floor of the "lobby" and watched hoards of people being let to rush into the store every 30mins for a few hours. around midnight, best buy employees came out and people were asking about how many this or that door buster items. well he said "18 minimum per store, so that means 30, 40, 50." I don't know how many there actually were, but they were 1 per customer and the tickets stopped around person 35 in line. after it had warmed up to a pleasant 35F by about 7am, I walked over to the burger king, got a ENORMOUS OLMLETTE SANDWICH and then took the transit back home and got a ride part way from a cool davis dude on slickdeals.

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
oh yeah #2 lesson: it will get colder than you can IMAGINE. not so much because it gets coldest just before sunrise, but mainly because YOU ARE NOT MOVING VERY MUCH FOR, which means even highly insulating clothes don't do THAT MUCH because your body isn't creating that much heat. So.. either dress for antarctica or bring some sort of heating device like a gas heater or lots of hotpacks.

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
Originally posted by: dpopiz
oh yeah #2 lesson: it will get colder than you can IMAGINE. not so much because it gets coldest just before sunrise, but mainly because YOU ARE NOT MOVING VERY MUCH FOR, which means even highly insulating clothes don't do THAT MUCH because your body isn't creating that much heat. So.. either dress for antarctica or bring some sort of heating device like a gas heater or lots of hotpacks.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. I wore a sweatshirt and coat, but only had thin gloves, jeans, and non insulated shoes. Luckily I remembered to bring a blanket, but my feet still froze. I should've brought the two hotpacks i had at home.