Black Friday Purchases Thread

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I thought it'd be nice to have a thread for rounding up our Black Friday purchases, just to see what everyone ended up getting.

I picked up Metro: Redux ($20) for my One and The Elder Scrolls Anthology ($12 for all TES games and all DLC, plus physical maps of the games), and I might also pick up the CoD controller ($40) and NBA 2K15 ($24) for my One, along with some of those $5 earphones (as I have a tendency to have any pair I own get ruined in 6-12 months, so screw buying another nice pair that won't last). That's the Best Buy part.

Then, I'm debating a few purchases away from Best Buy. Mainly, I intend to get one of the $13 Newegg DVD drives, as I don't have an optical drive. I need one for ripping CDs now, and it's dirt cheap to get that one. Either Newegg or Tiger Direct also has a 3-TB Western Digital Green internal drive for $90, and after calling $30/TB my buy-in for a new drive, I'm close to biting. I'll probably try to find a cheap, USB 3.0 enclosure though, to stick my current, 640-GB WD Black drive into (which I'll probably then use as Xbox One expansion storage).

Anyway, what about the rest of the people here? Anyone buy into some of those nice, new console deals, or generally find anything good to buy?

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
I bought the Amazon PS4 bundle with GTA5. Haven't owned a console in years so I wanted to get back into the swing of things. Also bought Fifa 15 and Nba2k15 from Bestbuy for $30 a piece. Then bought a PS Plus membership from Ebay for $40 for a year.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
I bought the Xbox One deal from a physical MS Store and got Destiny as free game. Then also got FIFA 15 and Shadow of Mordor.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Only thing that interested me was The Evil Within for $25 on PS4. Everything else is too much and I can wait.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
First time in a while I bought nothing lol.

I am debating on getting a USB 3.0 HDD for my XB1. With EA Access and Games with Gold along with the free game for early adopter and the two games I got with my sunset overdrive bundle(SO and Ryse) installed, I only have 20GB left.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
planned on getting sunset overdrive until they had the free day to play it last weekend. glad i tried it out because i did not like it and it saved me $40.

then i almost jumped on shadow of mordor for $25, but then decided not to because it just looks so similar to assassins creed and i'm not a fan of that game. i just don't think i would play it through if i got it so passed up on that too.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't know, Shadow of Mordor is similar to assassin's creed on the surface but the combat is done a million times better and the nemesis system is awesome. Enemies you defeat but don't get the killing blow on will come back later on with more power, when you kill a captain another and sometimes even more powerful one will take his place, when you die that captain will gain power and be stronger next time you meet, if a friend dies you might get a mission to avenge them. The story is good, the lore is sound and doesn't stray too far from The Lord of the Rings. My only complaints are that it is too easy to be overpowered if you play a certain way and a couple of the boss fights were lame.

For $25 it's definitely something I'd recommend.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I picked up forza 2 horizon, and zoo tycoon. Traded in cod aw to best buy for $40. Couldn't find any other exclusives for Xbox that I wanted. Was meaning to buy a ps tv again but missed out on it.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
First time in a while I bought nothing lol.

I am debating on getting a USB 3.0 HDD for my XB1. With EA Access and Games with Gold along with the free game for early adopter and the two games I got with my sunset overdrive bundle(SO and Ryse) installed, I only have 20GB left.

Yeah, I was up to 83% of something on my HDD, but I deleted stuff. I knew that I'd never play any of that Games with Gold trash, so I deleted just about all of them, and I wasn't re-purchasing Sunset Overdrive for Black Friday, so I deleted it. It got me back into the 60-something percent range. Now, I've also decided I'm not re-purchasing The Evil Within, so I'll probably delete that as well. That way, I should be good on room for Metro: Redux, Monopoly, NBA 2K15, and the next GwG crap, haha.

I haven't seen a price I liked for the external 3-TB drives, though the internal WD Green at $90 has me intrigued.

planned on getting sunset overdrive until they had the free day to play it last weekend. glad i tried it out because i did not like it and it saved me $40.

then i almost jumped on shadow of mordor for $25, but then decided not to because it just looks so similar to assassins creed and i'm not a fan of that game. i just don't think i would play it through if i got it so passed up on that too.

Oh, it's totally not. I similarly hate the combat in Assassin's Creed which is why I barely was able to make it through 2 games. With Mordor, it's not the defense-based crap combat, where all you do is block and counter. You can get into huge fights if you want, and they give you solid abilities galore, which make you an unstoppable force, if you use them correctly.

I guess it would depend on what you didn't like about Assassin's Creed, though. This game only has you sneaking on a few quests, for example.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Is Wolfenstein: The New Order decent on the PS4 or will I be missing a lot by not getting the it on the PC?

Madia

May 2, 2006
Only thing that interested me was The Evil Within for $25 on PS4. Everything else is too much and I can wait.

Aside from a couple cheap blu-rays that's the only thing I got. I bought a PS4 about 2 months ago at walmart when they had the combo of the console, a dual shock and infamous for $459. I bought Shadow of Mordor when it was on sale for $50. I know I could've gotten them cheaper had I waited but I'm glad I had them earlier since I got to finish Shadow of Mordor and also binge play Inquisition during the holiday.

I haven't played and assassins creed games but heard that the combat's like Batman Arkham whereas the movement is like assassins creed. I greatly enjoyed it at $50 so would highly recommend it at $25.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I haven't played and assassins creed games but heard that the combat's like Batman Arkham whereas the movement is like assassins creed. I greatly enjoyed it at $50 so would highly recommend it at $25.

It's really not. I mean, on their faces, the games are similar. However, having not played the Arkham games, but seeing quite a bit of them, the combat is actually a lot different. There are superficial comparisons to be made, but Arkham's games are a lot more fluid and allow for an offensive attack style. Mordor is from the same publishing studio, and it takes a lot of cues from the Arkham games, so comparing it to Arkham's a more-accurate comparison than Assassin's Creed, but even then, you're definitely more powerful and capable in Mordor, in my opinion.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I'm being gifted a ps4 black Friday bundle, so I bought shadow of mordor and infamous second son to go with it. Pretty happy with it since after I used a gift card I basically got a new console with 4 good games for less than $2 :)

Madia

May 2, 2006
It's really not. I mean, on their faces, the games are similar. However, having not played the Arkham games, but seeing quite a bit of them, the combat is actually a lot different. There are superficial comparisons to be made, but Arkham's games are a lot more fluid and allow for an offensive attack style. Mordor is from the same publishing studio, and it takes a lot of cues from the Arkham games, so comparing it to Arkham's a more-accurate comparison than Assassin's Creed, but even then, you're definitely more powerful and capable in Mordor, in my opinion.

I played the first 2 Arkham games and would say the sword combat in Shadow of Mordor is more inspired by Arkham rather than being similar to it. The main similarity is hitting the button shown to counter an opponent's attack and leaping over the shield guys to hit them in the back. Shadow does this better since you can do it immediately and aren't locked into a combat animation. Other that that it's it's own game and I would recommend it to anyone.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I bit on the X1's Asscreed bundle everybody had, at Gamestop. Walmart was out of the Halo MCC bundles by 4pm yesterday.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Bought the Xbox One AC Bundle with Kinect. Forza Horizon 2, GTA V as Physical. Bought digital copies of Forza 5 and Titan Fall Deluxe from Xbox store online during Black Friday Sale.

I really wanted a PS4 but I love racing too much to pass up on Forza games. Maybe for Xmas :)

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Bought the Xbox One AC Bundle with Kinect. Forza Horizon 2, GTA V as Physical. Bought digital copies of Forza 5 and Titan Fall Deluxe from Xbox store online during Black Friday Sale.

I really wanted a PS4 but I love racing too much to pass up on Forza games. Maybe for Xmas :)

I'm loving forza horizon 2. The handling and graphics are great. Graphics by far are amazing.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I ended up getting the Wii U Pro controller (for Smash, more than anything) for $40 and Monopoly (on the One) for $15, both at Target. I then got 3 of the Skullcandy Jib earphones that they had for $5 each because my earphones tend to break in 6-12 months, and I didn't feel like shoving $50 into another decent pair. I couldn't find the CoD AW controller in-stock anywhere to day, so I missed out on that, but it led to my Pro controller purchase, so it kind of worked out (the CoD controller would have been my third on the One, despite rarely needing 2, while using the Wiimotion Plus on Smash was unpleasant).

I also was unable/unwilling to get NBA 2K15 on my One because it was sold out online, they wouldn't let you do an in-store pickup order, and I honestly just didn't feel like trying to get the GCU discount to work with the purchase after the pain in the ass of trying to get it to work with Smash. Maybe it'll be cheap again for Cyber Monday or something. Lastly, had my dad pick me up a $13 optical drive from Newegg, so I can rip CDs and put TESA onto my desktop.

So, in total, I got:

Wii U Pro Controller, $40 at Target
Metro: Redux on the One, $20 at Best Buy
The Elder Scrolls Anthology on the PC, $12 at Best Buy (got 2, one as a Christmas gift)
Monopoly on the One, $15 at Target
LG DVD Burner, $13 at Newegg
Skullcandy Jib earphones, $5 at Best Buy (got 3)

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
To my complete surprise I bought a Wii U tonight. Walmart this week has the Wii U Deluxe with Mario Kart & Nintendoland for $299 PLUS a $50 GC, so that's only $250 for a deluxe plus a premier title and another pretty decent one. First Nintendo I've owned since the SNES.

If interested, you have to buy the Wii u deluxe mariokart bundle in store and when it rings up you'll get the $50 GC. You can't do it online. There is an online version that will give the $50 GC and it is mario world 3d instead of mariokart, but it's been sold out for most of the day.

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
I also debated on getting Shadows of Mordor and decided against it. I bought it earlier, played through about 75% of it and traded it in when Best Buy was offering trade-in credit equal to what I paid for the game. I though about re-buying it for $20, but decided to wait a little longer.

TBH, for all the hype that the nemesis system got in Shadows of Mordor, I thought it was just ok. It's a neat concept that fit into the plot of the game, but TBH I massacred so many war chiefs I had a hard time remembering the nemesis references to the prior encounters. Did I shoot you in the face with an arrow before? Sorry I don't remember. You're the 1000th orc I shot in the face this week.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I also debated on getting Shadows of Mordor and decided against it. I bought it earlier, played through about 75% of it and traded it in when Best Buy was offering trade-in credit equal to what I paid for the game. I though about re-buying it for $20, but decided to wait a little longer.

TBH, for all the hype that the nemesis system got in Shadows of Mordor, I thought it was just ok. It's a neat concept that fit into the plot of the game, but TBH I massacred so many war chiefs I had a hard time remembering the nemesis references to the prior encounters. Did I shoot you in the face with an arrow before? Sorry I don't remember. You're the 1000th orc I shot in the face this week.

To get the most out of it you have to get close to them and let them do the dialogue before combat. They say "hey you remember me? I'll make you pay for these scars you gave me." or whatever. If you exploit the stealth or ranged weakness you will miss this part.

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
To get the most out of it you have to get close to them and let them do the dialogue before combat. They say "hey you remember me? I'll make you pay for these scars you gave me." or whatever. If you exploit the stealth or ranged weakness you will miss this part.

Yeah I know. I still didn't remember most of the references. I mowed down dozens of them. I didn't keep a journal on how each of them went down.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I didn't really remember many of them myself, save the few who I killed several times. I mean, there would be the instance where I could figure out who the person was if I had killed him recently, but that's it. Gimub Man-Stalker, though...he was the person I killed most.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I picked up an XBone with single controller and kinect that came with forza.($429 at hastings with a $100 GC)
Additional purchases:
extra controller
year of XBLive
Titanfall Bundle
Battlefield 4
Destiny
Thief
Tales from the Borderlands volume 1
Peggle 2 (for my 7 yr old)
Still plan on picking up AC unity.