Black Friday approaches...Xbox One or PS4?

XPac

Jul 28, 2002
I had the original PS back in college, but when the PS2 came out with "limited" supplies I got pissed off and jumped ship and went with the original Xbox.

Later, I stuck with Xbox and purchased the 360.

At this point I'm not particularly loyal to either brand, and I don't really have an objective reason to go with either one so I'm looking for opinions. FWIW I'm leaning towards the PS4 ever so slightly at the moment.

I don't particularly care about the "entertainment center" options that the Xbox one has, I have plenty of devices that stream stuff and I don't need my cable box running through my game console.

That said, which would you go with and why? (I could theoretically purchase both but I feel like that's kinda overkill, I love gaming now and then, but I'm older now and run my own company so I don't have/spend enough time gaming to really justify owning both).

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
It's always, for the 18th time one of these threads has popped up, going to be about games. The Xbox One definitely seems to be winning in the realms of price and games, as you can get an Xbox One for about $50 less than a PS4, or if the prices are the same, you get anywhere from 1-4 games with the Xbox.

The real gap comes with the dearth of holiday titles for the PS4 though, in my opinion. You have the horror game Until Dawn and the remaster of the Uncharted series, but that's about the entire first-party story for the console over the past 6 months. Microsoft offers the 30-game Rare Replay compilation, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (the original in a full remaster with the other 3 games via backwards compatibility), Forza 6, Halo 5, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. It'll balance a bit better in the first-half of next year, when Sony pushes out Uncharted 4 and the Ratchet & Clank remake against Microsoft's Quantum Break and ReCore, among others.

If you're big into third-person action/adventure games over all else, Sony will probably win out. They've long been the better source of such games, and The Last Guardian and Horizon: Zero Dawn won't do anything to hurt that. If you like shooters and racing, Forza, Halo, and Gears are going to be hard to beat.

Oct 25, 2006
As much as I want to, I don't think I can justify either purchase.

The majority of games coming out are probably coming out for PC.

On the PS4 side, we have a good amount of games, but the exclusive ones are all single player so no harm in waiting.

On the Xbox side we have Halo 5 and GoW. Both of which are good I guess, bur GoW is coming out on PC, so meh.

Man, I'm trying really hard to justify either to myself, and I'm failing.

Last edited:

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I think it's because you guys just don't like the games, not that they're not there. For starters, while Gears Ultimate will go to PC, it won't have the backwards compatible releases that the Xbox One version does, and it doesn't have a release date (not even a vague one). Rare Replay isn't on PC (though you can emulate a lot of the older stuff). Sunset Overdrive isn't on PC. Halo 5 isn't, nor is The Master Chief Collection. Forza 5, Forza 6, and Forza Horizon 2 aren't PC offerings. Quantum Break is close and doesn't have a planned PC release, I don't think. Madden isn't on PC (and the sports games that are--FIFA and NBA 2K--likely don't get the same level of attention).

If you have a 360, I'd recommend getting out from under it ASAP, because the Xbox One backwards compatibility will murder its resale value, if it hasn't already.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I think it's because you guys just don't like the games, not that they're not there.
Yeah, that kind of goes without saying. Just as Wii Fit would never get me to buy a Wii U, Forza would never get me to buy an Xbox. If I made purchases based purely on the existence of exclusives, I'd have bought a Wii U long ago.

P.S. I probably won't be able to give Nintendo my money fast enough when the next Zelda game comes out.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I sold my old gaming rig and gpu and bought both in the end. Console gaming seems more relaxing to me currently. Crazy prices on games currently so I'm buying a lot that look interesting too me.

Unfortunately for me their are exclusives on both sides I want to play.

The ability to share games and Xbox gold with my son was a big plus in favor of the Xbox. Got a sweet deal on the 1tb Tomb Raider bundle at BestBuy. Only into it for $250 after the free $50 gift card(got 2 due to manager error) and selling the free copy of black ops 3 I got.

I still have a 4.7GHz 4790k rig waiting for a next generation gpu to jump backing into PC gaming if/when I decide too.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I still have a 4.7GHz 4790k rig waiting for a next generation gpu to jump backing into PC gaming if/when I decide too.

DOOM demands it, haha. That might be the one game I upgrade my GPU to play (sitting on a 5850 that is perfectly fine for my current library). Also on the fence about The Division on console or PC, will depend on what my peers do.

Not a bad call on getting both, if you find the games to play. Personally, I went Wii U second, since games like Smash and Kart just don't have alternatives on the One or PS4. MLB The Show is the big PS4 title for me, nothing else is especially intriguing. Well, KH 2.8, but I've gotta play 1.5 and 2.5 first.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The fact that a lot of PC releases are butchered beyond repair (see Batman Arkham Knight that still isn't 100% fixed and is confirmed to never get mGPU support) it kind of warrants a console (or both in my case) so I can pick the best release to buy. I got Batman on PS4 and sold it for $35 about a week after it launched and I completed it. The game was unplayable on PC. Besides that, there are enough games on both the XB1 and PS4 for me. I haven't used my PS4 much lately since I stopped playing Destiny for a while and started playing Forza 6 a bit more but there is always the odd PSN+ freebie that I try.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Indeed, I agree that we get enough in the form of console exclusives to warrant AT LEAST one console. I'm hoping DOOM, as one of the classic PC franchises, will get a PC-first mentality attached to it. I think the PC community really needs it, with the slow push from Unreal and the abandonment of Quake. The lack of quality PC ports, paired with my lost interest in WoW, has really kept me from doing anything on PC in a quite a while.

tjtech94

Dec 2, 2015
www.iphonescreenrepairmn.com
I just got my XB1 on BF - I held out this long because I was trying to exercise some self-discipline as I know I put too much time on it lol. Unfortunately for me, the siren call of Black Ops 3 could not be ignored!

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I went ahead and picked up the Splatoon/Smash Bros Wii U bundle on Black Friday. 1080p 60 FPS smashin', baby.