Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2012 HDTV roundup

Discussion in 'Black Friday 2012' started by Steve, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve Lifer

Here's a thread where we may dissect, discuss and debate the deals on HDTVs for this year's Black Friday. I'm just going to copy/paste the lists from http://bfads.net. Also, feel free to post any suggestions/revisions for the OP. I'm going to try to stick to the bigger retailers that most people know.

2011 thread
    2010 thread
    2009 thread

More stores to come, stay tuned!

#1 Steve, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. Steve

Steve Lifer

OP updated with separate listings for Sears's Thursday night and Friday morning sales.

3. Steve

Steve Lifer

Walmart added to OP.

4. NoStateofMind

NoStateofMind Diamond Member

Looking for Samsung 46" 7000 series (super thin bezel) or Panasonic ST50 series. Neither make a show? COME ON!

5. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

yea kinda lame that none of the panny plasmas worth buying are there

6. Steve

Steve Lifer

OP updated with Kmart's Friday sales, near the top.

7. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

You rock for doing this Steve. I was actually thinking about this yesterday morning, but it's the end of the marking period & I had some reports to get out.

#7 DrPizza, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  8. Steve

Steve Lifer

No prob, happy to help out :)

9. Steve

Steve Lifer

Target added to OP.

10. dbk

dbk Lifer

Same here 60ST50!!

11. DrPizza

Administrator

Darn it, I have no clue about televisions; they all look close enough to the same to me.

That Samsung 60" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (UN60EH6000) - $1,199.99 at Sears - is it a decent television? Or a piece of junk?

Do I want 3D? I wear glasses - do I want glasses over my glasses?

I don't watch television very often, nor do I really spend any time looking at them in stores, since that means a half hour drive. I keep seeing ST50... what's that mean? (I suppose I can google & read the home theater forum.)

12. s44

s44 Diamond Member

The Samsung set is good, though there's some panel variation that the geeks complain about. It's been on sale for $1k at Fry's already though.

ST50 is the Panasonic plasma that's the current price/performance champ on the plasma side.

3D... yeah, it's a gimmick. You need glasses. You may or may not want to use it for stuff.

13. dbk

dbk Lifer

wow that 65" at Sam's Club looks really good!

14. ghost recon88

ghost recon88 Diamond Member

Yep, looks like I'm gonna hold out for an online vendor :'(

15. Bonesdad

Bonesdad Platinum Member

If you don't watch TV much now, I don't think 3D is going to be something to bring you back to the tube. Personally, I haven't even looked at a 3D tv, plenty of 3D going on around me without having it in my set

16. DrPizza

Administrator

Anyone else care to comment on that television? Not sure how I missed it - I don't have a Sam's club card. But, if that's a decent set, worth paying the price of a membership on top of, then doesn't sound bad to me. Edit: sounds like a good television; checked reviews on avs forums. But, what are the odds of getting one? Is this a wait in line for 2 hours and find out that the first 6 people in line bought the only 6 sets they have?

#16 DrPizza, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  17. dbk

dbk Lifer

Yeah, I'm not too familiar with Sam's Club.. I know Costco is selling the same TV now for $300 more. I'm debating on this one or the 60" Vizio at Walmart but I expect that to be an even bigger challenge than Sam's Club.

I wonder if Costco would price match...:confused:

18. DrPizza

Administrator

Apparently, Sam's club will have it online starting at (11pm on the 22nd?). I wonder if I can call, "hi, is the television available? Okay, I want to purchase a membership and the television." Otherwise, there's no sense in getting a membership for me - there's just two of us living in the house (I don't need 25 pound boxes of pretzels), AND, the nearest Sam's club is well over an hour away.

19. Steve

Steve Lifer

Black Friday sales typically exclude price matching as well as reserving for pickup, as a general rule.

20. Zap

Zap Elite Member

That should make your choice easier. Just buy based on...
    1) Cheapest
    2) Has features you want (inputs, "smart" TV, etc.)
    3) You can get your hands on (if you don't want to stand in line and fight others for doorbusters)

Really? Got a reference to that? What would shipping cost? This is the $1000 65" Vizio, right? I was considering the 60" Vizio for $700. Sam's Club is having a "private pre-Black Friday sale" on 11/18 after-hours. I'm wondering if I should get that (if I can) or hold off for the 65".

VIP Member Event (yes I got an invitation, probably along with everyone else)

Current TV is a 42" LCD from 2006. The Vizio Razer is an edge lit LED, besides being much larger.

Crap, wonder if it will fit in the back of a WRX hatchback? D:

EDIT: On samsclub.com it says free standard shipping. And I looked at the ad scan and it says "also online." Maybe I'll go that route?

GRRRR, 65" only has 3x HDMI while 60" has 4x. Also, both only have a single component input. Probably can live with that...

I might try for the 60", and then try for the 65" if I am unable to get the 60" ("10 per club").

#20 Zap, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  21. slag

slag Diamond Member

What's the need for multiple hdmi inputs? I imagine most everyone will be plugging their devices into a receiver anyway and then plugging the receiver into the TV. Run the xbox, blu ray, cable/satellite box, htpc, etc, all through your receiver for surround sound and then plug the receiver into the TV.

22. zero koopa

zero koopa Member

Ya 3D is a gimmick but most of the TV's that have it also seem to benchmark better across the board. So whether that is the processor or the type of glass they use, the 3D tvs seem to have better quality components. I have a Panasonic GT30 and enjoy the 3D on it. Avatar 3D is a must for anyone that gets a 3D TV. It may not be an everyday thing to sit down and watch your TV with the 3D glasses on, but once you have the ability, its fun to mess around.

23. DrPizza

Administrator

Bah! Went to look at the televisions at wallyworld. Of course, the big televisions are above your head, so you can't cast your eyes upon them as you would in your living room. Wifey, "no. Too big." :( She's fine with 60", but not with 65".

#23 DrPizza, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  24. Steve

Steve Lifer

BJ's Wholesale and Electronics Expo added to OP.

25. dbk

dbk Lifer

So the Walmart 60" Vizio TV is gonna go on sale at 10pm.. but they're also doing an event at 8pm.. when's an appropriate time to "line up" for the TV? be there before 8pm? or be in the store before 10? Are they gonna have two lines for both events or just one line for both?